IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

10 k service

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 09:37 PM
heyheyhey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 k service

I took my car in for a 10 K oil change into the lexus service department. All I came into do was an oil change and they tel me its time for a 10K service. So I ask them how much it is and they tell me 180 dollars. So then I ask them what this service includes. They say:
1. Oil change
2. Tire rotation: (Which when they did it for my 5k service Put the rear tires on the front and the front on the rear.)
3. Tweek the drive shaft.... <---- can anyone tell me what that is? I asked the service guy what this is and he tells me they tighten the drive shaft... Its only been 10K does the car really need to have its drive shaft tightened?

-So all that comes out to 180 bucks when all I really need is the oil change... Is it worth it to get the other things done? Or is it not necessary?
Old 06-05-06, 09:39 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont get ripped off please. just get an oil change.
Old 06-06-06, 01:34 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heyheyhey
I took my car in for a 10 K oil change into the lexus service department. All I came into do was an oil change and they tel me its time for a 10K service. So I ask them how much it is and they tell me 180 dollars. So then I ask them what this service includes. They say:
1. Oil change
2. Tire rotation: (Which when they did it for my 5k service Put the rear tires on the front and the front on the rear.)
3. Tweek the drive shaft.... <---- can anyone tell me what that is? I asked the service guy what this is and he tells me they tighten the drive shaft... Its only been 10K does the car really need to have its drive shaft tightened?

-So all that comes out to 180 bucks when all I really need is the oil change... Is it worth it to get the other things done? Or is it not necessary?
How do they rotate the tyres when they are directional and different widths front to back? By my reckoning each tyre is unique to its position on the car.
Old 06-06-06, 01:41 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

lol, I would certainly hope they don't rotate a staggered set of tires.
Old 06-06-06, 06:10 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyheyhey
1. Oil change

Just think of it as the most expensive oil change you've ever paid for, because
nothing else was done to the car... Also, don't let them ever fool you into thinking
you need to do bring your car in for these silly 10k or 15k service intervals, because
you don't and it will NOT void your warranty... All you need to do to keep your warranty valid
is to get oil changes (along with air filter changes).
Old 06-06-06, 06:26 AM
jack278
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Big Andy
How do they rotate the tyres when they are directional and different widths front to back? By my reckoning each tyre is unique to its position on the car.
For my 350Z, they take off the tires from the wheels, and mount the tire to the opposite side of the car, and it costs about $80 for tire rotation alone.

But no, they definitely don't move the rear tires to the front or vise versa.
Old 06-06-06, 06:49 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yeah man don't do it. They are just trying to make a quick buck off of you.

No production car needs a 10k service.

Just get an oil change and necessary filter changes, thats it!
Old 06-06-06, 07:05 AM
attack7
Rookie

This is great information, thanks people.

So what about more major service intervals, like 30K, etc... worth doing at the dealer? Is a toyota dealer capable of doing this service well? (Usually they're a lot cheaper, and in my case, a lot closer)

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-06-06, 08:32 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
Just think of it as the most expensive oil change you've ever paid for, because
nothing else was done to the car... Also, don't let them ever fool you into thinking
you need to do bring your car in for these silly 10k or 15k service intervals, because
you don't and it will NOT void your warranty... All you need to do to keep your warranty valid
I have to disagree. You must do the minimum required maintenance outlined in the owner's manual to keep your warranty in effect. You definitely don't have to have it done at the dealership but you must either perform them yourself and have reasonably good evidence that you did it or take it to an independent shop and get a receipt.
Old 06-06-06, 09:08 AM
jack278
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by al503
I have to disagree. You must do the minimum required maintenance outlined in the owner's manual to keep your warranty in effect. You definitely don't have to have it done at the dealership but you must either perform them yourself and have reasonably good evidence that you did it or take it to an independent shop and get a receipt.
Never heard of that before, the only maintenance I do to my daily driven cars are oil changes, and I never have any problems gettting warranty work done.
Old 06-06-06, 09:19 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jack278
Never heard of that before, the only maintenance I do to my daily driven cars are oil changes, and I never have any problems gettting warranty work done.
Whether the dealership holds you responsible or not is another issue.

Regardless, if the manual requires an engine coolant flush every 30K miles and you never have one done, would they still have to replace your radiator under warranty if it rusts through? I don't think so.
Old 06-06-06, 09:33 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tony1
All you need to do to keep your warranty valid
Are you sure about that? If that was the case, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you when you were buying the car, and then (of course) push really hard to get you to buy the maintenance warranty. [At which point, I would've taken my downpayment back and bought a BMW]
Old 06-07-06, 09:57 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

all they do is re-torque the driveshaft flange bolts. nothing you can't do by yourself. they should only rotate the tires if you have an AWD. The AWD model has 17s all around. Unless you have an AWD I don't see the benefit of changing right to left. Go for the oil change only. And... if doing the balance of the service work yourself is perfectly acceptable in order to keep the warranty in effect, how can the prove that you did/did not perform the work (e.g. torquing the driveshaft flange bolts). There is so little maintenance required on this car. I find it hard to believe that Lexus would deny any warranty claim other than the driveshaft coming apart just because you didn't retighten them every 5K as the manual call for.
Old 06-07-06, 10:46 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
all they do is re-torque the driveshaft flange bolts. nothing you can't do by yourself. they should only rotate the tires if you have an AWD. The AWD model has 17s all around. Unless you have an AWD I don't see the benefit of changing right to left. Go for the oil change only. And... if doing the balance of the service work yourself is perfectly acceptable in order to keep the warranty in effect, how can the prove that you did/did not perform the work (e.g. torquing the driveshaft flange bolts). There is so little maintenance required on this car. I find it hard to believe that Lexus would deny any warranty claim other than the driveshaft coming apart just because you didn't retighten them every 5K as the manual call for.
If you're referring to one of my posts above, I agree that there really isn't that much to do during the 5 and 10K service. I was responding to another post above, which stated that the owner never did anything besides oil changes on his cars.

In terms of proof, that may be a little harder. I would just call your service advisor and ask him what the torque specs are. Mark that down in your notes of who you talked to and when. If you have a torque wrench and the right socket, you're good to go. If not, buy or borrow one and have at it.
Old 06-07-06, 01:11 PM
mort
Lead Lap

I am ready for my first oil change at 2000km and will do it myself. I will not change the oil every 2000km but always do my first on a new vehicle at that point.