IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question on Special Ordering Process

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 08:22 PM
Litespeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Special Ordering Process

I'm considering purchasing an IS350 in the next few months but based on the fact that you can't get the ML Audio System in the Northeast without ordering, I wanted to get a feel for how the process works and what the timeline looks like for the 2007's (as well as any changes for that year versus the 2006...) So here goes...

I have been told by the Lexus dealer I visited a couple weeks back that a special order can be placed with a $500 refundable deposit (assuming that the options ordered would not make it unduly hard to sell in the even that I back out...)

1. I assume that the price is negotiated prior to the order of the car. Is this correct? Do they perform credit checks, determine the value of the trade-in, etc. prior to the order of the car?

2. Based on the fact that I would be special ordering, will this put me in a worse negotiating position on the price off MSRP then buying one off the lot without everything that I want (which I'm not thrilled about...)

3. Can anyone tell me what changes are taking place on the 2007 versus 2006 IS350? The dealer didn't seem to have any info. I assume any changes would be minor and cosmetic.

4. The car I'm looking for is the IS350, SGM with the Sport Package, NAV, ML (with the Spoiler). The MSRP on this is approximately $44k. I'd like to pay in the area of $40-41k max. Is that reasonable?

5. I've read that if you order a car right now, it would have to be a 2007 and the typical 3 month wait could be lengthed by the release date in the October timeframe (meaning if I placed it this weekend, it would be approximately 4 months... Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-14-06, 08:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its really tough to get that big of a discount on a special order, when you special order the dealer knows you want it more
Old 06-14-06, 08:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

1. best to negotiate beforehand, so that there are no surprises. most dealers won't commit to a trade-in value this far beforehand, unless you give them your vehicle now

2. you're into '07 territory now, so any discount is minimal.

4. not very likely on '07 AND special order.

5. yup 3-4 month range. probably looking at Oct at the earliest, likely Nov. or later. Last year the first special orders didn;t arrive until late Dec.
Old 06-15-06, 07:00 AM
PW007
Rookie

1. Typically the price is negotiated prior to the order of the car through a buyer agreement. It is up to the discretion of the dealer to do a credit check (they will do one if for any reason they think you are questionable about qualifying for a loan). They will only give you a value for your trade-in now if they plan on taking the car now, otherwise, there are too many uncontrollable factors that can change your trade-in value by the time you are ready to take receipt of the new car.

2. Generally, you have more room to negotiate on a car currently on the lot than on special order.

3. No solid information on the 2007's, but word is no significant changes.

4. $41k doesn't sound unreasonable, but it might be a little difficult in the Northeast. From what I have seen, people in Calif. seem to be able to get better deals than people in the Northeast. I think it is due to the differences in allocation (numbers and packages available and demand) in the different regions. Sport packages seem to be harder to get in the Northeast.

5. More closer to 4 months for the Sports package in the Northeast for a special order, unless your dealer get lucky enough to grab the car through an allocation preference.
Old 06-15-06, 10:42 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is my first post. So here goes...

1. My order(IS 350, Tungsten Perl/Black, Sport/ML/NAV/Z1(mats/wheel lock)/Rear Spoiler/tinted windows) was negotiated and written down and signed by manager and placed the next day with $500 deposit. No credit checks. I was told they would give trade-in value of my poor little '97 Saturn when I picked up the IS 350. The 306hp IS 350 will be nice change from my current 124hp Saturn SL.

2. I agree with 'PW007', "Generally, you have more room to negotiate on a car currently on the lot than on special order."

3. Talked with dealer a few days ago inquiring on my car and they said no significant changes as 'PW007' also mentioned.

4. I negotiated mine down to 42.2k out the door with tags, taxes, etc. Under 42k without taxes. I emailed 5 dealers with what I wanted and the all had different prices. The one I went with was the highest to start with at MSRP, but negotiated down in the end to several thousand below invoice by putting them against each other. It took a while to negotiate and they finally said, "OK, What would it take for you to buy the car?" I told them and they agreed(with some huffing and puffing). I'm in Charlotte, NC.

5. Dealer told me you can put your name on the list to order a 2007 and when they can start placing orders for 2007 they will call you(end of Aug most likely they said). They don't have pricing/features/etc. yet to place your order. I orderd mine April 13, 2006.

Just called them a few days ago and they said my car is scheduled to be built on June 19(wonder why a 2 month gap between order and build date?). It will take 1 to 2 weeks to build and put on boat, then 28 days to get an ocean ride and arrive at dealer. Shipping to dealer from port was included in 28 days. They will install spoiler at the port(Jacksonville, FL) for my car. Once at dealer they will tint windows to my(and SC state) specs. I should have it first of August. If all goes well, that would be 3 1/2 months total time. I talked with person(lady) who places the orders(not the salesman) to get this information. She said it would be a 2006 model that is built, not a 2007, and all the options I ordered WOULD be on the car. I verified the options AGAIN also.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by brel523; 06-15-06 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-15-06, 01:53 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by brel523
This is my first post. So here goes...

