IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone have any wrinkles in their seat's leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 03:51 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyngel
For some reason, I have some wrinkles on the right-side seat section of the driver's seat. I don't remember them being there a few days ago, though. My body never touches that part of the seat. Any advice? Would warranty cover something like that? I looked at the passenger seat, and yesterday, there weren't any wrinkles. But today, I noticed a few starting to creep in. It's really making me worried.
happenes to my car too....i think those are the things u can't avoid.

as long as it doesnt crack (that means u have to clean/condition it every X months), i wouldnt worry too much about it.....

see this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275566

Last edited by kickin8; 04-26-07 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 05:03 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a lot, I always drive everywhere and my car is almost packed everytime.
Old 04-27-07, 06:18 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The leather on my IS 350's seats is fine thus far after 6 months of ownership. Comparing that to the leather seats in my old Acura TL that were already very very wrinkled and had butt prints in it after that same amount of time. The Lexus leather is quite a bit better than Acuras. I also think that once you have a more cushioned seat, that they leather gets stretched more easily leading to wrinkles. BMW and Audi seats are harder and have less give. Less give = less wrinkling because the leather doesn't get stretched.
Old 04-27-07, 07:05 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds

Some people here have mentioned BMW and Audi's leather. I will ask you this... Are either of those seats nearly as comfortable as the ones on the IS? IMO, the answer is no. They are rock hard. In order to make the soft comfortable seats that we all love, the cushion has to give more, thus the leather is going to stretch easier than it would in a BMW where the seats dont move when you sit in them.

Does it suck? Of course. Is it worth talking to the dealer about? No. Leather is going to wear and IMO ours probably will wear faster than others but to me that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to sit in those incredibly comfortable seats.
There are a few varieties of BMW seats. In the new generation types, the base models seats (eg non electric seats in 3 series) are dud period. Looking at the Z4 seats they are different, hard but very comfy. Most of audi and VWs have hard leather seats much like the old Ferarris. I prefer hard leather over soft as they do not sag or collaps overtime.

Compare to new-and-wrinkles-already

Last edited by ldc; 04-27-07 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 07:40 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Yea BMW (among things...) seats are not nearly as nice or comfy. I just noticed some larger wrinkles in my passenger seat this morning in fact, and my car is also 3 weeks old. Its leather.... Nothing more can be said.
Old 04-27-07, 07:44 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
There are a few varieties of BMW seats. In the new generation types, the base models seats (eg non electric seats in 3 series) are dud period. Looking at the Z4 seats they are different, hard but very comfy. Most of audi and VWs have hard leather seats much like the old Ferarris. I prefer hard leather over soft as they do not sag or collaps overtime.

Compare to new-and-wrinkles-already
Those "wrinkles" are a design technique. They want the leather to be like that. It's very common on couches and chairs.
Old 04-27-07, 06:06 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
Those "wrinkles" are a design technique. They want the leather to be like that. It's very common on couches and chairs.
I think it also has to do with what's underneath/inside, along with the thickness of the leather fabric (underlays or whatever it is). I'm not heavy or big in size and i dont think my seats well sag too quickly but i feel overtime they will. If you're big and fat for example then you will see saggings in no time.

With counches for the home, there are the hard leather ones and these are cement hard, and won't sag. E.g

Old 11-14-07, 10:58 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

intentionally bumping this thread just to see how everyone's leather is doing now. for those with wrinkles and problems earlier, has it gotten worse or is it still the same?
Old 11-15-07, 12:04 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sab504
Well heres a picture. Good luck if you can find something to work out the wrinkles. Let me know
wow that sucks i have 4k miles and no sign of that ....i only have small wrinkles on the edge of driver seat....
Old 11-15-07, 02:33 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

leather ages as do humans, Its the process. I have wrinkles to on my seats its a big annoying but its having the luxury of leather seats, just condition and care for your seats so they will not crack. Maybe Lexus should come out with a line of simulated leather like bmw and mercedez mb tex, which will last almost forever without a sign of wear like leather, but I prefer real leather over simulated. any good care products CL members?
Old 11-15-07, 05:58 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have them also...But they don't bother me. If I could only get the rest of the seats to age along with the driver seat it wouldn't look so bad. I kinda like the look of wrinkle leather tho. And the King ranch Ford leather also.(base-ball-glove)
Old 11-15-07, 07:20 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have all kinds of roushing.
Old 11-15-07, 09:38 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Still no wrinkles of any significance to report.
Old 11-15-07, 09:50 AM
Axvel
Driver

Old 11-15-07, 10:31 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

I have a few minor ones, nothing major.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any wrinkles in their seat's leather?