IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got my DICE iPod integration kit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 03:25 PM
acsan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, any installed pics yet? What do you think of the sound quality so far?
Old 06-08-06, 04:46 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acsan
Phil, any installed pics yet? What do you think of the sound quality so far?
Just got home from work. As soon as I eat and change clothes I will get to intstalling. Pictures to follow...
Old 06-08-06, 04:54 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will also most likely do an install for my car, mine is non navi though. if there is enough interest that is.
Old 06-08-06, 04:59 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking to hear about the results.

What I'm liking alot about the DICE is the unit is SOOOO much smaller then the VAIS.
Old 06-08-06, 05:29 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Definitely want to see your install - I just have the base sound system but I'm liking the size of the DICE unit since it'll hide easier than the VAIS unit.
Old 06-08-06, 05:59 PM
MD727
Rookie

In addition to the wiring hook-up and if it even works - if you could include some tips on just removing the stereo that would be most helpful - I too don't have the nav unit so I'll assume the removal would be the same or easier....sure glad you're doing this first - my dice unit should arrive tomorrow....good luckl and thanks again!!
Old 06-08-06, 06:04 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing is the same, just search for the nav hack thread.

If you can provide some pics of the install that would be great.
Old 06-08-06, 07:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

If you don't mind giving us an overview tonight (before the pics) about what you think (quality, functionality, ease of installation, etc), I think some of us might want to place an order on Friday....thanks!!!
Old 06-08-06, 07:46 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

the soddering looks good the ic look nice and it has a quality cap not the cheaper ones they could have used. i bet it is made in china to bad it cant control my phone with i tunes.
Old 06-08-06, 08:26 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Default No DICE with Navigation...

Well, it half worked. Finally got everything wired (they are a little light on instructions to say the least) and got sound, could use the track buttons on the steering wheel and nav unit, but alas no text. It sounded the same as if connected to the AUX port (via a dock connector not thru the headphone jack) maybe a bit better. I spoke with Alfred at DICE and he said that they have an 06 Prius that is doing the same thing that they are getting the engineers to work with next week. According to him, Toyota/Lexus changed around the firmware on the touch screen and they need to catch up. He was very nice (he was not a tech) and helped as much as he could. He said it should not take too long to work it out now that they have a test car to work with. He said that they will certainly exchange the dice module when it is updated. You guys without the nav should be ok. It appears to be something with the interface to the touch screen.

I am working on the pictures right now.
Old 06-08-06, 08:37 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Thanks for trying it out. For me, without the text, no can do....just have to wait until they get it fixed. Looking forward to the pics and again, appreciate the work the went thru.

Just to clarify, are you saying when you go to your playlists, you see no text whatsoever on the nav screen? I could have sworn where someone with this device installed claims they did.

Last edited by kensteele; 06-08-06 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 09:11 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Default On with the pictures

Here are the tools I used: flashlight, pick, phillips screwdriver, magnetic pickup, 10mm socket with extension

Removing the side trim pieces: use the pick to pry up the end and then pull straight back (towards the back seat)

Remove the shift ****. The arrows point to indentions that I use to start working the center console out. Just pull up and the front should come unhooked (the whole center console is held in with clips no screws) gently work your way towards the center storage unit prying up with your fingers as you move back. Be careful not to pull the front out to high as there are electrical connectors for the console lights and heat/vent seat controls.

I forgot to get a picture with the ashtray unit in, but the arrows point to 2 where the philips head screws were located. Remove the screws and gently pull up and back to remove the ashtray unit. Be carefull not to pull too hard as the lighter electrical is connected here. Here is what it should look like at this point.

Now for everyones favorite: the center vents! The arrows point to the friction clips that must be pulled down to remove the vent unit (there are 2 more in the other vent). I use the pick and the flashlight to pull all 4 down. Once they are in the position shown, you can try to remove the vent unit. I will warn you it takes some force. Be careful where you apply the force as you can break the front trim or , as a couple of people found out, cause all the vent dividers to fall out. I put the pick in towards the back and try to hook it on the back of the unit. Work one side then the other, once you can grasp the top and bottom of the vent unit just gently wiggle it side to side and it should slide out.

There are 2 10mm bolts under the unit where the arrows point to remove them...

There are 2 10mm bolts on top of the unit where the arrows point to remove them...

Here are the pieces of you car you should have removed at this point. Not the vent unit at the bottom...

Ok. Now you have dismantled your car. See the next post for wiring...
Old 06-08-06, 09:28 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Default Wires

Here is another picture of the NAV/DVD hack and the back of the unit.
1. is the red wire grounded to the unit.
2. Is the connection of the pink and the white/silver wires.
3. is the capped pink wire.
4. Is the capped white/silver wire.

The arrow points to the connector that DICE uses. Disconnect it. It is kinda tight in there, it may be easier to remove the one to the left of it first (they are wrapped together).

1. is the female end of the DICE adapter. Plug it into the back of the radio.
2. is the OEM connector you disconnect
3. is male end of the DICE adapter plug the OEM connector into it.

1,2 and 3 are the same as above I labled them for reference.
4. Is the connection between the DICE adapter and the cord that runs into the DICE module
5. is the 12 pin connector to the DICE module
6. is the 8 pin connector for the cable to the iPod
7. is the connection to the iPod (duh! I was getting good at arrows in paint)

I am fairly impressed with the setup. Assuming they get the interface fixed I think it is well worth the $170. The small size of the unit will allow you to hide this behind the dash instead of in the glove box. Their is plenty of cable to run the iPod connection to the console storage unit. The instructions plain suck. They are for a GS with and really don't help all that much. All in all a pretty simple install (once you figure out which connector on the back to pull).

Hopefully this will help someone with their install. I will report back when they ship the updated module to me.
Old 06-08-06, 10:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I dunno, but I think the VAIS Tech unit may be a better unit, as it's already proven to work in 2IS....

Old 06-08-06, 10:35 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I dunno, but I think the VAIS Tech unit may be a better unit, as it's already proven to work in 2IS....
Can you point me to the person who has it installed? Not saying you are wrong, it is just that their site still says that the 06 x50 with nav will not support text. http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Appl...de_052206a.pdf

Quick Reply: Got my DICE iPod integration kit...