4. I negotiated mine down to 42.2k out the door with tags, taxes, etc. Under 42k without taxes. I emailed 5 dealers with what I wanted and the all had different prices. The one I went with was the highest to start with at MSRP, but negotiated down in the end to several thousand below invoice by putting them against each other. It took a while to negotiate and they finally said, "OK, What would it take for you to buy the car?" I told them and they agreed(with some huffing and puffing). I'm in Charlotte, NC.
I assume you meant below MSRP and not invoice - if not can you give me the name of the dealer & salesman 'cause I'll order another one from them right now !!!
Old 06-15-06, 04:15 PM
S.F.IS350
Rookie

Default My Ordering Process

I Went Through About The Same Ordering Process
Took 3mnths And One Week To Get
It Was A Long Time To Wait But It Was Worth It
I Got A Desert Sage Metallic Is 350 W/ Spoiler Navi Z1 Tinted Windows
Got It For 900 Above Invoice Good Deal
Old 06-15-06, 05:02 PM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
I assume you meant below MSRP and not invoice - if not can you give me the name of the dealer & salesman 'cause I'll order another one from them right now !!!
Good catch there socalJD. It was below MSRP, not invoice. Sorry about that. It was the best deal I could get in NC/SC for that configuration during that time.
Old 06-15-06, 06:21 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you the wait for a special order will be painful. I've only been waiting 5wks now, ordered an IS350/Matador Red/sports package/black int. on 5/12/06. Surfing this forum builds the anticipation and pain. At least I will be getting exaclty what I want in 3 more months??

I was able to get 2,500 off MSRP and negotiate a fair trade value on a 98 Civic, factoring in 3K more miles in 3-4 months. I shopped around several places, and after many months of looking, I was getting frustrated with the lack of inventory and poor deals. Yet the instant I started the special order process at one of the dealers, {and made the other dealers aware of this}, they all started falling over themselves to get me to Special order from them.

Good luck in your search.
Old 06-15-06, 07:51 PM
knox_sport
Driver

I ordered a 250 manual tranny premium pkg with 18" alloys on 2/17. I was told it would take a month for them to find my car. I knew better, but let them go ahead.

I got a call on Tuesday the car may be here by this weekend. It took 4 months. I honestly don't know if it has everything I asked for, I was so stunned that they called I forgot to ask. I'd given up hope.

My dealer negotiated my trade up front. And while I was told verbally that the # would stick, the fine print on the contract says the trade can be reevaluated depending on the length of time to delivery. So I have the feeling that's what is going to happen. We negotiated no other numbers, but I doubt I'll get much movement off MSRP. After all, now that I've racked up more mileage on my car, they're going to try to make it up by not giving any on sticker.
Old 06-16-06, 10:44 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knox_sport
I ordered a 250 manual tranny premium pkg with 18" alloys on 2/17. I was told it would take a month for them to find my car. I knew better, but let them go ahead.

I got a call on Tuesday the car may be here by this weekend. It took 4 months. I honestly don't know if it has everything I asked for, I was so stunned that they called I forgot to ask. I'd given up hope.

My dealer negotiated my trade up front. And while I was told verbally that the # would stick, the fine print on the contract says the trade can be reevaluated depending on the length of time to delivery. So I have the feeling that's what is going to happen. We negotiated no other numbers, but I doubt I'll get much movement off MSRP. After all, now that I've racked up more mileage on my car, they're going to try to make it up by not giving any on sticker.
Don't go in with a defeated attitude. Did you give them a non-refundable deposit and how much ? No deal is done unless you have a specific VIN and signed a purchase agreement. If I were you, wait until the last day of this month to finalize the deal. I'm certain the dealer has monthly sales goals/quotas to meet so you have the best negotiating leverage at the end of a month, especially if it's the end of a quarter (typically June is the end of the 2nd qtr). Negotiate the new car price first, then move on to the trade-in. If you have a Car Max near you, they will give you a free appraisal on your car, get that so you have another option to negotiate with. Also, if you plan to finance, get preapproved by your bank/credit union and use that as a bargaining chip. If the dealer can meet or beat your rate, they will get fees if you finance with them, and it will help sweeten the trade-in value or lower the new car price. Also, after you negotiated the best selling price and value on the trade-in, you can always demand free accessories or maintenance - defers add'l cost to you and generally Sales staff are more willing to give away stuff that impacts other depts. Good luck.