IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 11:40 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lex-Luther
Does the pic above dispell the rumor that our headunits do not do CD text with the VAIS???????????????

Just curious about the "mp3" label up near the top. Is that emulation mode? I think for our 2IS, we use CD-MP3 or SAT emulation mode. What about "CD Changer Emulation Mode" or even "MD Changer Emulation Mode?" Just wondering what effect that would have on the operation (slow to change tracks). According to the manual, this programming "must be done in order for the unit to find proper address location in the vehicle audio/video network."

edit: so i read the manual a little more and it's still a bit confusing but i'm just wondering if there is something we can do about the delay when changing tracks. it's not bad, just annoying.

Last edited by kensteele; 07-02-06 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 12:23 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been playing around with mine some more today and I found if you reset your iPod the lag seems to be reduced significantly.

Also, got rid of the NO TITLE issue by going to simple mode and then back out.

Still haven't solved the SCAN volume adjustment issue for non-Navi/non-ML radios - I can't get the unit to adjust its internal volume settings, they are good for my iPod, bad for my AUX XM input.

Edit: the NO TITLE issue still exists, the simple mode "trick" doesn't work reliably.

Last edited by CoasterG; 07-03-06 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-02-06, 03:43 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

I had the SLI installed today in the ES350. We attempted to do the nav hack but it disabled the backup camera and the hack didn't work. Since the place was closing, we ran out of time and I have to go back on Wednesday to fix it. Is there anyone that can comfirm the wires for the nav hack are the same as the IS model Nav generation 5?
Old 07-02-06, 03:47 PM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
Just curious about the "mp3" label up near the top. Is that emulation mode? I think for our 2IS, we use CD-MP3 or SAT emulation mode. What about "CD Changer Emulation Mode" or even "MD Changer Emulation Mode?" Just wondering what effect that would have on the operation (slow to change tracks). According to the manual, this programming "must be done in order for the unit to find proper address location in the vehicle audio/video network."

edit: so i read the manual a little more and it's still a bit confusing but i'm just wondering if there is something we can do about the delay when changing tracks. it's not bad, just annoying.
I had this installed today in an ES350 and the installer could not get it to work in CD-MP3 (Sat) emulation mode. It is working in CD emulation though. Anyone know the difference? Which should I be using?
BTW - we ran into a problem doing the nav hack and disabled the backup camera instead. I have to go back to have it fixed. Anyone know anything about this in an ES350 and if the procedure is different than the IS model?
Old 07-02-06, 06:13 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Default Install Advice For the Radio Plug Location

Thanks to all the posters whom have helped to pave the way! I have now completed the install and the Nav Hack and both work fantastic!

I did have trouble finding the iPod harness plug on the radio as to do the Nac Hack 1st, I left the HU upright and could not see the radio plugs hiding under the black shelf of the radio, under the black wireing loom all tied up. All the Nav hack photos do NOT show the bottom of the stack where these plugs live. So, I built up a shelf on the passenger seat with a towel, a board to span the seat without digging into the leather, and finally a foam block and towel, so the brackets could safely dig into something soft. Then pulled out the HU further and laid it on its side. Carefully uncut the bottom loom and there are the plugs! For those who have not yet made the journey, here are three pictures. First is loom uncut, all plugs in, Second (out-of-focus, sorry) is the plug you want, only partially in. Third, is the Vastech Y-cable plugged into the HU and factory harness, BEFORE re-wrapping some of the Y-Cable loom to tidy it up, before reinstall.
http://web.mac.com/stugary/iWeb/Gary...e/Vastech.html

I mounted my unit behind the carpet under the glove box, so I can access it eaiser. When doing so, the earlier post about routing the cables, over and behind the HU bracket is CRITICAL for the ash tray to clear and work. I mounted the iPod in the armrest bin, but behind the cup holder mount, so we still have the cup holder. Again, thanks for the post on how to do that!

I tried MD mode, none of the advanced text screens showed. I then used CD mode, same result. On My ML, the CD-MP3 mode gave me all the text and folder lists, works great!

