IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 09:27 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK installed the VAIS IPOD unit in my IS, but have a few issues

First let me start off by saying why is it so damn hard to disconnect the damn plugs from the back of the radio??? Same with the VAIS plugs. I had to use a pair of vise grips to get them off last night.

After I got those damn plugs off I got everything installed and its works fine except a few things...

First, I Cant activate the "I Agree" Automatic bypass function. I read the owners manual, followed the directions and I cant get it to work.

Second, I Cant adjust the Sound Level Adjustment. This is the biggest problem for me. I have the Volume all the way up and it plays very quiet. I am using a ipod nano if that matters.

Third, how do you fast foward through a song while its playing?

I also have Navigation, so some of instructions in the owners manual and on the actual radio itself dont match up.
Old 06-27-06, 10:45 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by yellowssm
OK installed the VAIS IPOD unit in my IS, but have a few issues

First let me start off by saying why is it so damn hard to disconnect the damn plugs from the back of the radio??? Same with the VAIS plugs. I had to use a pair of vise grips to get them off last night.

After I got those damn plugs off I got everything installed and its works fine except a few things...

First, I Cant activate the "I Agree" Automatic bypass function. I read the owners manual, followed the directions and I cant get it to work.

Second, I Cant adjust the Sound Level Adjustment. This is the biggest problem for me. I have the Volume all the way up and it plays very quiet. I am using a ipod nano if that matters.

Third, how do you fast foward through a song while its playing?

I also have Navigation, so some of instructions in the owners manual and on the actual radio itself dont match up.

Have you tried the procedure in page 14 of the Vais manual for sound adjustment;

Enable Simple Mode
Enable/Disable - press the button 8 times ( within 1-2 seconds)
You will hear a short beep. This feature will allow you to control the iPod™ manually. [Track+], [Track-] on your Head Unit will still select the desired Track. The unit will keep this mode in memory (even after vehicle ignition is turned OFF and back ON) until this mode is turned OFF (disabled). but all other control can only be done through the iPod.

Playlist and track information will not be displayed on the head unit in “Simple mode”
iPod Sound Level Adjustment NOTE: Remember, a high sound level may result in noticeable sound distortion.

Start playing desired song by pressing the [Play/Pause] button on the iPod
Activate “SCAN” function on the head unit
Set the desired volume on the head unit
While is active use to increase volume and to decrease volume
Sound level [01..31] will be displayed as Seconds on the head unit.
Deactivate “SCAN” function
Disable “Simple mode”
“SCAN” [SCROLL UP] [SCROLL DOWN] .

A question for you?
If you have not done the Nav hack are the Details and folder lists available?
Old 06-27-06, 10:55 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, I did notice the volume a bit lower then usual compared to a CD, but not by much. The quality wasn't as good as I expected though. But VAIS recommended that I turn off all EQ, and turn Sound Check ON. I just did it right now in the office, so I'll try it again later tonight. I'll try to do the volume adjustment also.

Haven't tried out the I Agree screen. Isn't it default ON already? As in already bypassed?

What I don't like is the fact that everytime I pop it in reverse then back in drive, it goes back to the Nav screen.

BTW, here is a picture of how I mounted my iPod nano. Yes I completely removed the cig lighter. It is also a perfect fit.

Old 06-27-06, 11:01 AM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by darrelld
Have you tried the procedure in page 14 of the Vais manual for sound adjustment;

Enable Simple Mode
You will hear a short beep. This feature will allow you to control the iPod™ manually. [Track+], [Track-] on your Head Unit will still select the desired Track. The unit will keep this mode in memory (even after vehicle ignition is turned OFF and back ON) until this mode is turned OFF (disabled). but all other control can only be done through the iPod.

Playlist and track information will not be displayed on the head unit in “Simple mode”
iPod Sound Level Adjustment NOTE: Remember, a high sound level may result in noticeable sound distortion.

Disable “Simple mode”

A question for you?

I installed the Vais SLI last night.I have not done the nav hack, but the folder lists and details are available. You still can't access them while in motion though unless you do the hack. I have not had any problems with volume. My music is as loud if not louder than before installing the unit.
Old 06-27-06, 11:05 AM
dajwilson
Driver

[QUOTE=pocky]Hmmmm, I did notice the volume a bit lower then usual compared to a CD, but not by much. The quality wasn't as good as I expected though. But VAIS recommended that I turn off all EQ, and turn Sound Check ON. I just did it right now in the office, so I'll try it again later tonight. I'll try to do the volume adjustment also.

Haven't tried out the I Agree screen. Isn't it default ON already? As in already bypassed?

What I don't like is the fact that everytime I pop it in reverse then back in drive, it goes back to the Nav screen.

BTW, here is a picture of how I mounted my iPod nano. Yes I completely removed the cig lighter. It is also a perfect fit.

[QUOTE]

Nice looking install in the ashtray. I had actually thought about doing that. I actually installed mine in the glove compartment. I have the 5th gen 30 gb IPOD so it would not fit in the ashtray.

