IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06 | 12:58 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Were you referring to my video which can be found here?
http://files.filefront.com/IS350_Alu.../fileinfo.html

Also, I wish I had someone help me make a video of taking out the AC vents. I just recently installed the Viastech box in and I took the whole vent apart using 2 - 4 credit cards. I worked them inbetween the crack between the nav screen and the vents on the left side. Then worked up to left side. This propped up the side about 3-4 mm out. Then I did the same with the right hand side, and then you can just pull the entire unit out.

Originally Posted by Fire Chief
I found in another post a video that showed how to use two credit cards and it works GREAT. Slide one under the chrome trim at the front near the dash. Then slide a 2nd card on top of the first also under the trim. They only go under a few mm. Then slide both cards to the rear. As you slide, the cards need to clear the clips, if they "stop" you have them too deep. As they slide, the trip will pop up some, then grab the trim and pull it to the REAR of the car. Thus the clips come out to the rear and up about 30 degrees. Install is the reverse...
Old 07-05-06 | 05:17 AM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Were you referring to my video which can be found here?
http://files.filefront.com/IS350_Alu.../fileinfo.html
Yes, that's it.

It seems the only tool I need is a credit card! I should go apply for a few more!
Old 07-11-06 | 06:30 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
Hmmmm, I did notice the volume a bit lower then usual compared to a CD, but not by much. The quality wasn't as good as I expected though. But VAIS recommended that I turn off all EQ, and turn Sound Check ON. I just did it right now in the office, so I'll try it again later tonight. I'll try to do the volume adjustment also.
I found turning the Nanos sound check off makes a hugh difference in volume and sound quality. I had to adjust the SLI volume levels down to 25 to equal my CD player.
Old 07-15-06 | 09:02 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
Oh yeah, for that small group that I know that listens to Jpop, Kpop, etc. The Nav screen will NOT display the characters. It will just be blank. So your only choice is to romanize it.
Thanks for the info, Pocky.
I was going to import this unit but..oh well.

btw, is it able to show nano lyric features on the screen while driving?
Old 07-27-06 | 06:47 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

so i "went in" tonight to do some minor work to fix a couple of intermittant connections (thanks to the pic-method this is no longer a problem) and on the vaistech installation, the white plastic connectors, i am finding signs of heat. the connector surfaces have minor imperfections and slight disfiguring appears to have been cause my excessive heat. not to the point of affecting the connecting wires i don't think and there certainly doesn't appear to be a meltdown in progress, but when i compare the vaistech connectors near the headunit vs. the vaistech connectors on the extension cables away from the main unit or near the supplement/remote aux box, you can tell what a new connector looks like vs one that has been subjected to heat. just my observation.
Old 07-28-06 | 01:19 AM
mike503
Driver School Candidate

if the vaistech unit can "hack" the i agree stuff, i wonder if they can also enable the GPS override (if it's some sort of software override for "i agree" perhaps there's a way to send a signal for the GPS override as well?)

we should pitch in for that one. that'd be great to save 6 finger clicks each time
Old 08-03-06 | 12:38 PM
Skyjumper
Driver School Candidate

Default It's been over a month now

So how do those that have the VAIS unit installed feel about it now? Love it? Hate it? What's your biggest peave?
Old 08-03-06 | 12:42 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Skyjumper
So how do those that have the VAIS unit installed feel about it now? Love it? Hate it? What's your biggest peave?
Love it. Only peeve is that on the 3GS (4th Gen Navi) it doesn't display the artist name, but I got around that by editing all my MP3 ID3 tags to display both the artist and song name in the track name field.
Old 08-03-06 | 02:14 PM
BShears
Rookie

Love it big time. My biggest peeve is that it's kinda slow scrolling through the playlists.
Old 08-03-06 | 02:20 PM
WManhattan
Driver School Candidate

I have NAV but not ML. If I do this I will have it done by the dealer (I'm a wimp, so what). My only question is, as everyone is loving it, if I had a video i-pod, would the video play on the screen. Quite trick if it works.
Old 08-03-06 | 04:18 PM
dajwilson
Driver

