IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

fog light hid help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 08:25 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fog light hid help

sorry for another hid help thread, but for those that installed hid's into their fogs... where did you mount your ballast??? i have the huge ballast and igniter in one deal and i have no idea where to mount it. it's so cramped behind the bumper and i just can't find enough room to put it. plus i don't even know how ima be able to wire the wiring harness into that area where the fog light is. can't seem to find a hole that leads into that area behind the fogs. any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-12-06, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

not sure about the is250/350, but on my gs400 and also some is300 i have seen, you can try to mount the ballast right behind the front crush bar?
Old 06-12-06, 09:25 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted mine on the large wiring harness. I'm still not happy with the mounting spot, and may go back in again and see what I can come up with, but its secure.

My kit is a plug n play, so I had no wiring issues.
Old 06-12-06, 12:03 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

when you say no wiring issues, does that mean you didn't have to route the wiring harness for the hids from the battery to the ballast and then to the bulbs? i still have no idea how ima get the wiring harness into the fog light area. i think i might need to take off the entire bumper to see what i can do back there...
Old 06-12-06, 10:27 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

I double-sided taped it to the bumper and also zip-tied it to the big harness.
Old 06-13-06, 10:54 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

finally did the install tonight. ended up using industrial strength velcro to attach it to the backside of the metal bumper beam. i wanted to zip tie it also but there was nothing to zip tie it to. the snaking of the wiring harness thru the engine was kinda tough. found a lil tiny hole that led into the fender area and went in thru there. ended up having to cut the wires on one of the bulbs and extend it with some other wires cuz the ballast was too far away from the bulb and wouldn't reach.

the light output is pretty bright. i think it might actually be too bright. it's a lot brigher than the headlights... probably cuz the headlights are projectors and the fogs are reflectors. also the hid bulbs i used are d2s rather than d2r. i can't necessarily see farther down the road but the road immediately in front of the car is lit up more as well as the corners.
Old 06-13-06, 11:13 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
finally did the install tonight. ended up using industrial strength velcro to attach it to the backside of the metal bumper beam. i wanted to zip tie it also but there was nothing to zip tie it to. the snaking of the wiring harness thru the engine was kinda tough. found a lil tiny hole that led into the fender area and went in thru there. ended up having to cut the wires on one of the bulbs and extend it with some other wires cuz the ballast was too far away from the bulb and wouldn't reach.

the light output is pretty bright. i think it might actually be too bright. it's a lot brigher than the headlights... probably cuz the headlights are projectors and the fogs are reflectors. also the hid bulbs i used are d2s rather than d2r. i can't necessarily see farther down the road but the road immediately in front of the car is lit up more as well as the corners.
I guess it's too late for you but for future references. There's a decent size hole below the headlight assembly next to the intake box on the passenger side. Once you remove the intake box you can get to that. And on the drive side you can pass the wires through the space where the washer fluid reservoir is.

I'm not sure how long you wires were but I was able to do it w/o cutting any of the wires from my XenonDepot Xtreme 6500k kit. I thought I wouldn't have enough wire for the relay but I did!
Old 06-14-06, 12:03 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

i also went thru the hole with the washer fluid reservoir. my wiring harness was long enough to reach the driver side ballast but the ballast to the bulb wasn't long enough.
Old 06-14-06, 12:58 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i also went thru the hole with the washer fluid reservoir. my wiring harness was long enough to reach the driver side ballast but the ballast to the bulb wasn't long enough.
ahh ic. where'd you put the ballast? i put my ballast inside of the bumper.
Old 06-14-06, 07:32 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

HID doesn't void warranty right? even for a leased vehicle?
Old 06-14-06, 08:45 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

i put both ballasts on the actual metal bumper beam. the one on the passenger side was within reach of the bulb but the driver side was too far... thats why i had to extend the wire a little.

dunno if it voids warranty or not... but you can always switch em out to stock.
Old 07-04-06, 11:03 AM
flyfl1pguy

so putting HID on fogs is hard? Should I just have someone install it for mE?
Old 07-04-06, 12:57 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

it's really not THAT hard... the hardest part is maybe finding a little hole to snake the wire harness thru on the passenger side. i also wish i had found a better place to mount the ballast rather than on the bumper beam. on my integra i hid em inside the fender. but on the IS i didn't even need to remove the bumper or anything.
Old 07-04-06, 03:32 PM
flyfl1pguy

How about helping me install it?