IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Sound System Owners Post Your Setup!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 12:15 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats up man
i got a gs350 looking to put a nice custom sound system but trying to look for reviews about having a system on an 07 gs350 i dont want to go through the same problem i had on my 01 gs430 i had a system and not only a system a big problem too my batt will always get drained and it seemed like the cars charging system couldnt hold the system and i did everything possibly to help it and nothing did i want to be sure how does these new cars hold a system
iam basically looking to put 2 13" jl audios a nice amp and a very high capacitor what do u think
iam not looking foward for dimming lights and e.t.c write back thanks
Old 12-13-07, 03:35 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to whoever brought this thread back to life!

Now I have a few questions...

1. Our cars come with a 3 way component setup in the front doors from the factory and I see most of you are replacing them with a 2 way aftermarket components. What are you guys doing with the little tweeter on top of the door panel? Do aftermarket tweeters sound fine in the stock mid bass position or should I consider moving them higher?

2. I am going to attempt this install myself since money is a little tight. Where should I be tapping in for the LLC, at the factory amp or will the wires that hook up to the factory sub be fine? Also, can somebody recommend a good quality LLC?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 12-16-07, 12:23 AM
1022it
Pole Position

I never uploaded pics of the final product... here's my JL 10W3 in my fiberglass box; with a JL 500/1 amp mounted on the underside of the trunk lid (just to the right of the factory sub).

Old 12-16-07, 12:25 AM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

^ thats a perfect install imo, clean and subtle is the way to go
Old 12-16-07, 01:07 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

My eye candy.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthre...9&page=1&pp=10
Old 12-16-07, 06:20 AM
Temptation
Pole Position

josephdoc - that looks very tight! It reminds me one of Bing's installed projects, from Simplicity in Sound.
Old 12-16-07, 07:52 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

god damn.... that mustve taken for ever to do o.O
Old 12-16-07, 08:34 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Temptation
josephdoc - that looks very tight! It reminds me one of Bing's installed projects, from Simplicity in Sound.
that is one of bing's installs
Old 12-16-07, 08:35 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1022it
I never uploaded pics of the final product... here's my JL 10W3 in my fiberglass box; with a JL 500/1 amp mounted on the underside of the trunk lid (just to the right of the factory sub).
mounting an amp upside down is bad. something to do with heat.
Old 12-17-07, 10:41 AM
1022it
Pole Position

This amp is designed to handle heat 50% better than 'conventional' amps, plus it has a built-in thermal protection (where it actively varies output to control heat). You are correct, you shouldn't mount amps upside down, but in this case, i think it was worth the risk. I have had this thing cranked for the entire trip from LA to Phoenix in the middle of August (about 5 hours), without any issues.
Old 12-17-07, 07:30 PM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if this qualifies for this thread or not, but I put a Squeezebox in my IS-350. For those that aren't aware of Squeezebox, it's an audio device that hooks up to a computer lan and plays music from hard drives. The beauty of this is that I can play FLAC files which play back virtually identical to what is on a CD. Not only that, but sonically it is better than most home CD players.

Why go to all this bother when just about everybody in the world uses iPods? Well this sounds much better and has virtually unlimited storage capacity.

This device normally requires a router, but in reality I used a crossover cable and hooked it directly to a Samsung Q1 Ultra PC. Ultimately I'd love to have a large USB buss powered drive to eliminate the need to power the USB drive. Currently I have a 750g drive which requires power and a 160g buss drive.

For a long drive the 750g works fine but if you stop and start the car the drive obviously cycles. The USB drive keeps running as long as there is a battery on the pc. Squeezebox runs on 5volts DC and that's easy to derive.

I have the analog output of the Squeezebox going to the Aux input in the console box. My first test was a bit dissapointing, as I was comparing the same music on the Squeeebox to a CD in the dash unit. The dash unit sounded significantly better. Keep in mind I'm both an audiophile type and have been a professional audio engineer for decades so I'm guessing most people would notice little difference.

Btw, I have the hard drives and the Samsung niceley packed inside a camera backpack, and I can close it up and just have the ethernet and power cables coming out. It's a great little package that I just put on the back floor so the 750g drive is correctly oriented.

So this morning was my first long trip in the car with this system. I drove from OC to Yuma AZ. I must report that it was a 100% sucess. Despite my gripe of the Aux input not sounding as good as the dash player, it sounded great while driving. There was no noticeable noise and seemingly full bandwidth through that input.

What I noticed in my home testing was that the dash unit had more impact and better soundstage definition than anything I could get out of the aux input. As a result I figured I'd have to find a way to inject the SP/DIF signal from the Squeezebox into the ML system.

But I can surely live with what I had today. Yes it can get a bit better, but having the equivalent of over 3500 full CD's with me is just awesome and something I've dreamed of for years. Now it is a reality.

Now if I can just get SlimDevices to manufacture a mobile version of their home player. If nothing else, it would be mountable. My unit is just sitting on the front seat for now, but I did make a clean spiral wrapped harness for it.

But ultimately, I'll run it up to power that doesn't switch off with the ignition. Why the car makers can't put in an unswitched outlet is beyond me. Until I come up with one my cell phone will be dying. In my last car it was on pretty much all the time and I never had a run down batter.

Yes, they are likely worried about run down batteries, but that is easy to deal with. There could easily be a cut off when voltage drops below a set threshold.

Well once again, sorry if this is not considered an after market sound system.
Old 12-17-07, 07:30 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

^^^^ you have a sweet setup, no doubt about that
Old 12-18-07, 06:01 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

I'd love to see pics of all that stuff mounted up and what not.
Old 12-18-07, 08:57 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josephdoc

whoa...
sweeet...
Old 12-18-07, 09:07 AM
dra5037
Rookie

anybody got any suggestions...
im looking into upgrading, trunk space is critical.
need room for golf clubs, skis, guitar, etc.
i've seen a few pic in this thread where there is
just one sub set in a casing of to the side of the trunk,
looks very stock and has lots of space.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sound System Owners Post Your Setup!