IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3 weeks old and Scratches! Soft paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 05:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ALL car manafacturers will be using the same softer paint since they get the same paint from the same supplier, its not just lexus. Due to environmental reasons they have to get less polluting paint which results in a paint with less solids and more water based so its going to be softer
Old 06-20-06, 07:57 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ALL car manafacturers will be using the same softer paint since they get the same paint from the same supplier, its not just lexus. Due to environmental reasons they have to get less polluting paint which results in a paint with less solids and more water based so its going to be softer
What's the name of the supplier, I want to research this..
Old 06-20-06, 08:15 AM
onefast350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i live next to little trees and i always have a new scratch every week
Old 06-20-06, 09:46 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iorchii
sorry to say... but i agree with you guys. this car does scratch easily, very soft paint... i heard they use more layers on the coating of the paint to get the nice colors it comes in, causing the top layer to scratch easily. Just got my two scratches today on the freeway / highway.
I thought it was gonna be one scratch at first, because i heard the rock chip hit the side of my passenger door. But that rock chip hit my car twice, i think it bounced off the 1st time it hit my car and scratched it again the second time.
]

You're car got hit with a moving projectile, hard enough for you to hear..... so are you saying its the paint being soft that causes the scratches? Or just sharing youre ding story? If just sharing that sucks. Nothing worse than scratches you can't avoid.

I'd venture to say that no matter what car gets hit by a moving stone/pebble projectile of any sort dings/dents/scratches etc will occur. This isn't the paints fault..... just physics.

Last edited by Tmirk; 06-20-06 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 10:53 AM
iorchii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tmirk
You're car got hit with a moving projectile, hard enough for you to hear..... so are you saying its the paint being soft that causes the scratches? Or just sharing youre ding story? If just sharing that sucks. Nothing worse than scratches you can't avoid.

I'd venture to say that no matter what car gets hit by a moving stone/pebble projectile of any sort dings/dents/scratches etc will occur. This isn't the paints fault..... just physics.
The reason i say the paint is soft is because i have a 2004 RSX Type S, always commuted 1+ hour to and from school, always hear little pebbles, rocks and misc stone/sand items hitting the front or side of my car. Right now, the paint on the car is scratch free, but like 3 major dents the size of the pencil tip.

As for this car, had it for only a few weeks it has a scratch size of a nickel, no dents yet... And I have clear bra too or I think it would be worse.