IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What kind of radar detector do you use in your IS? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 10:23 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rys
For all of the time in California, as many times as I've been pulled over for minor things (routine stops, etc), I have never received a ticket for my V1.

-Brian
what about from theieves? i think they wuold notice 2 suction cups up there
Old 06-21-06, 10:35 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imaputz
what about from theieves? i think they wuold notice 2 suction cups up there
If it bothers you that much, the unit has a quick-release tab that allows you to pull it down while leaving the suction cup clamp in place...also handy for transferring the V1 to another vehicle for a road trip (hardwire in primary car, cig lighter cord in 2ndary car). My V1 goes in my laptop bag on plane trips for use in rental cars.
Old 06-21-06, 10:55 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by conekiller
If it bothers you that much, the unit has a quick-release tab that allows you to pull it down while leaving the suction cup clamp in place...also handy for transferring the V1 to another vehicle for a road trip (hardwire in primary car, cig lighter cord in 2ndary car). My V1 goes in my laptop bag on plane trips for use in rental cars.
Same here. I usually quick remove the unit and stow it in the glove compartment. Although, depending on where I am, I also have the V1 hard carry case (and use it to transport it when I am flying, like conekiller).

I usually don't worry about the unit, I tend not to drive and park the IS in bad places. I have a Scion for that sort of stuff.

-Brian
Old 06-27-06, 09:17 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Anyone using the Valentine 1 "Concealed Display" with the Valentine 1? --> https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20110.htm

If so, has anyone hard-wired both devices into their IS? How?
Old 07-15-06, 08:50 PM
hawk
Driver

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Anyone using the Valentine 1 "Concealed Display" with the Valentine 1? --> https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20110.htm

If so, has anyone hard-wired both devices into their IS? How?
i've hardwired both into my 2nd gen GS.

to avoid cops or thieves from seeing the suction cups, my V1 attaches to the bottom of my rearview mirror using 3m duralock or locktite or something like that. even though there's no tint on the windshield it's still difficult to see. during hot weather i remove the V1 so the duralock doesn't peel or let the V1 lean down.

my concealed display is on the steering wheel column so that I can read signals without having to divert my eyes too far. i am accustomed to looking at gauges and quickly looking back at the road. this setup allows me to only have to look from widshield to gauge area instead of windshield, gauge area, and V1 display in the middle of the windshield.
Old 07-15-06, 08:54 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hawk

to avoid cops or thieves from seeing the suction cups, my V1 attaches to the bottom of my rearview mirror using 3m duralock or locktite or something like that. even though there's no tint on the windshield it's still difficult to see. during hot weather i remove the V1 so the duralock doesn't peel or let the V1 lean down.

my concealed display is on the steering wheel column so that I can read signals without having to divert my eyes too far. i am accustomed to looking at gauges and quickly looking back at the road. this setup allows me to only have to look from widshield to gauge area instead of windshield, gauge area, and V1 display in the middle of the windshield.
Interesting approach. Pics of setup?
Old 07-15-06, 09:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

apparently only in ohio will the police give you a speed ticket for attempting to speed if they see a radar detector in your car even though you weren't speeding. dozens of cops have seen might...they don't really care cause they see hundreds a day.

the only time it might come in handy is if a cop caught you speeding and he was going to give you a warning but after seeing your detector....
Old 07-15-06, 10:26 PM
hawk
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
apparently only in ohio will the police give you a speed ticket for attempting to speed if they see a radar detector in your car even though you weren't speeding. dozens of cops have seen might...they don't really care cause they see hundreds a day.

the only time it might come in handy is if a cop caught you speeding and he was going to give you a warning but after seeing your detector....

ken, i agree that it's entirely possible and likely that cops have seen the setup. however, perhaps if you saw it in person you'd understand why I think a cop, watching my car pass at 70, is not going to notice this. and the side windows are tinted quite heavily.

though i'm not doubting it, this is the first i've ever heard of about ohio cops giving tickets associated with radar detectors. though OH state troopers are some of the strictest state cops in the nation, i knew a few sheriff deputies while I lived in Oh for several years, and none ever mentioned that. I suspect that OH troopers are required to get a few reads when using the laser, because on a couple occassions, I've been lased, hit the brakes, and the cop holds the laser on me for several seconds. And OH troopers love that laser more than any other state through which i've traveled.

