IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 04:29 PM
jbrody
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who are wondering about the ability of this addon to "push" the "I agree" button for you on the navagation screen.... Apperently that is a software update that if you didn't order the "group buy" but instead ordered a single unit of of the website, it is not included. I called tech support to find out how to enable it and they said it was a software update and the unit would have to be returned for the update and they also include some extra "warning" paper work.
Old 06-30-06, 04:35 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbrody
For those who are wondering about the ability of this addon to "push" the "I agree" button for you on the navagation screen.... Apperently that is a software update that if you didn't order the "group buy" but instead ordered a single unit of of the website, it is not included. I called tech support to find out how to enable it and they said it was a software update and the unit would have to be returned for the update and they also include some extra "warning" paper work.
didn't know that...but it makes sense.
Old 06-30-06, 07:56 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

mine wasn't enabled by default.

I just did my installation yesterday. The notes here were pretty good, but here are some extra pointers for those of you who have yet to install.

On the first step, taking out the two trim pieces, start with the end closest to you and pull it up and back towards you. The clips are U shaped and will come loose when you pull it back.

Close up of the clip

In order to remove the shifter plate i had to disconnect 2 cables. Don't just yank on them, theres a little tab on them that you press that will allow you to easily remove them. All of the cables aare like this so be careful and don't break the tabs.

Last edited by jewel; 06-30-06 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 08:18 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Vent tabs in closed mode

In open / down mode

Now the hard part, once all 4 tabs are down, you gotta get the vent out one side at a time. I used the pry method with a flat head screwdriver which was taped. I pried from the top on the left side first.

Notice the clips on the vent. The place where i pried was in between the clip and the ridges to its right. This allowed me to get the leverage i needed to get the side out. Once one side pops out a bit, the other will easily follow.

Running the cables was simple, it;'s just a matter of what fitting where. I did the nav hack while i was at it. Measure twice cut once...

I hid the sli unit in the same place as pocky, and ran the connector up to center arm rest. In order to get the botton of the center console to open, there is a special place to pry.

Toward the front (left in picture) you will see a little notch. Stick your screw driver in there and lever it up. One note, the bottom of this panel is glued/stickered down so there will be some ripping involved.
Close up of the notch
Old 06-30-06, 08:19 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

heat shrink is your friend

I had to notch the panel to fit the wire

hope this helps

one thing that is bugging me is that when i put it all back together, my vents are recessed in too much. I really dont want to take everything out again to fix this
Old 06-30-06, 11:57 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

make sure your connectors are fastened tightly. i had to find out the hard way (just finishing up a several hour install).

edit: if you are not having any luck getting the ipod display to show the V-connected screen, make sure you have all of your white connectors plugged in fully. Especially check the one that connects the vaistech unit directly into the headunit, push down really hard, it might not snap, but it needs to go in ALL the way.

Also on the simple mode, just watch your track display....while you are repeatedly pushing scan, the display will show "simple mode" when you are there. just push it fast and STOP when it flashes "ipod interface simple mode" or something like that. This only works when going into simple mode, trying to come out of it, you don't read anything on the track display (so follow the instructions).

when activating/deactivating I-Agree, DISC REPEAT means RPT on the Nav screen (not on the ipod, not on the headunit). I never hear confirmation beeps (mine must be turned off) so press and hold long time.

going into the vents, the second time around is not much easier than the first if it's been awhile and you forget. don't get lazy and scratch anything or mess up your dash, be careful....and pry gently.
Did I mention make sure those connectors are fully plugged in? Arggg....it's 2:30am.

Last edited by kensteele; 07-01-06 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 06:43 AM
BShears
Rookie

Is it obvious where to plug in the cables that say "To the factory Audio harness" and "to the head unit" ?
Old 07-01-06, 08:02 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kensteele
going into the vents, the second time around is not much easier than the first if it's been awhile and you forget. don't get lazy and scratch anything or mess up your dash, be careful....and pry gently.
Did I mention make sure those connectors are fully plugged in? Arggg....it's 2:30am.
Man its like you read my mind. The first time taking out the vents was much easier, I was really careful. I must admit I slacked off with the vais installation last nite. I started around 12 midnite and finished around 2am. Had to do it by myself so had to be extra careful with rest in between since I was sweating my ***** off in the garage!

