IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions about the Illuminated Scuff Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 07:04 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Illuminated Scuff Plates

1. For anyone leasing, what are you planning to do when you return the car? Are you keeping the old plates, so you can put them back in before you return the car? Or are you selling the old ones, leaving the new ones in, and hoping the dealership doesn't mind?

2. I'm sure the illuminated sills look awesome at night, but how visible are they during the day?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-06, 02:17 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Bump! 43 views and no responses? Come on guys, help me out!
Old 06-07-06, 02:19 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by diablo1
1. For anyone leasing, what are you planning to do when you return the car? Are you keeping the old plates, so you can put them back in before you return the car? Or are you selling the old ones, leaving the new ones in, and hoping the dealership doesn't mind?

2. I'm sure the illuminated sills look awesome at night, but how visible are they during the day?

Thanks!
It wont matter if you leave the illuminated ones in at lease end. That adds value to the car so it wont affect you at the end.

I can barely tell they are there during the day time. Its very hard to see the light in broad day light.
Old 06-07-06, 02:22 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) If I was leasing (I purchased mine), I would just get the illuminated plates with a package. You get more bang for the buck when getting most of the bells and whistles with the Lux package. If I leased a car with no illuminated sills, I would buy them, use them, and remove them when the time comes to return the car, and sell them used. Least amount of loss but most amount of work.

2) The light sills are subtle during the day. No one has ever said "WOW" to the lights in the day. Everyone has said "WOW" to the lights at night. It's definately more of a night thing.
Old 06-07-06, 02:35 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my lex is leased ..i plan on removing the lighted sills at the end of the lease and either giving them to someone else who wants them or try selling them for a couple dollars
Old 06-07-06, 02:36 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies guys.

Originally Posted by yellowssm
It wont matter if you leave the illuminated ones in at lease end. That adds value to the car so it wont affect you at the end.
I don't know if that's the right reasoning. In theory almost any mod "adds value" because it costs money to do it... But there are definitely some mods that the dealership wouldn't be too happy about. I don't think the dealership would care in this case though, since they are OEM Lexus parts.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
1) If I was leasing (I purchased mine), I would just get the illuminated plates with a package. You get more bang for the buck when getting most of the bells and whistles with the Lux package. If I leased a car with no illuminated sills, I would buy them, use them, and remove them when the time comes to return the car, and sell them used. Least amount of loss but most amount of work.
Well, it's too late to get a different package now - I've already had the car for 7 months! Plus I didn't want the wood trim of the Lux package, and didn't care about the rear sun shade...

I guess the question is whether I can get more by selling the normal scuff plates now, or the illuminated ones 2.5 years from now, when they have much more wear and tear. Not sure what the answer to that is.

Anyway, thanks guys... Can't wait to get these!
Old 06-07-06, 02:49 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=diablo1]Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't know if that's the right reasoning. In theory almost any mod "adds value" because it costs money to do it... But there are definitely some mods that the dealership wouldn't be too happy about. I don't think the dealership would care in this case though, since they are OEM Lexus parts.

It is the right reasoning, I work at a Toyota Dealership. Not all mods add value. Lowering the car decreases value. Perfromance mods that are not factory decrease value. Anything added to your car that the manufacture sells adds value.
Old 06-07-06, 03:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
I guess the question is whether I can get more by selling the normal scuff plates now, or the illuminated ones 2.5 years from now, when they have much more wear and tear. Not sure what the answer to that is.
You won't be able to get "more" by selling the normal non-illuminated scuff plates (interest/demand for them are very low). You will probably get "more" for the used illuminated ones (interest/demand for them are pretty high).

Get the illuminated plates, install them, and keep the stock ones. Replace the stocks upon the end of the lease and sell the illuminated plates on eBay. Someone who'll get a new IS in the future will get the used illum plates if they are pretty cheap. I doubt that someone will need the stock plates because of loss or damage; there's little chance for the stock plates to be lost or damaged (enough so that they need replacement).
Old 06-07-06, 06:19 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yellowssm
It is the right reasoning, I work at a Toyota Dealership. Not all mods add value. Lowering the car decreases value. Perfromance mods that are not factory decrease value. Anything added to your car that the manufacture sells adds value.
Good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Get the illuminated plates, install them, and keep the stock ones. Replace the stocks upon the end of the lease and sell the illuminated plates on eBay.
That is my plan now, thanks!