IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear coat marred already

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 07:12 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear coat marred already

Well, as a continuation of the paint issues on another thread, the clear coat seems to damage very easily. Here is the damage done by a bird bomb today. It couldn't have been on the car more than 4 hours while at work. I can't watch it all the time. It was bound to happen.
Zaino was no protection unfortunately. I don't know what could protect the clear coat. we'll get over it. Its right below the rear window sill, passenger side . I don't remember such a problem on the previous Eclipse or the current Jeep paint. Not even the 10 year old truck paint, it has rock chips . Strange[IMG]

Last edited by GreyHound; 11-18-06 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 07:14 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird. I had some bird crap on the car for about three days... up until the weekend, when I had time to give it a proper wash. Afterward, the entire car looked perfect, including the spot that had the bird crap on it.
Old 06-06-06, 07:22 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

that is very strange . . . i havent heard of this problem yet, and i figured if it happend someone would have wrote about it.
Old 06-06-06, 07:52 PM
qwerty123
Driver School Candidate

Default Paint Problem Bird Bomb

Hello Greyhound,
If you don't have any, buy some Maguires Swirl Remover 2.0 or Maguires Show Room Glaze
also buy some Mircofiber cloths. Wet 1 cloth well with water then ring out well. Apply a little of the Glaze or Swirl remover (quarter size) and rub in a circle pattern lightly checking the area by letting it dry to a haze and wipe off with the 2nd Microfiber cloth. After the area is cleaned and back to normal apply a coat of wax to the area. Only attempt 2 cleanings. Have a detail shop look at if still there. Do not use Terry cloth. You can find these products at most auto product retail stores like PEP Boys, Auto Zone, or Advance Auto.
Good Luck
Remember take it easy with rubbing. Check your work...

Last edited by qwerty123; 06-06-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 08:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

try a clay bar, could be deposits, not actual clear coat damage
Old 06-06-06, 08:26 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
try a clay bar, could be deposits, not actual clear coat damage
good point. . .
Old 06-06-06, 08:31 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's clear coat damage. Bird turd will eat away at almost anything. If you leave it on long enough, it will etch glass.
Old 06-06-06, 08:41 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by al503
It's clear coat damage. Bird turd will eat away at almost anything. If you leave it on long enough, it will etch glass.

Plus one +

My truck got hammered at the beach by seagulls. I missed one on the roof and it was there for a week. When I washed again, the paint was wrinkled and damage was significant.
Old 06-06-06, 09:35 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

STOP FEEDING ANIMALS HUMAN FOOD!!!

seems like the bird poop has been more acidic lately.... i had the same problem... my friend help me polish it out.. took like 30 mins to get it out =(
Old 06-07-06, 03:27 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

I carry mist and wipe auto detailing spray or cleaner. if i see just one poop spot, it get it ASAP....

also, silicone based auto detailing sprays, like turtle wax premium work well to protect
Old 06-07-06, 05:05 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

maybe its me...but i was told that our car doesn't even have a clear coat. i thought it did and i'm probably misinformed but...
Old 06-07-06, 06:06 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks !

Yeah I already tried the Maguires Show Room Glaze. The Clay bar is a good Idea, will get one and try it. When we ordered the car the dealer told us Black was the only color without clear coat.
Maybe birds are more acidic lately?
Old 06-07-06, 06:16 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem shortly after I got me car. Clay bar didn't do much to help, I ended using Meguiars Scratch X. Had to go over it several times, but each time you could see less and less. Car looks good now and I can't even see where it was.

Here's my post on it, I was a little pissed at the time.
Bird Bomb
Old 06-07-06, 06:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
maybe its me...but i was told that our car doesn't even have a clear coat. i thought it did and i'm probably misinformed but...
The 2IS has a clear coat on all colors, even black.

As for the original poster's question; I wouldn't get too aggressive with the paint at this point. Prior experience with bird poop damage on my last car (which was black) is that it gets much less noticable after the passage of time.

Last edited by Bichon; 06-07-06 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-07-06, 06:51 AM
kramo
Rookie

Had the same thing happen to my car (Matador Red). The bird managed to somehow hit the veritcal portion of the back bumper with what was the biggest bird turd I'd ever seen... got me right after I had washed and waxed the car. Much like the original poster, it couldn't have been on there for more than a few hours -- still left a mark.

Now its been over a month and numerous washes later and the signature of the turd is still there!

By the way, anyone know if that Turtle Wax Ice stuff is ACTUALLY a polish and wax, or just a gimmick? Give the car a nice shine (and leaves no white streaks or marks) but is it actually protecting like a wax?

Quick Reply: Clear coat marred already