IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LEXUS has BIG plans for little IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06 | 11:18 PM
lexusman1
Driver School Candidate

Post LEXUS has BIG plans for little IS

LEXUS has BIG plan for little IS

Lexus has only shown us faise 1 of they're big plans for the IS. It is said the lexus IS will become an head to head competitor with A4, 3series, C-class, of Germany. LEXUS is planning on expanding is sporty compact line from 5 door sport wagon to a 2 door coupe able to run neck and neck with the world reknown M3 bimmer. Yes that right lexus wants to attack the M3 street legal race car directly; and it want be long before it's in your garages. Here is the 411: lexus has a plan to release 4 new models in addition to the exsisting IS sedan. They will all be released in the next 4-5 years. all will be supposedly based on current IS platform.

B]The Models[/B] [/B]

[1. IS coupe : an sleek two door twin of the IS sedan it will carry same lights and chassis but with two doors only giving it the upper hand with less weight. can take on bmw3 coupe and anything else. It will use same trans and engines.
]2. IS500 (GT)[/ : will have same body as IScoupe but with a all new 5.0 liter V8 supercharged to get at least 450hp. will run neck'n'neck with M3,C55,S4 will be priced at 50grand.
[3. IS hardtop covertible[/Sleek body simular to the coupe but designed so that the roof can break up instantly and fold in to trunk with room for luggage and the ability to maybe squeeze 4 in the cabin. uses same engine/trans/as coupe and would compete with bmw3convertible CLK m-benz and A4convertible. prices in the mid 40s.
4. IS 5door sportourer: (back for the first time)built on sedan platform and would have all the goodies of the sedan all the way to the C-pillar, where it would than use a nicely styled wagon butt with pullup door.

Now lexus has'nt confirmed all of these models yet but I am expect each to arrive in the near future except for the 5 door wagon which may or may not come again. Give me any 411 on these up coming concepts/new ISs It would be great to have any one of these cars especially the droptop. they want to expand the IS line pass the single IS sedan so they can be more flexible and compete with Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi which all have cars in these forms already in the entry level segment. Obviously Lexus sees cash in the market for this segement and want to take part of the share before it's too late. Let me know of any ideas and info that you may have or know or even thought of on these new concepts.

Last edited by lexusman1; 06-15-06 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-16-06 | 12:03 AM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

is500's rumor is not true.. i've been told by the guys over at longo

coupe is true, don't knwo about the others
Old 06-16-06 | 04:57 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

the 500 is true. do not believe your dealers. they are there for one reason, to sell. lexus is making a push to make people forget about their lack of heritage and history and are going to try and pry their way into the lux market in europe and more in america w/ the 500 and lf-a
Old 06-16-06 | 05:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

It takes more than "engine" to compete directly with the 3 Series, and especially with the M3. Gotta do something about that suspension, lose some weight, and offer a better stick shift.
Old 06-16-06 | 05:30 AM
lexusman1
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

If lexus does decide to continue this expansion plan. Im sure the coupe would be much lighter than the sedan 2+2 seating. Lexuses new IS suspension is'nt all that bad. the thing lexus really need to adjust is those tiny safety computers(stability,traction,etc) that slows you down when you have to much fun on the curves
Old 06-16-06 | 05:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

nothing a little aftermarket can solve
Old 06-16-06 | 07:04 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

I agree that the suspension isn't bad... If Lexus can get the IS weight down to around the 3 series weight and reprogram the TCS OFF button to REALLY turn of TCS, it would be right on the bimmers tail in all handling aspects.
Old 06-16-06 | 07:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if a 4.6 liter can reach 380 hp (not even tuned for high revs), i doubt a 5.0 needs a supercharger to get to 450 hp
Old 06-16-06 | 07:15 AM
United #10
Pole Position

Great info. I wish Lexus will offer the transmission like Audi's DSG. Watch out Bimmer!!!
Old 06-16-06 | 07:29 AM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

I dont think the Lexus brand will ever be known as "drivers cars". They are comfortable, safe and reliable cars. The recent performance enhancements have gotten everyone excited about prospects, but the reality is Lexus is just trying to keep up with the competition's basic models. I don't think they will ever dare venture into the M or AMG world, so I'm really not holding out hope of seeing any high-performance Lexus (IS500) in the future.
Old 06-16-06 | 08:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default If all the sedans are new, they will all get "outdated" quickly...

Now that Lexus is offering a whole new lineup of sedans, we're going to see a lot more coupes and SUVs and crossovers coming out in the near future.

There is good proof of an upcoming coupe and hardtop convertible. There have been no leaks on design from reliable sources. This should also introduce a V8 option, as the coupe should be more driver enthusiastic (hopefully).

There is justification for a sportscross/tourer, but no leaks on plans or designs have been "spied."

If Lexus wants to keep the sedans fresh for the next five years (since all the sedans are new), they need to introduce new sedan products in the line: sportstourers, hybrids, more engine options, a sub-compact luxury car (like the Mini or 1-Series), etc. Hopefully, we get to see ALL the sedans evolve in the next few years.
Old 06-16-06 | 09:01 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

1. IS coupe : an sleek two door twin of the IS sedan it will carry same lights and chassis but with two doors only giving it the upper hand with less weight. can take on bmw3 coupe and anything else. It will use same trans and engines.

if these rumors are true, i assume no manual transmision?
Old 06-16-06 | 09:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
I agree that the suspension isn't bad... If Lexus can get the IS weight down to around the 3 series weight and reprogram the TCS OFF button to REALLY turn of TCS, it would be right on the bimmers tail in all handling aspects.
I'm going to have to disagree. Having driven a 330i for several years, the handling of the IS fails in comparison. They feel pretty similar in normal, unspirited dirving, but as soon as you start pushing the limits at all, the IS rolls over and plays dead. There is a LOT of body roll, and the suspension seems very easy to become unglued. The Bimmer only gets better as you approach those limits.

To be fair, though, the IS is a Lexus. To expect it to handle like a sporty or sports car without some choice aftermarket upgrades is unreasonable. The softer suspension will always prevail at Toyota.

Last edited by ff_; 06-16-06 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-16-06 | 09:23 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
is500's rumor is not true.. i've been told by the guys over at longo

coupe is true, don't knwo about the others
hahahah....why would you EVER believe people at a dealership?? they know nothing about release info.
Old 06-16-06 | 10:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by onihc
if these rumors are true, i assume no manual transmision?
There has been no confirmation on this. Lexus still has a mindset that an automatic is easier for 95% of the population, and if that adds to the comfort of the car, then it's more of a luxury thing than anything else.

I do hope that Lexus starts adding manuals to their lineup to give it an edge in the performance wars. With the LF-A/GT/3SC concepts and the rumored V8 IS, you'd think that Lexus is getting the hint...