IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS best looking car on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-06, 10:00 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M45 with the sport package looks mean to me. I like it. But I still love my IS
Old 06-17-06, 10:51 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 2IS looks pretty good but I am liking E90 more and more and more...
Old 06-17-06, 12:02 PM
Smooth1
Rookie

I think the IS is very very nice looking, but if the BMW 3 series were as reliable as the Lexus I would definately look into purchasing something like this .
Attached Thumbnails IS best looking car on the road?-bmw_e90_gross.jpg  
Old 06-17-06, 02:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thread title didn't say best looking in it's class so I'm going to take it as it says. In that case, the IS is behind several cars. Not in order but better than 2IS:
CLS - it is the best looking car on the road imo. It has major visual presence.
Aston Martin Vanquish
MB CL
MB SL
Might as well stop, the list is too long.

I do agree the 2IS is the best looking sport compact sedan.
I also agree it's the best looking Lexus sedan. I wish it were just 2 inches bigger though.
Old 06-17-06, 04:04 PM
BN06
Rookie

O.K., to be more specific . . .

in its classIn Its Class . . . , I think the 2IS is the best looking car on the road. That is all. Geesh, you guys are plucking $70K and $200K cars out of the sky to compare against the 2IS. Any bmw with comparable equipment as an option 2IS will be about 10-15K more as well.
Old 06-17-06, 06:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BN06
O.K., to be more specific . . .

in its class.
In it's class, the IS does have the looks to be the best. It's not groundbreaking, but it is very sleek and sophisticated. I'm gonna give the exterior First Place (but tied), and interior Second Place.

The 3-Series is the IS's biggest contender. I actually like the new exterior of the 3 with its sharp edges; and would have to also give it a tie for First Place. But the interior is so cold and outdated that I'd give it Fourth Place. That damn iDrive would further let the interior of the 3-Series plummet to "My God, it is so ugly, who would buy this?" category.

The Audi A4 is tied for Third for the exterior; Third for interior. The car is curvateous and has a cleanliness to it that demands presence on the road. The front is sooo much more aggressive than the IS. The taillight design is young and hip, but that equals the IS's unique taillights as well.

The CTS is also a contender. I'd give a tie at Third Place for the exterior; First Place for interior. The only thing I don't like about its interior are the simple speedometer guages. It does not have the cool effects of the IS "light saber" activity, but the center column is sophisticated and clean.

So, the rankings:

EXTERIOR: IS and 3-Series tie for First; A4 and CTS tie for Third.
INTERIOR: CTS, then IS, then A4, then 3-Series.

Let the debates begin!!!
Old 06-17-06, 06:52 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
For a sedan, I agree it's the best looking in it's class right now. IMO it's probably the best looking sedan from Lexus to-date.
This is actually a statement that shows a modicum of reason, if you have bought into the L-finesse school of design. The operative words being "For a sedan"..."in it's(sp) class" and a final qulifier ""RIGHT NOW" .

I believe that it does represent the high point of L-finesse, thus far. Put another way: It ain't as ugly as the GS. My favorite Lexus designs are:

1. First generation GS sedan, go to the Italians if you want design.

2. First generation IS sportcross, it more or less solved the problems of the sedans rear end design, although the rear side windows weren't exactly a triumph.

I'm hoping that Lexus builds the wagon version of the IS, because the front of the car works quite well, IMO, and the truncated (pun there) boot and quasi-coupe roofline that aren't particularly pleasing to my eye will be lost in the translation..

The list of cars that are better looking that the ISX50 is too long to attempt. here, but it would be a long list. I'll hit the first few letters of the alphabet:

Acura RSX

Aston Martin basicly everything coming out of the factory

Audi A3,A4, A6, A8 and I don't like the "new nose" but it does't detroy the design

Bentley Continental (coupe and sedan)

BMW Z4 coupe (talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear (Z4 convert is a mess)), 6-coupe (except for the trunk)

I think you get the point because the C to Z candidate list is loaded also..

BTW, I'm glad that so many people are happy with the way the car looks and I hope the style holds up over the long term .

Last edited by CRB; 06-17-06 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-17-06, 07:21 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, stylewise, in it's class, I'd rather be driving one of these:

Alfa Romeo 159. But it's not sold in America. So I guess further specification is necessary: for it's class, in America, the IS is the best looking car.
Old 06-17-06, 08:07 PM
lscld
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BN06
In its class I think the IS is the best looking car on the road. That is all.
I do have to agree with you that the IS is the best looking car in its class. I fell in love with the car the first time I saw it, and every other picture I saw of it after that I liked it more and more.
Though there is another car that I must say looks very good for a sub-$35k car. I guess I'll add this one to the mix, the G35 coupe with the spoiler. Very nice looking car IMO.
Old 06-17-06, 09:15 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Totally the best in class exterior IMHO. The new BMW 3 with sport package would be second in my book. I think there are many cars of LOWER class that look better than both the A4 and G35. I'd rather have a Mazda 3 or 6, for example. The A4's 18-wheeler grille was a deal-breaker for me (well, on the S4), although I did love the alcantara Recaro's inside... And I couldn't get over the G35 sedan's headlights.
Old 06-17-06, 11:56 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Best looking car in its class?? Ummmm I'll have to say no. There are a few I actually like better but thats just personal opinion. But hey I still bought one! Overall with everything combined I guess it was the car to buy for me at the moment.
Old 06-18-06, 07:31 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone know what wheels those are on that E90?

Sorry to hijack the thread.