IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Close Windows with Door Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06 | 07:38 AM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Default Close Windows with Door Lock?

Hello All -

New here, had my IS for about a week now. (2006 IS350 Black/Black, Premium Pkg +18's)

I think I've read just about every post in the IS forum. I've learned a lot, and have really liked seeing the mods some of you guys have done, great work.

I've tried searching both here and through the owner's manual, but can't find an answer - Is there a way to close the windows/moon roof using either the wireless remote or the button on the door handle that I use to lock the door as I walk away??

I know I can roll the windows down by holding the unlock button on the remote, but I'd love to be able to do the opposite when leaving. The owner’s manual refers to both "Linked Door Lock Operation" and "Wireless Remote Control Linked Operation" but I can't find anything specific.

Sorry if this has been discussed, I tried several searches with no luck.

Thanks!

- Kage
Old 06-16-06 | 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Sorry, but you have to close the windows and moonroof manually.
Old 06-16-06 | 09:14 AM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, just wanted to find out for sure.

So, any idea what the Power Windows "Linked Door Lock Operation" actually means? It's defaulted to "ON" according to the manual, but I don't know what it is.
Old 06-16-06 | 09:18 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

The Lexus lawyers are a mighty nervous bunch. They are probably afraid that you'll accidently choke your kid by closing the window from across the parking lot, and then sue them for all they're worth.
Old 06-16-06 | 09:23 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x_kage_x
Thanks, just wanted to find out for sure.

So, any idea what the Power Windows "Linked Door Lock Operation" actually means? It's defaulted to "ON" according to the manual, but I don't know what it is.
I just assumed it was talking about the function where you holded the lock/unlock button to open them, which you already know how to do. You can have it turned off, though, via Lexus Personalized Settings.
Old 06-16-06 | 09:30 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I've tried searching both here and through the owner's manual, but can't find an answer
I have to rant about this because I know why they do it (or don't let you do it).

It actually is in the manual. You can't do it. It is Lexus protecting themselves from frivilous lawsuits, which are rampant. You can do it with the key, which no one uses but you can't do it with a remote. It all stems from their risk management department. The Lexus attorneys know that there is some injury lawyer out there who will say that "My client should not have been allowed to close his windows when his child was sticking his head out of the car while walking away" rather than saying "my client is an idiot, who should not remotely close his windows without looking to see if his kid is in the way". They figure you are much less likely to pinch someone if you are closing it via the key because you would be looking towards the car. If you were pushing the buttom while walking away, and someone sticks their hand in, they could get piched, right?

It is the same injury attorneys who force you to hit "I agree" everytime you start the car to get the nav screen going. Because someone has to tell you to watch the road, right? How else can you figure that out if Lexus hadn't told you.

It is the same attorneys who believe that you have to be told that coffee can be hot. Hence, Lexus designs things assuming that you are dumb or dumber. And no one should blame Lexus. If you don't like what they do, write to your congressman and ask them for tort reform and put these injury lawyers out of business so that the concep t of common sense can return to this country.
Old 06-16-06 | 10:21 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Don't the windows have pinch sensors?
Old 06-16-06 | 11:06 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

Actually you can hold the button on the door or "lock" button on the remote key and windows will close. At least it's like that on european models.
Old 06-16-06 | 11:33 AM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Don't the windows have pinch sensors?
They do have pinch sensors...I was looking for section of the manual that talked about it, and then found out what the "Linked Door Lock Operation" was, so here's the page for everyone to see:

It appears to only be possible with the manual key...I guess the lawyers don't trust the "Jam Protection Function"

Thanks guys!

- Kage
Old 06-16-06 | 11:46 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

They do have pinch sensors...It appears to only be possible with the manual key...I guess the lawyers don't trust the "Jam Protection Function"
- Kage
You are exactly right. There is a pinch sensor. But because it can't be 100% failsafe, they also have all these warnings about why you should never ever try out the pinch sensor. The fact that Europeans can close their windows remotely and we can't is another indication of how sick our legal system has become. Pretty soon, we won't be able to drive unless we sign a 4 page disclaimer every time we get in the car. Why? Because an idiot who spills coffee on herself can claim she did not know the coffee was hot and the legal system awards her millions of dollars for being an idiot and blames the company for not telling her that the coffee could be hot

Last edited by Turkoman; 06-16-06 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-16-06 | 12:51 PM
LaRock
Rookie

Originally Posted by crzcrz
Actually you can hold the button on the door or "lock" button on the remote key and windows will close. At least it's like that on european models.
We don't get this in North America because some parent will leave their kid in the car and 'accidently' roll up all the windows and then blame it on lexus.

Want the American Dream - Just do something completely stupid, and then sue somebody because they should have prevented it in the first place.
Old 06-16-06 | 03:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I'm not so sure you know what you are talking about. Lawyers don't run Lexus operations. I'll explain later.....

So how do you know that the manufacturer of the navigation unit isn't requiring that the unit operate this way?

Last edited by kensteele; 06-16-06 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-16-06 | 06:09 PM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
I'm not so sure you know what you are talking about. Lawyers don't run Lexus operations. I'll explain later.....

So how do you know that the manufacturer of the navigation unit isn't requiring that the unit operate this way?
Of course I don't know what I'm talking about...that's why I came here looking for an answer. I didn't expect to spark a legal debate.

I can't speak for others, but my "lawyer" comments were in jest - didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here!
Old 06-16-06 | 06:31 PM
BN06
Rookie

Default Lawyers??

People bash "lawyers" until they need one. Just curious, if the lawyers are so afraid of the windows on the IS why are they not afraid of the heavy and powerful rear door on our RX350? It can be opened and closed via remote. Right next to my IS which is parked right here in the U.S. tonight.

I'm not so sure it's "lawyers" that are the issue.
Old 06-17-06 | 02:26 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

I've tried that pinch feature out... definitely still dangerous. I stuck a book between the window and it closed pretty hard then it went down. I'm sure if it was a kid's hand or arm, that would hurt like hell. But maybe it'll teach them to never do that again! hahah.

Quick Reply: Close Windows with Door Lock?