IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS350 Newbie questions (after searching)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 06:50 AM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IS350 Newbie questions (after searching)

So, I'm looking at an IS350.

Quick questions:

1) Can you do MP3's on a DVD in the changer and listen to them like an MP3 CD? (I think so, but wasn't sure)

2) Is the hack something you'd recommend doing? (For my wife and daughter viewing DVD's along with nav hack features like destination set)

3) How is the bluetooth quality of sound with most phones? (I have a Cingular 8125)

4) Is the back seat space reasonable for occasionally putting in my 2.5 year old daughter and her Britax car seat?

What are the negatives that I should look out for on this car?
Old 06-12-06, 07:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) Yes you can.

2) It is sooo worth it.

3) Haven't had any trouble talking with people through mine.

4) There's enough room there for a kid's car seat.

Originally Posted by Scott in H
What are the negatives that I should look out for on this car?
Those back seats are cramped, but kids and smaller adults should be fine. Front seats have plenty of room unless if you are more than 6 ft in height and like sitting tall and upright. People have complained about the paint quality, so get a clear bra as soon as you get the car. Wood may scratch easily, but I haven't had problems. Some pretty big blind spots but that takes some time to get used to. Check out this forum: some of the "biggest" complaints from people are pretty "small."
Old 06-12-06, 08:08 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

you wont regret your decision to get one . . .
Old 06-12-06, 08:27 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

no, you can play MP3's only on CD-R, not DVD-R. The only way to play music files on DVD-R is to convert the MP3 to audio disc format (like audio CD). The hack is easy to do.
Old 06-12-06, 08:37 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

^^ no clue what you're talking about. if your burn the dvd right...it works.
Old 06-12-06, 09:23 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

^^ NO ONE has gotten an MP3 DVD-R to play. If you think otherwise, please enlighten us.
Old 06-12-06, 09:42 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by uschardcor
^^ no clue what you're talking about. if your burn the dvd right...it works.
no clue what you're talking about, either. This topic has been discussed extensively and nobody to date has been able to play mp3 burned onto a DVD-R, enen with ML. Check the spec in the manual for yourself. We all wish we could carry >25 GB (that's 6 DVD) worth of mp3 in the car, but unfortunately we can only have 6 CD-R's of mp3 (still play for quite a few hours, though.)

Last edited by jlin101; 06-12-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-12-06, 10:20 AM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I just looked at one and the back seat is going to be too small. I may get an ES instead.
The hack works on the ES right?

(Going to ES forum to ask there too)
Old 06-12-06, 11:11 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

For your growing family, an ES may be more practical. Its got a lot more room and is defintiely more comfortable. Im ususally the only person in my car, so its perfect, but if I regularly had multiple passengers the ES would be much more convienent.
Old 06-12-06, 12:04 PM
Griffey222
Rookie

Hell, as long as the seat fits, and it is safe, it's big enough. I have a 12 year old and a 4 month old and I plan to get one when the time is right...The kids can deal, as long as dad is happy. ha
Old 06-12-06, 12:21 PM
ARM0R
Driver School Candidate

This is so true!
Old 06-12-06, 12:27 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scott in H
Thanks guys. I just looked at one and the back seat is going to be too small. I may get an ES instead.
The hack works on the ES right?

(Going to ES forum to ask there too)
the hack should work, but you may want to wait until the wiring diagram is available to make sure you are cutting the right wire (the priciple is the same), as well as the instruction on removing the center console.
Old 06-12-06, 03:52 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Griffey222
Hell, as long as the seat fits, and it is safe, it's big enough. I have a 12 year old and a 4 month old and I plan to get one when the time is right...The kids can deal, as long as dad is happy. ha

The Britax car seat is larger than your average GRACO etc.... We have one in my wife's car. We are going to use a smaller more conventional seat in the IS.

That reminds me, I need to get the passenger side airbag by-pass kit for the Vette!
Old 06-12-06, 04:54 PM
Scott in H
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm selling an M5 that I've owned for 6 months. It's brand new and I love it, but it's too much of my money wrapped up into one vehicle. I'd rather have a nice sedan and a lotus elise or something.

I think the ES is the way to go for me right now. I'm also shopping the Acura RL since they barely sell, the deals are good!
Old 06-12-06, 08:28 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I might have figured it out

How to play music files that have burned onto a DVD.

Today I insert a DVD-R file in my ML player and the songs start playing. I can skip from song to song using the steering wheel buttons....AND I get album art and song and title information.

It's a complete workaround tho. When I get everything all buttoned up and documented, I will tell you how I did it. This is a tough crowd and I want to have all my facts straight before I start posting and look like and idiot. I can tell you this, I don't think they are mp3s.

But I think this is it, the only thing I have yet to try is filling up to capacity, up to 4.7gb. So far I've only did it with an album's worth (10 songs?) then I quit. I wanted to listen to an album and all I had were blank DVDs.

I can post a short video showing you this in action but like I said, it's very cumbersome to do, it's a complete workaround, and it might not be worth it (except for show). Give me a few days to work this out, right now I'm having to grab song by song when I would prefer to do a bunch of songs at once (trying to fill a complete DVD).....stay tuned and let me know if you are interested.

Quick Reply: New IS350 Newbie questions (after searching)