IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS350 Newbie questions (after searching)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 09:01 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
How to play music files that have burned onto a DVD.

Today I insert a DVD-R file in my ML player and the songs start playing. I can skip from song to song using the steering wheel buttons....AND I get album art and song and title information.

It's a complete workaround tho. When I get everything all buttoned up and documented, I will tell you how I did it. This is a tough crowd and I want to have all my facts straight before I start posting and look like and idiot. I can tell you this, I don't think they are mp3s.

But I think this is it, the only thing I have yet to try is filling up to capacity, up to 4.7gb. So far I've only did it with an album's worth (10 songs?) then I quit. I wanted to listen to an album and all I had were blank DVDs.

I can post a short video showing you this in action but like I said, it's very cumbersome to do, it's a complete workaround, and it might not be worth it (except for show). Give me a few days to work this out, right now I'm having to grab song by song when I would prefer to do a bunch of songs at once (trying to fill a complete DVD).....stay tuned and let me know if you are interested.
I would be interested. Let us in on the secret...
Old 06-12-06, 09:50 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Today I insert a DVD-R file in my ML player and the songs start playing. I can skip from song to song using the steering wheel buttons....AND I get album art and song and title information.

It's a complete workaround tho. When I get everything all buttoned up and documented, I will tell you how I did it. This is a tough crowd and I want to have all my facts straight before I start posting and look like and idiot. I can tell you this, I don't think they are mp3s.

But I think this is it, the only thing I have yet to try is filling up to capacity, up to 4.7gb. So far I've only did it with an album's worth (10 songs?) then I quit. I wanted to listen to an album and all I had were blank DVDs.

I can post a short video showing you this in action but like I said, it's very cumbersome to do, it's a complete workaround, and it might not be worth it (except for show). Give me a few days to work this out, right now I'm having to grab song by song when I would prefer to do a bunch of songs at once (trying to fill a complete DVD).....stay tuned and let me know if you are interested.
I definately would love to know how. You said that they are not MP3 files....if you are converting them to audio files and making a DVD Audio disc, then it is not the same. You cannot fit nearly as many songs on it. I hope you figure this one out....I have been racking my brain trying to find a workaround.
Old 06-12-06, 10:23 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Album art too? Whoa, I did not know our screens could display that.
Old 06-12-06, 10:49 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kavistar
I definately would love to know how. You said that they are not MP3 files....if you are converting them to audio files and making a DVD Audio disc, then it is not the same. You cannot fit nearly as many songs on it. I hope you figure this one out....I have been racking my brain trying to find a workaround.
yeah i know, i don't think they are mp3s, i'm not sure what they are and what quality they are...or their size. when i'm adding music files to be burned, every time i add a song, it appears that my total space available only decreases by a megabyte or two or three each time i complete an "add" of one song.
Old 06-12-06, 10:56 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Album art too? Whoa, I did not know our screens could display that.
i should not have called it album art.

because album art technically is tied directly to the music file. the only way i know of to get album art automatically is using itunes since mp3s don't really have "album art" not that i know of. the way i am doing it, you have to go out and find your own jpg, it could be the album cover, it could be a photo, whatever....but everytime you add a music file, you have to also find and add the jpg if you wish, but you don't have to. you should know that also means typing in by hand/manually the song title and album title, too....if you want it. not an automatic transfer from the music file [meta]tag.

so i know this is getting more "lame" by the hour like i said it's very cumbersome and it works ok for a dozen or so song (trying to figure out how to expedite it) but if all you want is the music and a bunch of music stored and played from a dvd-r, this might work....i'm going to try more later.
Old 06-12-06, 11:34 PM
ssblitz
Driver School Candidate

kensteele,

You are correct in that the mp3s have to converted into another audio format in order for the songs to be burned into a DVD-R disc and playable through the ML system. The manual says the ML system is compatible with DVD-Audio. I searched the Internet and found a program that will convert .mp3, .wma, and other Windows media format to a format that is DVD-Audio compatible. The program is called "Audio DVD Creator." The version I am using is v1.9.1.

Just like you, I can skip thru the songs using the steering wheel controls. I have yet to have the ML recognize the folders I have organized.

I have burned one disc filled to its capacity. The process took six hours. The program converts your audio files to either AC3 or PCM format depending on whether you choose quality or quantity and then burns it onto the disc.

I just wanted to chime in here to lend support to your findings. Nice post. You have all your facts straight so your posting did not make you look like an idiot.

For others, YES, we can play music burned onto a DVD-R. The process to do so is more involved that say burning an audio CD.

I believe kensteele is the person to ask in regards to that.

Can't wait for your detail instructions.

SSBlitz