IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3 weeks old and Scratches! Soft paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 05:55 PM
BrightIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 weeks old and Scratches! Soft paint?

I picked up my IS350 in May. Smokey Granite Mica.

I noticed several small swirl scratches about 2 weeks ago. This caused me to get the paint sealent, clear bra and a good wax on car.

I never use a car wash. I hand washed the car yesterday using a pressure washer, Mr Clean spotless wash kit and a soft mitt. The mitt had just been washed and I soaked it first.

When the car was dry, I found about 10 shallow, small scratches in the paint, all curving. I can only think that small bits of grit must be getting into the mitt and scratching the paint.

This is about my 10th car and my second Lexus. I have never experienced this before. I love the IS but I am really upset about the scratches. I don't want to buff and cut the paint on a nearly new car. Thinning the paint will just make future scratches that much worse.

Is the paint very soft?

Anybody else have this problem?

I am thinking of writing to Lexus to make them aware of the problem.
Old 06-11-06, 06:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought people said it was too brittle?!? Make up your mind people.

I think people need to read more of the detailing threads. What is the wash mitt made of... synthetic, sheep wool? I've washed my IS a dozen times already, with no issues.

You are ALWAYS going to see imperfections a lot worse on a dark car, just a fact of life.
Old 06-11-06, 06:15 PM
hughr
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem on a 2006 is250 matador red lexus. Noticed them them after I washed and waxed the car on day 2. Dealer buffed most of them out but they came back after the next washing. I take extreme care when I wash and wax the car and this should not be happening. Most of the responses in the detaiing forum tell you how to remove them but the problem is that the clear coat scratches (not swirles) to easy. I looked at the cars on the dealers showroom floor and most of the cars had the same type of scratches . I pointed this out to the salesperson and the reply was " dark colors show more scratches". I'm not sure what to do. It's frustrating. My scratches show up in the shade or in a garage. It is very difficult to see the in the sunlight.
Old 06-14-06, 04:32 PM
Blahzay
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same problem with scratches on my Smoky Granite Mica is250. Noticed them from day one, and everytime I look at the car, there seems to be more of them.

Not much you can do about it I don't think...but it still pisses me off
Old 06-14-06, 04:35 PM
jacsha
Driver School Candidate

Looks like all the Smoky Granite Mica tend to chip easily.
2 of my friends got lots of chip on the hood, but my black oynx is ok so far
Old 06-15-06, 06:18 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

I got scratches all over my car after month of owning it (trunk, roof, doors). I have repainted the car, what costed me $$$$, now it's all scratched again. The paint seems very weak indeed and that's quite dissapointing. It seems like you can scratch it with your nail
Old 06-15-06, 07:24 AM
Aclarke
Driver

The paint is sickeningly soft.... no doubt about it.

I also think that the panels are too thin and prone to dents... 3 dents in 6 mos... got 2 fixed at once already, but just noticed another this morning!!!! WTF
Old 06-15-06, 08:06 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Aclarke
I also think that the panels are too thin and prone to dents... 3 dents in 6 mos... got 2 fixed at once already, but just noticed another this morning!!!! WTF
maybe you'd be better off with a Saturn.
Old 06-15-06, 08:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by crzcrz
I got scratches all over my car after month of owning it (trunk, roof, doors). I have repainted the car, what costed me $$$$, now it's all scratched again. The paint seems very weak indeed and that's quite dissapointing. It seems like you can scratch it with your nail
1. Can't image why you would have repainted your car for a few scratches. A repaint is less durable and will significantly lower the resale value of your car.

2. You can't fault Lexus for the quality of your repaint. A local body shop isn't going to have the special ovens that the factory uses to bake on the finish.
Old 06-15-06, 08:36 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

Lexus has some of the worst paint for a luxury car I have seen.
Old 06-15-06, 08:49 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
maybe you'd be better off with a Saturn.

seriously... I enjoy my IS, but I think I would have prefered something a bit sturdier and German
Old 06-15-06, 09:08 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
1. Can't image why you would have repainted your car for a few scratches. A repaint is less durable and will significantly lower the resale value of your car.

2. You can't fault Lexus for the quality of your repaint. A local body shop isn't going to have the special ovens that the factory uses to bake on the finish.
1. Because car was new and i wanted it to look new. There were a bit more than few scratches.
2. I did repaint at Lexus dealership. They have a body shop. So it's supposedly same paint and technology.

Last edited by crzcrz; 06-15-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 09:52 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

^^ and you suposedly believe everything you are told
Old 06-15-06, 10:06 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
^^ and you suposedly believe everything you are told

LOL seriously...

How much $$$ did it cost to repaint the entire vehicle? Whether the job was done through the dealer or not, repaint is repaint and it definately devalues the car.
Old 06-15-06, 10:23 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading all these posts justifies my decision to go with a light color IS.

Quick Reply: 3 weeks old and Scratches! Soft paint?