Now I'm in VA where the V1 is illegal. oye.... (and i don't use it when i'm here... i understand cops will just rip it out)

ryan, i'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.
Old 07-16-06, 06:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cops dont care about radar in texas
Old 07-16-06, 12:56 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ken, i agree that it's entirely possible and likely that cops have seen the setup. however, perhaps if you saw it in person you'd understand why I think a cop, watching my car pass at 70, is not going to notice this. and the side windows are tinted quite heavily.

though i'm not doubting it, this is the first i've ever heard of about ohio cops giving tickets associated with radar detectors. though OH state troopers are some of the strictest state cops in the nation, i knew a few sheriff deputies while I lived in Oh for several years, and none ever mentioned that. I suspect that OH troopers are required to get a few reads when using the laser, because on a couple occassions, I've been lased, hit the brakes, and the cop holds the laser on me for several seconds. And OH troopers love that laser more than any other state through which i've traveled.

Now I'm in VA where the V1 is illegal. oye.... (and i don't use it when i'm here... i understand cops will just rip it out)

ryan, i'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.
i was being sarcastic about ohio. in va, you would want to hide your detector from the police because it is illegal. in the rest of the 49 states, you're wasting your time hiding a radar detector from the police. they simply don't care.
Old 07-16-06, 03:03 PM
hawk
Driver

don't wanna hijack this thread, but for those interested in pics of my setup that i previously described, here's a link to a new thread i started in the GS 2nd gen forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227515
Old 07-16-06, 09:28 PM
The Chad
Driver

My current vehicle is a Honda S2000, I live in Northern Ohio and have had many run-ins with the State Police. Around here, the Staties are using laser a lot more often than they used to, and they are strict. If you're pulled over, you're getting a ticket. However, I have on more than one occassion passed them doing 5-10mph over the posted speed limit and sometimes they don't even laser me.

Under normal situations getting a ticket in Ohio I think is almost impossible if you have a radar detector (I have a V1, wouldn't use anything else, the extra sensitivity is excellent for the long, flat, farm country roads) and follow some common sense. If you speed, make sure you're with someone else, and look ahead for brake lights, because without fail people will hit their brakes when they see a cop, even if they are going the speed limit or slower.

I've never been cited for having a radar detector, they are legal in the state to possess and use, however I have friends who have been pulled over for "speeding" and only getting a warning because after they're pulled over (their radar detector didn't go off), they ask to see the speed reading and then the officer backpedals because he/she didn't actually get a reading, they just "assumed" they were speeding because of the vehicle they drive. I also had a friend told that "only street racers use radar detectors" after an officer pulled him over for speeding but actually didn't have a reading.

They're strict, and the license point system sucks, but they really aren't that bad and at least where I live I can get my speed kicks elsewhere. But even in Columbus, Cincinnati, or Cleveland I see more local law enforcement driving around with their radar K band always on. I can pick them out a mile away.

EDIT: BTW -- Be safe out there. Obey all traffic regulations.

Last edited by The Chad; 07-16-06 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 03:48 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Alright going to revive this thread...

Valentine One, Passport 9500i, or Bel STi?

Last edited by ByoungWoo; 10-09-07 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-09-07, 04:29 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ByoungWoo
Alright going to revive this thread...

Valentine One, Passport 9500i, or Bel STi?
V1, hardwired.

I have the concealed display but haven't used it yet cuz I can't figure out a good location for it.
Old 10-09-07, 06:08 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

People still buy radar detectors? I thought those went out with the 80s.

Quick Reply: What kind of radar detector do you use in your IS? (merged threads)