IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

G35driver forum: owners seem a bit bitter about IS350

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 09:25 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the 2IS based off of? Corolla? or Yaris?
Old 06-16-06, 10:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
So whats the 2IS based off of? Corolla? or Yaris?
Might as well say the IS shares the same platform as the G and the 3-Series...
Old 06-16-06, 11:49 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

if the new 07 g35 engine noticeably improves its gas mileage like the 2is has.. then i'll be impressed.
Old 06-17-06, 01:22 AM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Well, I said "you guys...". Sorry if you took that so personally, but your information is in fact not ture. In addition, there are others who are irresponsibly posting opinions about information they are assuming is factual.

Trust me, I love "shellacking" the competition just as much as the next guy, because I'm a proud owner of a beautiful new Lexus IS350, but we all have an obligation to speak facts and not just mere speculation (unless stated as such). Obviously, a few people in this thread agree with me...

Anyway, all you have to do is check Infiniti's website and/or call around to a few dealers. You can hop on edmunds.com or any one of 100's of websites for this information. Here's the pic again with the areas highlighted...
Piggy-backing off my last post...I was at the bookstore today and read in R&T magazine about the new 335ci...

If I can recall, it's going to have a 3.0L 6-Cylinder Twin-Turbo putting out 300HP AND 300lb/ft of torque. It's supposed to go to 60 in 5.3 seconds, but the author seemed to express that that was a conservative number provided by BMW, and will probably hover around the 5-second range, when all is said and done...

Goes to show you that BMW is one-upping Lexus again...and even though the car is still under 306HP, the combination of the torque and HP working together will give the IS a serious run for it's money in the speed zone.

That being said, I still love my IS!!
Old 06-17-06, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
Wow dude. You are pretty cocky for someone who is totally wrong.
ok, careful there, we don't need this to go further
Old 06-17-06, 03:05 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
infiniti is higher than acura.

if you thought infiniti forums were bad, check out bimmer forums.
if you think bimmer forums are bad, check out lexus forums. it seems that a LOT of posters in this and other lexus forums feel the need to tell everybody how superior their cars are. having owned a BMW M3 in the past and having belonged to "those" forums, I can tell you that the ones I belonged NEVER trashed other cars, nor did we even have threads that compared how much better our cars were than someobdy elses.
Old 06-17-06, 09:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Belmont

Actually, they aren't. The platforms are the same.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the G35 and the Altima are very closely related and share much of the same components.
This is wrong.
When Renault bought Nissan (or merger), Nissan had over 20 platforms. Only ONE made money!!!
To make money, Ghosen was hell bent on sharing everything and making a profit. Everything else took a back seat. Ghosen also realized Nissan had to stand out somehow, he chose advertising class leading or near class leading power and stylish vehicles. Ghosen has stated if the car will not make money, he will not build it.
Thus the VQ, which at the time made 3.0 liters, was enlarged to 3.5 liters. This engine was to be put in pretty much EVERY Nissan product, which includes Infiniti. Good decision as this engine already won awards and the size meant they could put in in vans, sports cars, trucks, sedans you name it. This engine is in millions of cars!! And it still wins awards.

Next was platform sharing. The Altima is NOT FM based. The Maxima is built off the Altima platform. THe biggest giveaway is the car is FWD, the FM based cars are RWD.

FM based cars are the Fairlady Z, or 350Z, G35/Skyline, Fuga/M35/45, FX 35/45. It is a very good platform and has done well for Nissan.

Bottom line, Altima/G35 shares Engine, but not platform.

Lets argue FACTS and valuable opinions and not spread totally wrong information

Old 06-17-06, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Piggy-backing off my last post...I was at the bookstore today and read in R&T magazine about the new 335ci...

If I can recall, it's going to have a 3.0L 6-Cylinder Twin-Turbo putting out 300HP AND 300lb/ft of torque. It's supposed to go to 60 in 5.3 seconds, but the author seemed to express that that was a conservative number provided by BMW, and will probably hover around the 5-second range, when all is said and done...