For anyone wondering about the install, it is incredibly simple once you get the nav unit out. I could not take pics because my wife took the digi-cam on a business trip to Florida.
Old 06-27-06, 11:21 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by dajwilson
Nice looking install in the ashtray. I had actually thought about doing that. I actually installed mine in the glove compartment. I have the 5th gen 30 gb IPOD so it would not fit in the ashtray.

For anyone wondering about the install, it is incredibly simple once you get the nav unit out. I could not take pics because my wife took the digi-cam on a business trip to Florida.
Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty easy, What I did not like, is the bulky wires, it took a while to force things back together and wiggle it back in. But it's all good now.

Does anyone notice the half second delay when you change tracks? Like when you select next you see the next file name show up, but it takes just under half a second for it to play? It's not annoying, just a observation.
Old 06-27-06, 11:25 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darrelld

Enable Simple Mode

Disable “Simple mode”

A question for you?
In my post I said I did read the manual, its just not very accurate. I called VAIS and I got it handled.

I have the hack NAV. See sig below. I can see details,folders,etc while moving
Old 06-27-06, 11:28 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Also I turned up the Sound Level Adjustment all the way up, it dosnt distort. I guess a few of my recordings are not as good as they should be thats why its not very loud. Some songs are some arent
Old 06-27-06, 11:34 AM
pocky
mooncake master

So what solved it? Turning on Sound Check?
Old 06-27-06, 11:36 AM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty easy, What I did not like, is the bulky wires, it took a while to force things back together and wiggle it back in. But it's all good now.

Does anyone notice the half second delay when you change tracks? Like when you select next you see the next file name show up, but it takes just under half a second for it to play? It's not annoying, just a observation.

If you look at the manual, there's a way to get rid of that delay if you have a newer IPOD. I don't have the manual with me so I can't tell you exactly what page or the instructions, but it's in there.
Old 06-27-06, 11:55 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by dajwilson
If you look at the manual, there's a way to get rid of that delay if you have a newer IPOD. I don't have the manual with me so I can't tell you exactly what page or the instructions, but it's in there.
Yeah, I know about that. I have the nano, I purchased last year with the most update software. I wonder if the delay is because of the playlists? Either that, Or I'm pinching a wire.
Old 06-27-06, 01:32 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

So what solved it? Turning on Sound Check?
For the fast foward part (where I couldnt get it to fast foward through a song), you cannot have the scan button on (on the actual touch screen display) you must turn it off.

Second the sound level adjustment, the seek button is the scroll up and scroll down button. You must press and hold it (a short hold and wait for a beep each time) to go up and down. The indicator for the sound level 1-31 is the second counter for the song. The owners manual said not to but I have my Sound Level Adjustment to the higest setting 31 since I have a NANO. See explanation below.

Third the "I agree" disable function, Just follow the owners manual that explains how to do it except there is no toggle from ON to OFF. After you do it and hear the beep. Just turn off your car and see if the I AGREE turns off. Mine did.

Lastly, for some of the people that lost some volume when they installed the VAIS unit it is probably because you have a IPOD NANO (like me). The NANO seems to not have as much power as the 30G or the 60G. I tried my nano at volume 50 then tried my friends 30G at 50 and the difference is HUGE. The 30G on volume 50 is louder than my NANO at MAX volume (volume 63=MAX). Time to buy a 30G ipod .

Everything is all good now.
Old 06-27-06, 01:43 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Thanks yellowssm! Time for more sound tinkering when I get home.

Oh yeah, for that small group that I know that listens to Jpop, Kpop, etc. The Nav screen will NOT display the characters. It will just be blank. So your only choice is to romanize it.
Old 06-27-06, 03:59 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowssm
For the fast foward part (where I couldnt get it to fast foward through a song), you cannot have the scan button on (on the actual touch screen display) you must turn it off.

Second the sound level adjustment, the seek button is the scroll up and scroll down button. You must press and hold it (a short hold and wait for a beep each time) to go up and down. The indicator for the sound level 1-31 is the second counter for the song. The owners manual said not to but I have my Sound Level Adjustment to the higest setting 31 since I have a NANO. See explanation below.

Third the "I agree" disable function, Just follow the owners manual that explains how to do it except there is no toggle from ON to OFF. After you do it and hear the beep. Just turn off your car and see if the I AGREE turns off. Mine did.

Lastly, for some of the people that lost some volume when they installed the VAIS unit it is probably because you have a IPOD NANO (like me). The NANO seems to not have as much power as the 30G or the 60G. I tried my nano at volume 50 then tried my friends 30G at 50 and the difference is HUGE. The 30G on volume 50 is louder than my NANO at MAX volume (volume 63=MAX). Time to buy a 30G ipod .

Everything is all good now.
have you tried to raise the volume level of each song (within itunes) for each song individually on the nano?
Old 06-27-06, 04:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, for that small group that I know that listens to Jpop, Kpop, etc. The Nav screen will NOT display the characters. It will just be blank. So your only choice is to romanize it.
that's too bad, gonna take some rework.....

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)