Hardest part: Taking the factory audio harness out. You will have to press the clip and PULL really hard.

Also like Kensteele said, the vais harness sucks. Push it in really hard, but dont break it

Last edited by sab504; 07-01-06 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 08:38 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

I have a question. When I turn my stereo to FM, I cant go back to the Aux input to listen to the IPOD anymore. I don't have any disc inside my cd player. Is there a method to get it aux input?
Old 07-01-06, 09:26 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sab504
I have a question. When I turn my stereo to FM, I cant go back to the Aux input to listen to the IPOD anymore. I don't have any disc inside my cd player. Is there a method to get it aux input?
so are you saying your ipod used to show up as a cd correctly and then you switched to fm and that's ok and when you go back to a cd (to listen to your ipod) it can't be found?
Old 07-01-06, 10:16 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

so are you saying your ipod used to show up as a cd correctly and then you switched to fm and that's ok and when you go back to a cd (to listen to your ipod) it can't be found?
Nm, I figured it out.
Old 07-01-06, 10:29 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pocky
Hmmmm, I did notice the volume a bit lower then usual compared to a CD, but not by much. The quality wasn't as good as I expected though. But VAIS recommended that I turn off all EQ, and turn Sound Check ON. I just did it right now in the office, so I'll try it again later tonight. I'll try to do the volume adjustment also.

Haven't tried out the I Agree screen. Isn't it default ON already? As in already bypassed?

What I don't like is the fact that everytime I pop it in reverse then back in drive, it goes back to the Nav screen.

BTW, here is a picture of how I mounted my iPod nano. Yes I completely removed the cig lighter. It is also a perfect fit.

Great idea! It's what I used, too. Nano owners the fit is nearly perfect.

Last edited by kensteele; 07-01-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 12:26 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Angry

so it is daylight now and i can see some damage from last night installation. glove box door has a three inch mark on the door itself so i will probably have to replace it if i can't repair it, touch up, or somehow cover it. where to buy parts besides dealer and can i do myself?

Last edited by kensteele; 07-01-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-01-06, 04:49 PM
darrelld
Driver

so it is daylight now and i can see some damage from last night installation. glove box door has a three inch mark on the door itself so i will probably have to replace it if i can't repair it, touch up, or somehow cover it. where to buy parts besides dealer and can i do myself?

Feel your pain, put a small nic in my console where my microfiber cloth slipped from under the Nav. I will probably just live with it.

Another tip, make certain you run the Vais wiring harness under the ducts at the bottom of your Nav or the ash tray lip will not stay open. As others have said make certain the Vais wiring harness plug is firmly pressed in. Had to remove the Nav again after the Vais harness came loose during the reinstall.

Make certain before you attempt to configure the Vais settings that your Nav screen is set to Beep On. This setting is on the Info screen, without hearing the beep some settings are hard to determine.

Last edited by darrelld; 07-01-06 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 08:38 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

I had a few issues doing the install on a non-Nav, non-ML unit.

First I had an issue with the vents, they can be rough to get out and make sure the vent unit is totally assembled when you put it back in (all the clips properly fastened - holding the front to the vent unit, its easy to pop these clips when your prying the vent unit out) else its real fun to try to get it out to fix it. Ended up putting some small indents on the top of my center radio unit - I can live with that.

What I can't live with is the inconsistency of the VAIS SLI unit - with non-Nav, non-ML I often lose the track/song/etc text display (displays text fine then suddenly goes NO TEXT), cannot adjust the VAIS volume level (using simple mode, SCAN mode on, SCAN UP/DOWN or AUX mode, SCAN mode on, SCAN UP/DOWN), you cannot turn off the repeat function, and a lot of the features can only be used with Nav.

I've had to go into my center console, under the shifter (good place to install btw) several times to reset the unit. Could be that I have a buggy unit but it seems like the VAIS software is a beta build more than a release build, at least pertaining to non-Navi head units.

I've had the 1st gen Alpine, 2nd gen Alpine and now the VAIS, and the VAIS has good response time but the bugs are really killing it for me. Going to call them tomorrow and hopefully there's some updated firmware for it.

EDIT: Ok fixed the no AUX issue after playing around with simple mode for awhile.

Last edited by CoasterG; 07-02-06 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)