Goes to show you that BMW is one-upping Lexus again...and even though the car is still under 306HP, the combination of the torque and HP working together will give the IS a serious run for it's money in the speed zone.

That being said, I still love my IS!!
As technology has gotten better and people are more power oriented, most all car makers are trying to give people more power.
Some car makers have done a better job not FORGETTING, these are entry level luxury cars. If we are only concered about peak power, we would be riding motorcycles.

Not sure BMW is one-upping Lexus, as we are comparing a naturally aspirated 3.5 V-6 to a twin turbo 3.0 V-6. The same power but 2 totally different ways of getting it.

I do think the 335 will be FABULOUS.

Even the next G35, still stuck with an ancient 5 speed auto, when everyone else has 6 speeds or more. The new interior does look a lot better than before (though anything was an improvement).

Looking at sales, there is room for all 3 cars. The G35 does offer the advantage of a 6 speed manual WITH the 3.5, while Lexus only offers it with the 250. BMW as we know offers manuals in all 3s except the touring.
Lexus and BMW offer multiple engines, the G35 is one engine only. I am sure the new G35 will undercut both in pricing, to continue to convince buyers to try the brand.

Old 06-17-06, 11:04 AM
boostedg35
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is wrong.
When Renault bought Nissan (or merger), Nissan had over 20 platforms. Only ONE made money!!!
To make money, Ghosen was hell bent on sharing everything and making a profit. Everything else took a back seat. Ghosen also realized Nissan had to stand out somehow, he chose advertising class leading or near class leading power and stylish vehicles. Ghosen has stated if the car will not make money, he will not build it.
Thus the VQ, which at the time made 3.0 liters, was enlarged to 3.5 liters. This engine was to be put in pretty much EVERY Nissan product, which includes Infiniti. Good decision as this engine already won awards and the size meant they could put in in vans, sports cars, trucks, sedans you name it. This engine is in millions of cars!! And it still wins awards.

Next was platform sharing. The Altima is NOT FM based. The Maxima is built off the Altima platform. THe biggest giveaway is the car is FWD, the FM based cars are RWD.

FM based cars are the Fairlady Z, or 350Z, G35/Skyline, Fuga/M35/45, FX 35/45. It is a very good platform and has done well for Nissan.

Bottom line, Altima/G35 shares Engine, but not platform.

Lets argue FACTS and valuable opinions and not spread totally wrong information
thank you,

but i do disagree with the 335i comments that thing is just as fast as the curren m3 model right now. that says alot! i have just decided to put my money in savings and wait out all these releases and then i am going to make my choice. so for me its 335i vs is350 vs g35 coupe all 2007 hopefully lexus wil come with a 6speed manual to really mess my head up
Old 06-17-06, 11:36 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
if you think bimmer forums are bad, check out lexus forums. it seems that a LOT of posters in this and other lexus forums feel the need to tell everybody how superior their cars are. having owned a BMW M3 in the past and having belonged to "those" forums, I can tell you that the ones I belonged NEVER trashed other cars, nor did we even have threads that compared how much better our cars were than someobdy elses.
Depends which forum... 3 series you'll have a lot more bashing of other cars than 5s... I belong to a 5 series board and theres hardly any bashing... doesnt matter if the 5 is slower than the Infiniti M... just not a concern for ummm how do I say it... older folks... weither older means in age or in the mind...
Old 06-17-06, 11:49 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Belmont

Actually, they aren't. The platforms are the same.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the G35 and the Altima are very closely related and share much of the same components.
Hmmm please tell us what components are the same thing? Because they are not the same platforms and nothing IS THE SAME. We had a Altima and a G35, both are now sold but nothing was the same.
Old 06-17-06, 02:28 PM
mort
Lead Lap

The only thing the same, is they are made by Nissan.
Old 06-17-06, 02:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

OK guys, this thread has run its course and has turned into petty bickering with no new info and inflamatory generalizations, misinformation and irrational comparisons.

Let's give it some time before starting another forum comparo thread (this means do not re-start another thread on this same topic after I lock it please).