IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 08:41 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also. does the VAISTECH logo with the "do not disconnect" stay on the whole time the ipod is connected to the car?
Old 08-03-06, 09:03 PM
minnister
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Local Stereo Shops have this in stock?

This is cool and all, but just wanted to see if local stereo carry this in stock. Seems a little pricy too, but I guess you can't put a price on sleek Looks.
Old 08-03-06, 09:30 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Well, I took the Vais out tonight and it definitely had some heat damage. Before I took it out, I had noticed that my driver side door speaker wasn't putting out much volume, but after disconnecting the Vais, it was back to normal. There was only one part of the Vais harness that had damage so I guess that was the part that dealt with the volume. I'm going to call Vais tomorrow and see if they will replace it.

I want to let everybody know that I think the SLI is outstanding......it's just hard to contend with the heat out here.
Old 08-03-06, 09:43 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

repost to put on top

one question for you guys, i like to have mine set up to playlists and then i just select one and play tracks from that playlist, now lets say i am listening to an album that starts with L and then i shut off the car. when i get back in the car i know the song will continue playing from where it left off but if i select the next playlist does it go back to "A" playlists in the front or go to the next playlist which in this case would be M. This was a big peeve on mine with the Dice Unit.

does this make sense? hope i didn't confuse anyone
Old 08-04-06, 04:50 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by dajwilson
Well, I took the Vais out tonight and it definitely had some heat damage. Before I took it out, I had noticed that my driver side door speaker wasn't putting out much volume, but after disconnecting the Vais, it was back to normal. There was only one part of the Vais harness that had damage so I guess that was the part that dealt with the volume. I'm going to call Vais tomorrow and see if they will replace it.

I want to let everybody know that I think the SLI is outstanding......it's just hard to contend with the heat out here.
What type of tint do you have and what is your interior color?

I went for Huber Optik tint and it seems to make a difference on the interior temp from my previous cars. I have the black interior and I leave the sunroof flipped in the back with my rear shade rolled up.
Old 08-04-06, 08:53 AM
jc957
Rookie

I just want to make sure...those of you that are having problems related to heat damage, are you all seeing the damage near the nav unit itself and not at the connections by the SLI box?
Old 08-04-06, 09:16 AM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by darrelld
What type of tint do you have and what is your interior color?

I went for Huber Optik tint and it seems to make a difference on the interior temp from my previous cars. I have the black interior and I leave the sunroof flipped in the back with my rear shade rolled up.

I have blk interior and 5% tint. I also have a sunshade for the front windshield. It still heats up in my car though.
Old 08-04-06, 09:27 AM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by jc957
I just want to make sure...those of you that are having problems related to heat damage, are you all seeing the damage near the nav unit itself and not at the connections by the SLI box?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll answer you in the way I interpreted it.

There was only damage to the harness for the Vais SLI. There was no damage to the harness for the nav or any of the stock parts. There were some imperfections in the pins for the Vais SLI harness. I'm going to take it to an electronics shop to get their expert opinion on what happened.
Old 08-04-06, 09:55 AM
jc957
Rookie

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll answer you in the way I interpreted it.

There was only damage to the harness for the Vais SLI. There was no damage to the harness for the nav or any of the stock parts. There were some imperfections in the pins for the Vais SLI harness. I'm going to take it to an electronics shop to get their expert opinion on what happened.
Ok. I may have misunderstood what you were saying. I wasnt sure if you were saying the vais harness itself had heat related problems near the nav unit...not that the nav unit was damaged...or if the damage was near the SLI box. The reason I asked this is because I mounted the actual SLI box in the center(between the gear shift and the center storage box) and I was afraid that there may be some overheating issue due to the fact there isnt a lot of room for air to circulate around the box. So I wanted to see if you were thinking that the heat damage to the harness may have been related to this or something similar. If so, I was going to pull the box and mount it elsewhere. But if you think this is just due to imperfections in the pins, I'm not going to worry about it right now. I appreciate the info.
Old 08-04-06, 04:24 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Everything. All the components down there get hot and while I can't tell exactly what is not functioning any longer, this weekend I will pull the system and take pictures. I see plastic that has been affected by heat, you can't tell if the wires are affected by heat and last I checked, that metal box was warm but didn't appear to have physical damage. I will take pics but I do believe heat is playing a major part as to why my unit fails more often than it plays music. I will double check all connections, also.
Old 08-04-06, 07:20 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Everything. All the components down there get hot and while I can't tell exactly what is not functioning any longer, this weekend I will pull the system and take pictures. I see plastic that has been affected by heat, you can't tell if the wires are affected by heat and last I checked, that metal box was warm but didn't appear to have physical damage. I will take pics but I do believe heat is playing a major part as to why my unit fails more often than it plays music. I will double check all connections, also.
That's exactly what I saw when I took mine out. I dropped my off at an electronics shop so I'm waiting to hear what they say.
Old 08-05-06, 08:21 AM
Skyjumper
Driver School Candidate

That's exactly what I saw when I took mine out. I dropped my off at an electronics shop so I'm waiting to hear what they say.
Have you guys talked to VAIS about this yet??
Old 08-05-06, 09:25 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Skyjumper
Have you guys talked to VAIS about this yet??
I plan to put together an email to VAIS today but here's what I found after working on my setup this morning. Somewhere in the system is a short. I can literally touch the main connector and the sound will come and go so on my setup, it is reproducible. However, I checked all of the connections and they seem to be good so maybe there is a wire somewhere within the connection. This particular connector shows signs of heat (see pics). I am going to ask VAIS to send me another connector and I'll replace it to see if that helps.

The symptoms I am showing are failure to connect (doesn't show the VAIS symbol on the ipod), loss of audio in all modes (DVD,AUX,FM), slot #6 shows empty, and/or audio volume freezes so I cannot raise or lower the volume. This does not appear to be an amp overheating or ML anything because I went out first thing this morning while it was cool AND before I even started using the system (yes it does get warm later) and I still had problems.

So I taped the connector in place so it doesn't move around and then I went for a test drive because usually I can go not 5 miles before I have problems but this morning, so far so good. I'll let you know what VAIS says or however it works out.

Old 08-05-06, 11:22 PM
jc957
Rookie

Yeah...thats pretty hard to deny the heat damage. Let us know how you make out. Not having any problems but I am tempted to pull it out and see if there is anything going on.
Old 08-06-06, 02:35 PM
attack7
Rookie

Wow - I had just arrived at the same conclusion about the problems I've been having with my audio system -- I feel like the SLI is to blame.

I get these things going on:
* iPod stops playing and starts the same, or next song over within a few seconds
* No communication with ipod occasionally
* Amps stop producing sound on all modes
* Volume **** becomes non-functional

Changing to Simple mode doesn't make much difference .. the sound will still drop out.

I haven't taken it all apart yet to check for damage, but please post what you year from VAIS!

Thanks ken,

Matt

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)