IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone have any wrinkles in their seat's leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 08:06 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I have dirt on my mats. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-02-06, 08:41 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I have dirt on my mats. Anyone else have this problem?
Seriously LOL

People... its a car... a great car... but its not indestructible or resistant to any and all wear... I have wrinkles in my seats in some places as well... guess I cant sit inside it anymore,

Give me a break... what are you going to do when you get your first rock chip??? Call up Lexus Corporate?
Old 06-02-06, 08:50 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Isn't that what leather does naturally as it ages? Look at your leather recliners. I think this is a natural thing that is going to happen. You still want to clean it and protect it with the leather cleaners and conditioners but I think the wrinkling is a part of the leather process.
Old 06-02-06, 08:54 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Botox leather wrinkle remover, followed by Oil of Olay anti-aging conditioner. They have to be reapllied every 6 months.
Old 06-02-06, 09:01 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, be careful on how much conditioner you use. If you use too much, the leather will stretch when you sit on it and that can lead to wrinkles also. I usually apply a very thin coat and won't use it unless I know I won't be driving the car for at least a day.
Old 06-02-06, 09:28 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sab504
Well heres a picture. Good luck if you can find something to work out the wrinkles. Let me know
Thanks for the picture. Yeah, mine looks way worse than that. And, mine is more to the right... on that seperate bolster-like section, where your legs don't even touch.
Old 06-02-06, 09:30 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aclarke
Seriously LOL

People... its a car... a great car... but its not indestructible or resistant to any and all wear... I have wrinkles in my seats in some places as well... guess I cant sit inside it anymore,

Give me a break... what are you going to do when you get your first rock chip??? Call up Lexus Corporate?
Thanks for your helpful insight, I guess.

I'm not whining about something that's common or that is normal. I have wrinkles on a part of the seat that doesn't even receive touch, and I've had the car for less than a week. The wrinkles are very distinct, as if that one section of leather was bad or something. If it were wrinkles that looked like normal wear and tear, then I'd be perfectly fine with it. But no where else in the car has this appeared, and rightfully so, since I've hardly even driven the car.
Old 06-02-06, 09:32 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is4me2
Isn't that what leather does naturally as it ages? Look at your leather recliners. I think this is a natural thing that is going to happen. You still want to clean it and protect it with the leather cleaners and conditioners but I think the wrinkling is a part of the leather process.
You're right, that is what happens when leather naturally ages. But I've had the car for less than a week. The rest of the interior in the car looks flawless, as it should on a brand new car. But this one trapezoid section on the seat that doesn't even receive touch looks like it's 5 years old.
Old 06-02-06, 09:33 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I love sarcasm just as much as anybody. I've worn out many a car that came with leather seating surfaces. I know what the patina of use/age looks like. BUT, when the car is delivered with a large, permanent crease in the seat before the car has been used is marginally acceptable. In the case of my car it is not from use, it is from being sewn/assembled incorrectly. AND it is much more apparent than the one pictured. Oh well. I'm leaving it there as a monument to an imperfect world.

As for keeping my Lexus perfect in every other way I have decided what to do. I am mothballing it this weekend. Think what people will say when my great- grandkids pull it out into the sunlight in the year 2046!! People will come from miles around just to see an almost perfect 2006 IS350. Almost perfect cuz they'll see the wrinkle in the leather and see some soil on the floor mats!!
Old 06-02-06, 10:02 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I think some of us are simply making observations about the leather, it's not likely that we'll seek warranty replacement or complain to Lexus Corporate. When some designs a product, they should keep in mind that the owner would like for it to look as new and fresh for as long as possible. I really don't think Lexus simply didn't care if the seats developed wrinkles in a day or a week, or even in a month or a year. Normal wear and tear is fine, but the one picture posted so far does not do justice. I've had my car for 6 months so take a look and let me know what you think. It's not awful but it is a bit premature.

Last edited by kensteele; 06-02-06 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 10:31 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little wrinkling is normal, but just watch out for premature cracking/peeling of the leather. This happened on my driver's side seat on my last GS at about 20k miles.

Fortunately, my SA ordered a new seat cover under warranty for me.
Old 06-02-06, 10:39 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

That's what I'm hoping will not happen, is the premature cracking. My seat where you sit pretty much look's like Ken's picture there of the back of the seat. I was going to work on cleaning it this weekend and putting some conditioner on it. I thought they were aging quite prematurely too. My car is 3 months old and only 1,800 miles. Seems way too soon to have the look of a several year old aged leather seat.....and I'm about 135 lbs. so it shouldn't be too much of a burden on the seat
Old 06-02-06, 02:20 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

no matter the weight of your *** body etc...the leather will naturally pinch and crease like i said before...no matter how long you had the car. now when you start gettin insane cracks or creases thats something to worry about. as for some of these pictures there is nothing to worry about its all NAturaL
Old 06-02-06, 02:22 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

another thing i noticed is most of you have the ventilated seats which more than likely has weaker points than the regular leather seats...thats why i chose the flat leather...i dont like the way the leather is on the vented seats =P and who needs vented seats that blow air not ac?
Old 06-02-06, 02:35 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

here is where my wrinkles are located.

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Anyone have any wrinkles in their seat's leather?