IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML/DVD music, anyone tried roxio music dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 03:04 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have burned a DVD using Roxio Music Disc Creator 9. I took 45 hours of MP3s (approximately 500 mp3 songs) and fit it on a single dual layer 8.5 gig DVD. Pretty nice interface was created automatically... I still prefer Sony DVD Architect + Vegas for video, but Roxio Music Disc Creator is a simple way to burn a music DVD... Recommended...
Old 11-10-06, 03:41 PM
socal28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I have burned a DVD using Roxio Music Disc Creator 9. I took 45 hours of MP3s (approximately 500 mp3 songs) and fit it on a single dual layer 8.5 gig DVD. Pretty nice interface was created automatically... I still prefer Sony DVD Architect + Vegas for video, but Roxio Music Disc Creator is a simple way to burn a music DVD... Recommended...
But the big question is: Does this method play in our IS350 ML/DVD unit?
Thanks.
Old 11-10-06, 03:51 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socal28
But the big question is: Does this method play in our IS350 ML/DVD unit?
Thanks.
Well, it plays in my standard DVD player at home, I assume it will play in the ML/DVD unit... There's no reason why it shouldn't since it's standard AC-3 files...
Old 11-10-06, 09:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ken and Technique,

If you have not noticed my thread about Nav TV, I too will have a DVD Changer similar like you guys with ML.

I am now anxious to know how to create a DVD with :

MPG/AVI/WMV format Music Videos on DVD
and
MP3 full of Mp3 Music on DVD

Can either of you 2 please help me?
Old 11-10-06, 09:52 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
Ken and Technique,

If you have not noticed my thread about Nav TV, I too will have a DVD Changer similar like you guys with ML.

I am now anxious to know how to create a DVD with :

MPG/AVI/WMV format Music Videos on DVD
and
MP3 full of Mp3 Music on DVD

Can either of you 2 please help me?
ML only plays DVD-Audio, not DVD-R with MP3's. Basically Technique converted MP3s to AC-3's to a DVD-Audio.
Old 11-11-06, 07:03 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

TimboIS is correct.

Regarding burining music videos to DVD, that's pretty easy as well, except I do it using professional software on windows. If you are using a mac, ask kensteele, he uses a mac. If you are using a PC, then there are about 50 different programs out that that convert files to DVD format. Do a google search for "xvid/divx/avi/mpg dvd convert" and you'll see what I mean.

I use Sony Vegas and Sony DVD Architect to make my music video DVDs. I usually get about 3-4 hours of video on a dual layer disc, but I use the highest quality encoding.
Old 11-11-06, 04:43 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
TimboIS is correct.

Regarding burining music videos to DVD, that's pretty easy as well, except I do it using professional software on windows. If you are using a mac, ask kensteele, he uses a mac. If you are using a PC, then there are about 50 different programs out that that convert files to DVD format. Do a google search for "xvid/divx/avi/mpg dvd convert" and you'll see what I mean.

I use Sony Vegas and Sony DVD Architect to make my music video DVDs. I usually get about 3-4 hours of video on a dual layer disc, but I use the highest quality encoding.
I am also using a windows based OS (Win XP).

What programs do you recommend doing this conversion for a DVD Music Video Disc?
Old 11-11-06, 05:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I do everything on my Mac these days.
Old 11-11-06, 11:49 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

How can I convert mp3 files to AC-3? If I can get 500 songs on a single DVD using that, I'd be very interested in learning more.
Old 11-12-06, 06:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
How can I convert mp3 files to AC-3? If I can get 500 songs on a single DVD using that, I'd be very interested in learning more.
There are more programs than I can list... I recommend using Roxio Music Disc Creator. It comes as part of Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I think you can buy it as an online download for less than $100. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there, and that's probably overkill if you JUST want it for burning music DVDs since you are getting the entire suite of products... Browse the Roxio website, maybe you can buy it separately for less?
Old 11-12-06, 06:29 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
I am also using a windows based OS (Win XP).

What programs do you recommend doing this conversion for a DVD Music Video Disc?
Do a google search like I said, see what programs you come up with... I use Sony Vegas and Sony DVD Architect, but they are professional programs and are expensive... But I know there is freeware/shareware out there that can basically do the same thing... avi2dvd is one, so is tmpgenc... But it all depends on your level of technical proficiency...
Old 11-21-06, 07:40 PM
dhza8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tried a Music DVD: Partial success

I bought Roxio Toast 7 Titanium (for Mac, of course) and tried a Music DVD. I'm happy to report that it sounds quite good in the IS. I dragged AIFF files from iTunes into the appropriate Toast window, de-selected smartlists and shuffle play (not sure what that does in this context) and burned away.

The default is "Dolby Digital 192 kbps". I take it that 192 kbps means it gets compressed and Dolby Digital means it outputs to a compatible format to the surround system. I didn't fill it up for my little experiment, but up to 100 hours for a DL disc a real incentive. If I could drag album art into the Toast window, I would even have a cool screen to look at while the song plays.

The problems: 1) I haven't figured a way to navigate the disc; and 2) the park brake has to be engaged since this is technically playing a DVD-V.

I'm going to study this a bit and try again. Anyone else trying this?
Old 11-21-06, 10:03 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dhza8
I bought Roxio Toast 7 Titanium (for Mac, of course) and tried a Music DVD. I'm happy to report that it sounds quite good in the IS. I dragged AIFF files from iTunes into the appropriate Toast window, de-selected smartlists and shuffle play (not sure what that does in this context) and burned away.

The default is "Dolby Digital 192 kbps". I take it that 192 kbps means it gets compressed and Dolby Digital means it outputs to a compatible format to the surround system. I didn't fill it up for my little experiment, but up to 100 hours for a DL disc a real incentive. If I could drag album art into the Toast window, I would even have a cool screen to look at while the song plays.

The problems: 1) I haven't figured a way to navigate the disc; and 2) the park brake has to be engaged since this is technically playing a DVD-V.

I'm going to study this a bit and try again. Anyone else trying this?
yes when i play audio files off my dvd, i see album art on the nav screen. using idvd and you'll have to make some special modifications to your ml system.

idvd will allow you to build your own menus and chapters, so i used the stock template that do everything from background music while you are browsing to thumbnails by genre to wallpaper art and animation for the menu trees. just like on a dvd movie you get from blockbuster. just drop the music files, add art to the timeline, click on a few buttons (fade in/fade out, add animated titles like a music video, etc.), burn.

Last edited by kensteele; 11-21-06 at 10:07 PM.