IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Locked Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 05:50 PM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
That kinda of defeats the whole point of vehicle security! If Lexus can open it up, then so can thieves! I was told by lexus, probably about 10 years ago. If you lose or lock the key inside, there's nothing they can do except break the glass, etc.

Also, with all the whiners wrt to DLRs, I'd hate to think what those types would say about an OnStar like system. It would be 10x worse.
Perhaps, but an OnStar like system would have saved the day in our case - the doors would have been opened quickly and my wife would have made her initial flight, her connection, and her vacation plans would have been intact.

Again, isn't one of the fundamental premises of the Lexus Smart key system is that you cannot lock your key in the car?
Old 06-03-06, 06:03 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengalfang
Actually advanced theives can. read.

It was posted in another thread too. So using your logic (in reverse) ..... If Theives can open it up, then so can Lexus!
I saw that before. The article is pretty vague, and never actually said what the thieves did. They may heva broken the window to get in, then used the computer to just defeat the immobilizer. Not to gain evtry to the vehicle. We don't actually know (but that would be my guess).

Originally Posted by mkivbadger
Perhaps, but an OnStar like system would have saved the day in our case - the doors would have been opened quickly and my wife would have made her initial flight, her connection, and her vacation plans would have been intact.

Again, isn't one of the fundamental premises of the Lexus Smart key system is that you cannot lock your key in the car?
OnStar can just as easily track or lock people out. That's what people would be whining about.

As for SmartKey, it out smarted you... Key 1, You 0.

Last edited by TimboIS; 06-03-06 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 06:23 PM
Bengalfang
Driver

"The expert gang suspected of stealing two of David Beckham’s BMW X5 SUVs in the last six months did so by using software programs on a laptop to wirelessly break into the car’s computer, open the doors, and start the engine. "

Not that vague to me.... Regardless, there is a way to copy the signal the Key Fob outputs (they do make new Key Fobs for people when they lose the originals afterall), no security system is perfect. I am sure it's not easy, but I would imagine Lexus dealerships would and should be able to.

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I saw that before. The article is pretty vague, and never actually said what the thieves did. They may heva broken the window to get in, then used the computer to just defeat the immobilizer. Not to gain evtry to the vehicle. We don't actually know (but that would be my guess).

OnStar can just as easily track or lock people out. That's what people would be whining about.

As for SmartKey, it out smarted you... Key 1, You 0.
Old 06-03-06, 06:44 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by Bengalfang
Not that vague to me.... Regardless, there is a way to copy the signal the Key Fob outputs (they do make new Key Fobs for people when they lose the originals afterall), no security system is perfect. I am sure it's not easy, but I would imagine Lexus dealerships would and should be able to.
Oops. OK, so I re-read. Maybe the original poster should have abandon the vehicle, and eventually some enterprising thief would have gotten into it as per the article and retrieved their key for them.
Old 06-03-06, 07:06 PM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
so help me out here, i'm trying to recreate the problem but some many variable so confusing so i'm might have it wrong.

here's what i did step by step in detail:

1.start with all windows down, all door unlocked, trunk closed.
2.place key fob #1 on the back passenger seat behind driver by tossing it thru the open window.
3.walk about to back of trunk with key fob #2 in my pocket, touch the trunk button and trunk opens.
4.take key fob #2 out of my pocket, with the key fob in my hand, reach way into the trunk extending my arm well within, press key fob #2 lock button, hear one short beep indicating that doors are locked, verified that four doors are locked.
5.drop the key fob #2 onto the trunk floor.
6.remove my arm LOL and close the trunk door.
7.hear one long beep which is a warning, trunk door is now completely closed and key fob #2 is inside the trunk and key fob #1 is still on the back seat. verify that all four doors are locked.
8.wait 10 second, i dunno why, just waited just in case anything happens (like maybe my doors will unlock themselves or something).
9.but they didn't, so now what do i do, i'm locked out?
10.touch the trunk button, and the trunk opens.

My emergency key is inside the house and I never used it. Did I get some of the steps wrong, did I recreate your incident correctly? What happened when you try #10?
Ken - you are the man - thanks for your intelligent post and attempts to recreate our situation. I just recreated the situation as you outlined above and found the button under the trunk lid to push and viola, the trunk opened! Too bad that neither we nor the Lexus delarship knew about this button as we would have avoided our flight miss as well as the tow truck carriage and the local dealership entry damage!!!! Based on this exercise, I will readilly eat crow regarding my allegations of a Lexus design flaw. Instead, it appears to be a customer/delearship ignorance issue! Damn, we could have saved a lot of frustration and aggravation if any of us knew of or tried this button!