The "I-agree" bypass screen setting was off as the unit shipped from Vas Tech, so I had to enable this per the manual. All in all, I am thrilled to have a great degree of iPod control, even while driving, plus being able to FINALLY listen to DVD Video music disks when driving!
Old 07-02-06, 07:55 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cleblanc
I had the SLI installed today in the ES350. We attempted to do the nav hack but it disabled the backup camera and the hack didn't work. Since the place was closing, we ran out of time and I have to go back on Wednesday to fix it. Is there anyone that can comfirm the wires for the nav hack are the same as the IS model Nav generation 5?
I don't think the wire for the nav hack is the same on the ES350. You may need to find out about the wiring from Lexus first, you're a brave man.
Old 07-03-06, 02:43 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I don't think the wire for the nav hack is the same on the ES350. You may need to find out about the wiring from Lexus first, you're a brave man.
I've already verified the wire is not the same. Stupid me. I downloaded the wiring diagram after having the installer do the hack. The speed sensor wire is not a pink one - it is light blue. But I don't know if the procedure is the same or not. The wiring diagram is completely different.
BTW - I'm a brave woman. My husband never would have attempted such a thing. Now I have to have the installer undo what he did and hopefully my backup camera will work again. But I'm really pissed that I needed to do this in the first place just to enable a feature (song details) that should be there anyway.
Old 07-03-06, 08:28 AM
BShears
Rookie

Fire Chief,

The big white plug is what you pull out? Would you describe the steps in slightly more detail?

Thanks

BTW: These steps were always missing (with pictures). Thanks a lot and it's great to find another Mac user!
Old 07-03-06, 11:52 AM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BShears
Fire Chief,

The big white plug is what you pull out? Would you describe the steps in slightly more detail?

Thanks

BTW: These steps were always missing (with pictures). Thanks a lot and it's great to find another Mac user!
Yes, the large white one, that is the 3rd in from the passenger side. To get to it, carefully cut the wrap off the loom, seperate all the cables, and pull ALL the plugs off the bottom unit, It is MUCH eaiser this way, the plugs are easy to depress the tang and pull out, they only go back in their own dedicated socket, so its foolproof. Then with everything open, you can get to the big plug for the Vastech harness, plug the Vastech plugs all in, plug in the remaining Lexus plugs and then re-wrap the loom so when you slide the whole package back into the dash, its easy and nothing catches. Don't let the Vastech harness feed or hang under the brackets, or the ash tray slide won't work.
Old 07-03-06, 12:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^i think that's the best way to remove the plugs, i didn't do that....removed just the one plug and it was kinda difficult until i used a tiny screwdriver to pry and leverage. the plugs are unique which is good and again, you have to make sure you push them all the way in tight....without damaging the pins.

on another note, i reset my ipod nano and the lag is still there, resetting didn't help much. and on the "i-agree" screen, you have to wait a few seconds for it to clear automatically else if you put the car in reverse (with rear-camera) too early, it won't work. i keep reaching for the button out of habit, gotta get use to this "cool" feature.
Old 07-04-06, 04:54 PM
BShears
Rookie

Originally Posted by jewel
On the first step, taking out the two trim pieces, start with the end closest to you and pull it up and back towards you. The clips are U shaped and will come loose when you pull it back.
Simple questions:

Did you guys just pull it or did you use a pry tool (like a screw driver)?

"the end closest to you" = the pointy part closest to the back seat?

Mine is in pretty sung. I just got the car 4 days ago.
Old 07-04-06, 05:37 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

Simple questions:

Did you guys just pull it or did you use a pry tool (like a screw driver)?

"the end closest to you" = the pointy part closest to the back seat?

Mine is in pretty sung. I just got the car 4 days ago.
I found in another post a video that showed how to use two credit cards and it works GREAT. Slide one under the chrome trim at the front near the dash. Then slide a 2nd card on top of the first also under the trim. They only go under a few mm. Then slide both cards to the rear. As you slide, the cards need to clear the clips, if they "stop" you have them too deep. As they slide, the trip will pop up some, then grab the trim and pull it to the REAR of the car. Thus the clips come out to the rear and up about 30 degrees. Install is the reverse...
Old 07-04-06, 08:15 PM
BShears
Rookie

I found that video. It looks so easy.

Is it true that you lose the turn-by-turn voice commands when you do the hack?

I understand that you can't get the song details (title, artist, album) to display while in motion if you don't do the hack. I'm not sure it's worth the trade-off since I'm planning on watching the road and not a movie when I'm driving.
Old 07-04-06, 09:08 PM
Fire Chief
Driver School Candidate

I found that video. It looks so easy.

Is it true that you lose the turn-by-turn voice commands when you do the hack?

I understand that you can't get the song details (title, artist, album) to display while in motion if you don't do the hack. I'm not sure it's worth the trade-off since I'm planning on watching the road and not a movie when I'm driving.
I still have turn by turn after the hack. I beleive this issue is only when playing a DVD Video while moving. I need to test further. I used the Nav after the hack, while listening to the iPod and the voice prompts were there...

By the way, on the dash vent pull, use one credit card to protect the soft lip, then pry between the card and vent with a plastic or taped up pry tool. Works well if the card is over the outer edge clip location, they don't lock down as well.
Old 07-04-06, 10:30 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The verbal commands should still work while in DVD Video mode. If it does not, then there is something wrong with the wires.

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)