IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior Noise! Do your IS have it too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 10:09 PM
shizmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy in-car noise

Has anyone experienced any squeaks around the driver side dash on bumpy roads? i can't seem to locate where exactly but it appears to be left of the steering wheel.
Old 07-17-06, 07:07 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I test drove the 350 this past weekend and the first thing I noticed was the tire noise/roar. I drive a 05 Limited 4Runner and after the test drive, the 4Runner was whisper quiet compared to the 350. To say the least I was very disappointed! I just expected a Lexus to be quieter, even being a sports car.

Koz
Old 07-17-06, 07:20 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Our IS has become more noisey in the first 10K miles, but I believe it is due to tire wear more than anything else. There are no squeaks or rattles so far (knock on wood!).

I noticed the wind noise from the driver's door this weekend. It seems tolerable when the car is moving straight and there is no crosswind, but in a crosswind, its much more noticeable.
Old 07-17-06, 07:47 AM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
I test drove the 350 this past weekend and the first thing I noticed was the tire noise/roar. I drive a 05 Limited 4Runner and after the test drive, the 4Runner was whisper quiet compared to the 350. To say the least I was very disappointed! I just expected a Lexus to be quieter, even being a sports car.

Koz
Ummm... squeaks and rattles are a totally seperate issue from tire noise. A car wearing 255 series Z rated rubber in the rear is going to be loud, there's no getting around that.
Old 07-17-06, 08:28 AM
Koz

I wonder if the 17" wheels are any quieter. Also there has to be a way to isolate the tire noise. I think Lexus has decided not address this. It's probably one of those things that would be addressed if enough people complained or the mags felt it was a problem. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Just like the VDIM defeat switch, the lighted gas and hood levers. I love this car and will still get it but it’s a SHAME a Lexus would have this issue! I

Koz
Old 07-17-06, 08:32 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz
To say the least I was very disappointed! I just expected a Lexus to be quieter, even being a sports car.

Koz
Originally Posted by Koz
I wonder if the 17" wheels are any quieter. Also there has to be a way to isolate the tire noise. I think Lexus has decided not address this. It's probably one of those things that would be addressed if enough people complained or the mags felt it was a problem. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Just like the VDIM defeat switch, the lighted gas and hood levers. I love this car and will still get it but it’s a SHAME a Lexus would have this issue! I

Koz

I'm just going to blunt here...

It's comments like these that cause automakers to create cars that are more geriatric, more isolated from the road, more devoid of any hint of a true driving experience, with every iteration.

It's another reason why true drivers cars are a thing of the past.

(the Lexus IS isn't a sports car, BTW)
Old 07-17-06, 09:24 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by ff_
I'm just going to blunt here...

It's comments like these that cause automakers to create cars that are more geriatric, more isolated from the road, more devoid of any hint of a true driving experience, with every iteration.

It's another reason why true drivers cars are a thing of the past.

(the Lexus IS isn't a sports car, BTW)
The tire noise I heard (which was the first thing I noticed when pulling away slowly) coming from the 350 sounded like I was driving a sub-compact Chrysler. Loud tire noise does NOT make it a sports car, sorry!

Koz
Old 07-17-06, 09:43 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
The tire noise I heard (which was the first thing I noticed when pulling away slowly) coming from the 350 sounded like I was driving a sub-compact Chrysler. Loud tire noise does NOT make it a sports car, sorry!

Koz
The OEM tires are a bit noisey. The Dunlop SP 5000M tires on my car are classified as "Ultra High Performance All-Season", which means they're noisier than a touring tire. If the tire noise is objectionable, switching tires is the quickest way to make the car quieter.

Also, keep in mind that the tire noise will get worse as the tire wears. The noise you hear now will be worse in 15K miles.
Old 07-17-06, 09:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
I challenge you to find a car with similar street performance rubber that's any quieter.

If you find the IS to be too noisy, I think you're looking at the wrong car. Maybe a nice Buick would be to your liking?

Old 07-17-06, 09:52 AM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my IS250AWD, no squeaks or rattles--period.

Also, unless the windows are open, the cabin is so quiet that I find that I need to rely on the tachometer to know how close I am to reving the engine too high. That said, on worn out concrete highways, you will here a fair amount of tire noise, but still much less than my other car.
Old 07-17-06, 11:59 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

4900 miles on my 250 and not one squeek, rattle, or out of the norm noise. I do agree there is a slight amount of tire noise, but it is much more quiet than "luxury" cars I (or my family/friends) have owned.
Old 07-17-06, 12:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
If you find the IS to be too noisy, I think you're looking at the wrong car. Maybe a nice Buick would be to your liking?

The LS430 is a lot quieter than that Buick. And given Lexus' reputation for livingroom-on-wheels quietness and ride, it's not surprising that Koz would come into the dealership expecting the IS to be similarly serene. Especially if he hadn't read any magazine reviews. However that notion should have been been quicky dispelled during the test drive. I know it was for me.

It's funny -- my initial trip to the dealer to look at and drive the IS350 was done proforma, only because it came in second in the Car and Driver sport sedan comparison. I expected it to be a typical Lexus luxo-boat with a Quaalude driving experience, and to walk out hating it. Instead I found it far more sporty and engaging than any Lexus I'd ever driven, and when all my test driving was completed, I had an IS350 in my driveway.

While I'd prefer the burble of a V8 to the sounds my IS makes, I find the volume level of road and engine noise entirely appropriate for this class of vehicle.
Old 07-17-06, 12:43 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the reasons the road noise seems to be so loud is probably the fact that the rest of the car is absolutely quiet.

Most of the IS's I've seen have come with tires that are considered 'Max Performance Summer' tires. I'm sure that dropping down to an all season/touring tire will help with the road noise.

I plan on using some dynamat and getting the front footwells and up the firewall as high as possible. This help out considerably with my G and I'm sure it'll help in our situation(s).
Old 07-17-06, 02:45 PM
JohnV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
Holy crap, you're kidding, right?
Old 07-17-06, 02:48 PM
syn1313
Rookie

Well i must say that the BMW is a little more quite then my IS.. I came from a civic and the noise from that was out of hand... i do hear the tires more and more as i add more miles to it. It also depends on the road.. On I-75.. it's like Glass , dont hear noting at all.. i mean nothing.. but when i get on the 826... forget it..... but hey.. my radio is always blasting anyways...

Quick Reply: Interior Noise! Do your IS have it too?