IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone have any wrinkles in their seat's leather?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 02:47 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Also, be careful on how much conditioner you use. If you use too much, the leather will stretch when you sit on it and that can lead to wrinkles also. I usually apply a very thin coat and won't use it unless I know I won't be driving the car for at least a day.
In addition the seating serfaces are very thin (the perferated area). I used a bit too much conditioner on one of the rear seats and while I was wiping away the excess the leather actually folded over. Luckily I flattened it back out and when it dried it was fine. As al mentioned be sparing with any liquid used on the leather.
Old 06-03-06, 01:33 AM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it also depends on how much use your car actually gets like how long are you actually sitting in your car and lumbar pads if you wanna call em that hahah is the most common spot for the leather to start getting creases. i have a couple myself but nothing thats insane or out of control
Old 06-03-06, 04:59 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexy250
another thing i noticed is most of you have the ventilated seats which more than likely has weaker points than the regular leather seats...thats why i chose the flat leather...i dont like the way the leather is on the vented seats =P and who needs vented seats that blow air not ac?
although ventilated seats are relatively new, perforated leather seats have been aroung for a long time--the perforations are too tiny to cause any weakening.
Old 07-02-06, 05:15 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

looks very normal to me. seat folds are exactly the same as the early 90's MX-6, and that doesn't have perforations..... i don't think it will get much worse than this.
Old 07-02-06, 05:51 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They do make leather seats that don't wrinkle...they use a substitute material called "vinyl".

Old 07-02-06, 11:32 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

My thoughts exactly--based on some of the comments, I'm wondering--is this is the first car some of the posters have owned with leather seats?

Longer term, if you are concerned about cracking, then try a seat cover--e.g. sheepskin.
Old 08-25-06, 08:49 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

sorry to say guys, this in pretty much normal, the acura TL's are much worse, they look horrible only after a little while and the RL's worse, bad for a 50k car
Old 08-26-06, 05:41 AM
Shinedown
Driver

My '99 bmw 540i's(soon to be replaced with a is350) leather seats still look new after 86,000 miles. The bmw seats are not preforated, but I think its more an issue of leather quality and thickness. Although lexus is a premium brand, I think the japanese car companies use soft but thin leather for their seats. My wifes FX35 has the same wrinkling issues and it only has 10,000 miles.
Old 08-26-06, 05:58 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one for you ... I have something UNDER the leather of my passenger seat cushion. It looks like maybe a heavy string or maybe a wire. I didn't notice it until the sun shone across it just right one day and I saw this little ripple in the leather. I could easily feel it by running my finger across it.

So I mentioned it to the dealer, and three different guys looked at it and felt it. They agreed there was something under there that wasn't supposed to be there, and the Big Guy said the only thing they could do was to replace the whole seat bottom. I said okay, whatever it takes. I've yet to hear from them again, so I assume it's on order.

I'm just concerned that something like that will make for a pressure point that will cause premature wear. Not a wrinkle per se, but a leather weirdness ...
Old 08-26-06, 09:30 AM
dana_daen
Driver

First day Ipicked up my car I noticed the band on the armrest in the backseat was so pleated and wrinkled it look like it was shrink wraped. Phoned my sales rep and they replaced it under warrantee.

My buddies thought I was nuts for such a small detail, but for that price it should be near perfect. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 08-26-06, 10:44 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

i have wrinkles in my drivers seat. i mentioned it to my service rep on my last oil change and they are replacing the driver's seat cover next week. if it really bothers you, let your service dept know. i was pretty surprised they agreed to replace it.
Old 08-26-06, 11:30 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_250
i have wrinkles in my drivers seat. i mentioned it to my service rep on my last oil change and they are replacing the driver's seat cover next week. if it really bothers you, let your service dept know. i was pretty surprised they agreed to replace it.
My dealer said they can't replace the cover. The entire bottom cushion has to be replaced as a unit. I'll bet you're getting the whole enchilada.
Old 04-25-07, 10:45 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sceptical when it comes to Lexus leather quality. I mean they're soft and comfy and all but they don't seem to "hold up" well if you know what i mean. All leather wrinkles over time but it seams the Lexus/Toyota leathers sag and collapses.

I take notice of leather in other brands and i think audi and Gold have extremely good leather in them...maybe it's in the design of the seat or something...

As for preventing premature wrinkles and wear and tear, does anyone use any kind of seat cover? I know it sound stupid but i hate to have old seat when it comes to selling. I'm thinking of covering my seat.
Old 04-26-07, 11:41 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I paid close attention to my seats on my lunch break and I definitely have some wrinkles. My car is only 3 weeks old. But leather wears easily. It's like the leather couch I have in my house, the damn thing was completely wrinkled after a month (and no it wasn't a cheap POS, lol).

Some people here have mentioned BMW and Audi's leather. I will ask you this... Are either of those seats nearly as comfortable as the ones on the IS? IMO, the answer is no. They are rock hard. In order to make the soft comfortable seats that we all love, the cushion has to give more, thus the leather is going to stretch easier than it would in a BMW where the seats dont move when you sit in them.

Does it suck? Of course. Is it worth talking to the dealer about? No. Leather is going to wear and IMO ours probably will wear faster than others but to me that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to sit in those incredibly comfortable seats.
Old 04-26-07, 02:53 PM
illawgical
Driver

I also have wrinkles

Quick Reply: Anyone have any wrinkles in their seat's leather?