IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MarkLevinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 05:09 PM
philippp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MarkLevinson audio

hey guys i've had my is350 for almost a month, i have the mark levinson audio and the right tweeter is always crackling, i took it to the dealer and they supposedly fixed it and on the way back home, it starts crackling again..i was wondering if anyone else had the problem or what could i do about it..
Old 06-14-06, 05:34 PM
bullit1968
Driver School Candidate

Find out if they replaced the driver or simply tightened its fitting. That kind of sound is usually the result of a torn or perforated driver (the cone) or a loose driver. New speakers like new cars take some time to break in and sometimes just tightening everything down will remedy the situation. But in your case it sounds like the driver may be damaged. If the car is cold and you blast the stereo you can tear them. My best guess is they missed the hairline crack and decided to turn a few screws instead of looking more closely.
Old 06-16-06, 05:54 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it always on the same song or is it just in general? Does it only happen at high volume levels or moderate ones too? I thought I had a blown driver one time and it turned out to be a flaw in the recording.
Old 06-16-06, 06:21 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

you know i have this same problem on my non-ml and only while listening to the radio. i know what radio static sounds like and this is much worse. not sure of the cause or anything but its definitely something i need to have looked at
Old 06-16-06, 07:47 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I had a sound similar to playing a piece scratched vinyl on a turntable several weeks ago on my ML, but it was only evident on radio playback, not CD, and corrected itself after a few minutes. I changes stations several times to make sure it was not the song or channel and it was evident everywhere on FM, then when I switched back to the original station all was fine and has been since. Can’t see it being a tweeter defect on my IS if not there on CD playback.
Old 06-16-06, 11:25 AM
philippp
Driver School Candidate

yea it happens during radio and cd, its definitely the tweeter no doubt about it, the only thing that sucks is that they said they fixed it and they really didn't. my only problem is that they said they replaced it but it doesent seem like they really did. haha i guess thats just my problem. im thinking about installing new tweeters as a whole somewhere else..sounds like a good idea? i just dont wanna deal with anymore dealer shortcuts.
Old 06-16-06, 03:06 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by philippp
yea it happens during radio and cd, its definitely the tweeter no doubt about it, the only thing that sucks is that they said they fixed it and they really didn't. my only problem is that they said they replaced it but it doesent seem like they really did. haha i guess thats just my problem. im thinking about installing new tweeters as a whole somewhere else..sounds like a good idea? i just dont wanna deal with anymore dealer shortcuts.
how long did the dealer have your car--I serously doubt that they can get their hands on a replacement tweeter any time soon.
Old 01-31-07, 08:59 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm getting the same situation. So far the dealer has replaced the mid range, tweeter, and the amp and its still making the noises.
Old 11-17-07, 11:47 PM
veilstylez
Rookie

sister is having the same problem. Does anybody know exactly what this is?