Locked Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 06:47 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
post #11 in this thread.
Thanks, but this post deals only with the fob being in the trunk. The lady's fob was in the back seat.
Old 06-04-06, 07:02 PM
dmacneill
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Thanks, but this post deals only with the fob being in the trunk. The lady's fob was in the back seat.
There were two fobs in the original post. One was in the back seat in a briefcase and the other was in the trunk. The one in the trunk was used to lock the doors by pushing the lock button on the fob and then it was left in the trunk. The doors would not unlock in this situation without using a fob, and the poster didn't know about the trunk opening button on the outside of the trunk. That button would have opened the trunk since the other fob was in the trunk.
Old 06-04-06, 07:16 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The first key fob that was in the back seat was overriden by the second fob keypress to LOCK all doors (not trunk).

Range and location of key fob doesn't matter when the key press says LOCK all doors. In other words, you can place one key fob on the seat, close the door while standing outside your car, and press the LOCK buttton on the second key fob and lock all doors, essentially locking the other key fob inside the car. Note that you cannot use the door handle button to do this, it will reject LOCK as long as there is a key fob inside the car within range. You must use a deliberate key press on the key fob to accomplish this. Note none of this will work with the engine running.

Confused?
Old 06-08-06, 07:50 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Default Happy Ending

This crazy story has a happy ending....the dealership that finally got our car open for us after we "thought" we locked ourselves out placed a follow up service call and after I ate a bit a crow with the Service Mgr. and voiced my opinion that the mechanics also should have know about the trunk release button, she very quickly agreed and told me to bring the car in and they would order and replace the marred trim at their expense! I am very grateful to the dealership for their offer to make my new car truly new again!
Old 06-08-06, 08:04 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

great news! Glad it all worked out . . . this was definately a strange situation that we can all learn something from.
Old 06-08-06, 09:11 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good, so you cant lock your keys in the trunk.

My salesman didnt show me much about the car. I guess because the car was new. I didnt realize there was an armrest in the back, with cup holders, until my cousin went in to buy an IS250.

I also wasnt shown the trunk release, the trunk light, auto window roll down.... etc
Old 06-08-06, 09:42 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Default Thanks to All

Just a thanks to all who responded with positive feedback and sincerely tried to help us figure this out....in the end, "many brains" are still better than one especially when the one is so close to the situation! I have now nicknamed the car HAL (2001 A Space Adessey) and will definately pay more attention to what it is telling me! Thanks especially to Ken who remained supportive throughout the thread and was a huge help in solving the puzzle!
Old 06-08-06, 09:45 AM
syn1313
Rookie

we have a button in the glove box..??? my wife found out about the trunk button , and i was like wowwwwww.. and she was like ohhhhhhhhh... but now i can show her bout the glove box button and be like ohhhhhhh and she will be like wowwwwwww...
Old 06-08-06, 10:38 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syn1313
we have a button in the glove box..??? my wife found out about the trunk button , and i was like wowwwwww.. and she was like ohhhhhhhhh... but now i can show her bout the glove box button and be like ohhhhhhh and she will be like wowwwwwww...
Too funny

I actually didn't know this either. I'll go check if my GS has the same glove box button.
Old 06-08-06, 11:04 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

New car owners not knowing about these things on their cars makes me wonder what the HELL the salespeople are doing when they are supposed to be going over every feature in the car with their customers so that they get EXCELLENT on their customer surveys.

It would also be good for new owners to at least read the Quick Owners Manual.

That button in the glove box is for you to use (press) when you valet the car so that valets cannot open your trunk.
Old 06-08-06, 11:36 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Originally Posted by is4me2
New car owners not knowing about these things on their cars makes me wonder what the HELL the salespeople are doing when they are supposed to be going over every feature in the car with their customers so that they get EXCELLENT on their customer surveys.

It would also be good for new owners to at least read the Quick Owners Manual.

That button in the glove box is for you to use (press) when you valet the car so that valets cannot open your trunk.
I do know our Salesman went over a great deal of information....we were there for well over an hour. The retention of that much information is not that good when most people just want to get on the road and get going with their new vehicle....granted, some sales people may be better than others and some customers may retain more than others....it is what it is. This new owner did read the quick manual and then read through the "bible"; again, I knew I would not retain everything as I do not have a photographic memory...unfortunately &*%$ happened before I re-read and retained the info needed in my situation! Live and learn...sometimes the hard way.
Old 06-09-06, 02:10 PM
mike841
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Good, so you cant lock your keys in the trunk.

My salesman didnt show me much about the car. I guess because the car was new. I didnt realize there was an armrest in the back, with cup holders, until my cousin went in to buy an IS250.

I also wasnt shown the trunk release, the trunk light, auto window roll down.... etc
The salesman should've taken the time to show you those as well as most other features of the car. There is too much to go over everything, but he should've spent at least an hour with you when you came to pick up the car. Being a new model car is no excuse, they have training sessions that keep them up to date. He wasn't doing his job. Mine spent 1 1/2 hrs.