I love the functionality of it but.........if you're in a hot climate, it has a lot of problems. I have nav/non ML and I've noticed that because of the heat here in AZ, the VAIS SLI will cut out the volume to and sometimes all audio functions in my car. I'm about to take it out because it just can't withstand the heat. I had the same problem with my XM roady. The heat just bakes the system. When my volume first started cutting out, I didn't think it was the VAIS, but after a process of elimination, I realized that the VAIS was causing the issues. Here's the things that led me to the conclusion that the VAIS was responsible for my audio problems:

1. When I would start the car and the I agree would not automatically bypass, my audio would not work.
2. Sometimes the audio would work, but the volume **** and volume steering controls would not work. When I would push the mode button on the steering controls, I could cycle through all functions except the Aux which was connected through the VAIS.
3. When the audio in my car would "cut out", I would look at my IPOD and it would not display the VAIS technology banner and would normally be in that stand by mode when it's not being used.

Some of you may not undersand my reasoning and I'm probably not conveying my message in the most effective way but, from my experience with electronics in this AZ heat and some deductive reasoning, I've come to the conclusion that the VAIS just can't take extreme heat especially for an extended period of time. If you're in a climate that's not as hot, it may work perfectly for you.........just not for me.
Old 08-03-06 | 04:20 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
so i "went in" tonight to do some minor work to fix a couple of intermittant connections (thanks to the pic-method this is no longer a problem) and on the vaistech installation, the white plastic connectors, i am finding signs of heat. the connector surfaces have minor imperfections and slight disfiguring appears to have been cause my excessive heat. not to the point of affecting the connecting wires i don't think and there certainly doesn't appear to be a meltdown in progress, but when i compare the vaistech connectors near the headunit vs. the vaistech connectors on the extension cables away from the main unit or near the supplement/remote aux box, you can tell what a new connector looks like vs one that has been subjected to heat. just my observation.
If you read my prior post, this goes along with what I was saying.
Old 08-03-06 | 05:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dajwilson
If you read my prior post, this goes along with what I was saying.
Exactly. I get the exact same things you mentioned. I will go in again this weekend to make a final diagnosis before I attempt to replace the affected parts as I believe some of the VAIS parts have been permanently affected by the severe heat. I haven't heard my stereo in 2 days now.
Old 08-03-06 | 06:42 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by dajwilson
I love the functionality of it but.........if you're in a hot climate, it has a lot of problems. I have nav/non ML and I've noticed that because of the heat here in AZ, the VAIS SLI will cut out the volume to and sometimes all audio functions in my car. I'm about to take it out because it just can't withstand the heat. I had the same problem with my XM roady. The heat just bakes the system. When my volume first started cutting out, I didn't think it was the VAIS, but after a process of elimination, I realized that the VAIS was causing the issues. Here's the things that led me to the conclusion that the VAIS was responsible for my audio problems:

1. When I would start the car and the I agree would not automatically bypass, my audio would not work.
2. Sometimes the audio would work, but the volume **** and volume steering controls would not work. When I would push the mode button on the steering controls, I could cycle through all functions except the Aux which was connected through the VAIS.
3. When the audio in my car would "cut out", I would look at my IPOD and it would not display the VAIS technology banner and would normally be in that stand by mode when it's not being used.

Some of you may not undersand my reasoning and I'm probably not conveying my message in the most effective way but, from my experience with electronics in this AZ heat and some deductive reasoning, I've come to the conclusion that the VAIS just can't take extreme heat especially for an extended period of time. If you're in a climate that's not as hot, it may work perfectly for you.........just not for me.
My VAIS unit seems to be handing the Texas heat (100+ daily) so far. The only thing I have noticed is when you try to access folders sometime the display will freeze. I don't have the Nav hack and I can only do this while parked so its not too big an issue for me.

Post back if you get a fix for the heat problem.
Old 08-03-06 | 08:37 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

one question for you guys, i like to have mine set up to playlists and then i just select one and play tracks from that playlist, now lets say i am listening to an album that starts with L and then i shut off the car. when i get back in the car i know the song will continue playing from where it left off but if i select the next playlist does it go back to "A" playlists in the front or go to the next playlist which in this case would be M. This was a big peeve on mine with the Dice Unit.

does this make sense? hope i didn't confuse anyone

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)