Thanks again for your thoughful & objective reply!
Old 06-03-06, 07:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-03-06, 08:31 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Ken - you are the man - thanks for your intelligent post and attempts to recreate our situation. I just recreated the situation as you outlined above and found the button under the trunk lid to push and viola, the trunk opened! Too bad that neither we nor the Lexus delarship knew about this button as we would have avoided our flight miss as well as the tow truck carriage and the local dealership entry damage!!!! Based on this exercise, I will readilly eat crow regarding my allegations of a Lexus design flaw. Instead, it appears to be a customer/delearship ignorance issue! Damn, we could have saved a lot of frustration and aggravation if any of us knew of or tried this button!

OMG. You never tried the trunk release button at the rear?!? I assumed that's what you had been trying all along (why I mention the antenna by the spare just for that reason, it's within range of the fob placed anywhere within the trunk). That's the only way I ever open the trunk. I've even left my fob in a bag in the trunk and the release works. I guess I never understood that you hadn't even tried that, may the deraler just assumed the same thing. I guess what they say about ASSUME it true.

Good work to Ken for reverse engineering the ACTUAL situation, and not the ASSUMED situation.

Curious, how do you normally get into the trunk. I always leave the fob in my pocket/bag. I just assume it's always there, as I never evcer even handle the fob day-to-day.
Old 06-03-06, 08:33 PM
Bengalfang
Driver

Did the dealer never show you the button before? Or you never found the button before? Oh well.... I guess you learned something. Expensive lesson though.
Old 06-03-06, 09:22 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

I would still write a letter to Lexus Corporate and complain that the dealer is a moron.
Old 06-04-06, 07:38 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Here I thought the reason the trunk wouldn't open was because the button in the glove box to push when you use valet service was depressed. That would be another way you would not be able to get in the trunk if you locked your fob in there. Did you recreate that scenario Ken?
Old 06-04-06, 11:06 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4me2
Here I thought the reason the trunk wouldn't open was because the button in the glove box to push when you use valet service was depressed. That would be another way you would not be able to get in the trunk if you locked your fob in there. Did you recreate that scenario Ken?
Yes. If you depress the button in the glove box, the trunk is going to lock and stay locked. In this scenario, if you figured out how to drop the key in the trunk and press the lock button in the trunk, you're going to get locked out. Only the physical emergency key can override the glove box lockout button.
Old 06-04-06, 12:17 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dabigman
I would still write a letter to Lexus Corporate and complain that the dealer is a moron.
Yes, the dealer should have demonstrated the trunk button and how it works with the smart key. But, every owner of a new car, particularly one as complex as the IS, should read the Owner's Manual carefully. Section 1 in the manual deals with the smart key system. On page 5 is a picture of the trunk button under the sub-heading of "Unlocking the trunk." It seems like both parties here are at fault for failure to inform and failure to read.
Old 06-04-06, 12:47 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm confused. Doesn't this still beg the question of why the DOOR buttons wouldn't operate to unlock them?

I mean, if the trunk release button would work (fob in range inside the trunk), then why wouldn't the door release buttons work (fob in range inside the car)? Because of the sequence of pressing the lock button and the particular fob inside the trunk?

I don't have an IS at this point, but my other cars with smartkeys (2 different brands) both refuse to lock the doors when a fob is inside the car. They beep a warning signal, then unlock all doors. Ditto for the trunk ... a beep and the trunk promptly reopens.

You may not like for it to do that, but it's an idiot-proof way of keeping you from locking the fob(s) inside!
Old 06-04-06, 01:07 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

Again, the Owner's Manual sheds some light. On page 11 there are some notes about the "Entry Function" (opening the locked door by just holding the door handle). One of the notes says, "If the wireless remote control is used to lock the doors when the electronic key is near the vehicle, there is the possibility that the door may not be unlocked by the entry function. Use the wireless remote control to unlock the doors."

When Ken recreated the problem, he locked the doors with the remote and could not unlock them using the entry function.
Old 06-04-06, 03:54 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm confused. Doesn't this still beg the question of why the DOOR buttons wouldn't operate to unlock them?

I mean, if the trunk release button would work (fob in range inside the trunk), then why wouldn't the door release buttons work (fob in range inside the car)? Because of the sequence of pressing the lock button and the particular fob inside the trunk?

I don't have an IS at this point, but my other cars with smartkeys (2 different brands) both refuse to lock the doors when a fob is inside the car. They beep a warning signal, then unlock all doors. Ditto for the trunk ... a beep and the trunk promptly reopens.

You may not like for it to do that, but it's an idiot-proof way of keeping you from locking the fob(s) inside!

post #11 in this thread.

Quick Reply: Locked Out