HKS Drop in filter is now out for the IS350/250

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 09:46 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by al503
Agree. If there was a way to get any additional power just by switching to a different air filter (and still filter out enough crud), they would have done it at the factory.

All other things being equal, you have to decrease filtering capability/capacity to increase flow.
So how do you come to your conclusions??

I agree with your own comment ..

have you tested the filters or seen any tests of the filters that Toyota uses? If not, then you have no basis to make this claim and you're doing everyone a disservice by making it.

Just a quick fact for you..
Most drop in filters on the market today for most cars have only shown performance gains..
Even if its only a couple of hp's, its still a gain..

And yes we all know the filtration is not as good as the oem filter elements, but that goes for the whole filter industry..

Joe Z
Old 06-09-06, 09:47 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious,why is it called a "Hybrid Filter"?
Old 06-09-06, 09:52 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
err actually yea i've seen plenty. toyotas typically have some of the cleanist 100k mileage engines you'll find w/ all variants equal.
Well, I can't argue with your anecdotal evidence. So you've seen 'plenty' of torn down toyota engines?

to gain HP, more power to the wheels much exist. an airfilter with the design of remaining clean but less obtrusive to air can increase initial response by allowing more air into the throttle body initially. through the powerband however it might not be as recognizable.
Understood.

i never said the HKS was going to add 20hp or anything. its a drop in filter, and history has taught us they rarely decrease performance. changing the DESIGN of the air filter unit can however.
Agree.
Old 06-09-06, 09:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cars at my house have gained 2mpg just from a filter swap, and plus you dont have to keep replacing OEM filters that cost 30-40 dollars every 15k miles
Old 06-09-06, 09:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tony1
I'm curious,why is it called a "Hybrid Filter"?
I believe mainly because its an oil based - 3 layer filter.

In My Honest Opinion > This is will work Great combined with an Optimized OEM Intake system..

Originally Posted by HKS USA Website

Super Hybrid Filters
HKS’ high-performance Super Filters are a direct replacement for OE panel filters when a factory airbox is required or preferred. Super Filters feature the same 2-layer wet-type, polyurethane material as in the Super Mega Flow. The filter element is bonded to a flexible nylon frame and offers a price-friendly performance alternative to a full intake system.

info link here: http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1915
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-09-06 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-06, 10:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

cant clean it? Ill wait for a K&N
Old 06-09-06, 10:13 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the heck, i'll try it. Just placed an order for the filter to go with the Joe Z intake and the LMS exhaust I just ordered. Ill let you guys know how it goes next week.
Old 06-09-06, 10:16 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Just a quick fact for you..
Most drop in filters on the market today for most cars have only shown performance gains..
Even if its only a couple of hp's, its still a gain..

And yes we all know the filtration is not as good as the oem filter elements, but that goes for the whole filter industry..

Joe Z
Agree. Most aftermarket drop in's will not hurt performance. I took exception to the blanket statement that this new filter would increase performance.

Without bench flow testing the stock intake system, we won't know if the stock air filter is capable of supplying all the air the engine needs or not. That's the critical question. If it can, then going without a filter at all would yield no gains.

With the horsepower wars between the manufacturers (of which we are proudly the beneficiaries) at a frenzy, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't optimize the stock intake system to provide everything the engine needed. By going to direct injection and an extremely high compression ratio, Lexus is not sparing much expense to get the performance needed to compete with the others in this segment.

So, you have the claim of better performance without the proper foundation IMO. I have a feeling that there really isn't much more that can be squeezed on the intake side for gains especially for the drop in. If you have a filter material that has a rating of x cfm and you need y cfm, you can do one of several things to achieve this:
1. change the filter material to something more porous or
2. change the actual size of the filter.

To help retain the superior air filtration and remove any bottlenecks, my $ is on option 2. If Lexus can get a few additional ponies by installing a bigger air filter and box (chump change compared to $ that was spend on the engineering needed for higher compression ratio/direct injection technology) then I think they would have done this.

As with almost everything else in the car that is overbuilt/engineered, I'm willing to wager that the stock air filter/box assembly can provide more air than the engine needs at WOT.
Old 06-09-06, 10:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Good find! thanks. Are you going to dyno after this mod???
I actually don't think I'll be buying this filter and testing it. I think I'll wait for either the Apexi or the Blitz filter to come out. After reading this intake filter test, HKS is no longer on my list of wants. Maybe the HKS Hybrid filter is different than the one they used in this test, but it didn't give me a good feeling overall for their filters. http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Old 06-09-06, 10:29 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
cars at my house have gained 2mpg just from a filter swap, and plus you dont have to keep replacing OEM filters that cost 30-40 dollars every 15k miles
I don't think you're making this up but I just don't buy it.

The only time a filter with higher capacity is going to help is at WOT and that's assuming the stock filter can't keep up. For regular driving/commuting conditions, a drop in isn't going to help anything.
Old 06-09-06, 10:31 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowssm
What the heck, i'll try it. Just placed an order for the filter to go with the Joe Z intake and the LMS exhaust I just ordered. Ill let you guys know how it goes next week.
Might as well, it's just a another drop in the bucket since you're already shelling out
over $1,200 for the exhaust and intake pipe If i was you Id' install all three at once
b4 you drive your car, just so you can notice a dramatic feel in performance (hopefully).. Good luck
Old 06-09-06, 10:39 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might as well, it's just a another drop in the bucket since you're already shelling out
over $1,200 for the exhaust and intake pipe If i was you Id' install all three at once
b4 you drive your car, just so you can notice a dramatic feel in performance (hopefully).. Good luck
I plan on it. I hope I get everything by next WED of so. That leaves me 1 day or so to get things installed and Friday is drag strip night
Old 06-09-06, 10:45 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you're making this up but I just don't buy it.

The only time a filter with higher capacity is going to help is at WOT and that's assuming the stock filter can't keep up. For regular driving/commuting conditions, a drop in isn't going to help anything.
He did say cars at his house, which could be any year, model or make (and along with it, techonology used). In a similar fashion that a clogged filter will affect gas mileage, so can a clean/free(er) flowing filter. They usually do offer small MPG gains, as the motor constantly has to draw in air during normal driving, not just WOT. It really depends on the type of car, and how well they built the air intake system.
Old 06-09-06, 10:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

when i got a CAI on my prelude mileage increased by 2 mpg over what I historically got, bros TSX experienced similar. Idle was slightly lower as well. Yes clogged filters might have caused the gains on the swap but its better than buying 25-30 dollar filters every 12k from the store which most of ours cost
Old 06-09-06, 10:56 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
He did say cars at his house, which could be any year, model or make (and along with it, techonology used). In a similar fashion that a clogged filter will affect gas mileage, so can a clean/free(er) flowing filter.
Agree. A new factory should do the same then.

They usually do offer small MPG gains, as the motor constantly has to draw in air during normal driving, not just WOT. It really depends on the type of car, and how well they built the air intake system.
Under the normal driving conditions, that difference has to be terribly minute. Besides, the computer controls the air/fuel mixture and will optimize the amount of fuel going into the cylinder for the given air intake.

Quick Reply: HKS Drop in filter is now out for the IS350/250