IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

step 2: Always know your 2IS is located nearby

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-06, 11:38 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default step 2: Always know your 2IS is located nearby

Recently I picked up a Loc8tor devices and I've had the opportunity to test it with my car. The way the device operates is it allows you to attach a miniature tag on an item (or in your car) and the tag will transmit a signal back to the tracker. As long as the tracker can hear the tag, the tracker will remain silent. Once the tracker can no longer hear the tag, the tracker will alert you that the tag has left the area.

So I placed a tag inside my car and while my car is parked in the garage, the tracker is in my bedroom. I tested this and once the car backs out of the garage, the tracker goes off. The range is pretty good to excellent (you can adjust it anywhere from long to medium to short). So far I only turn on the tracker in this mode at night after hours.

Have you ever awaken only to find your car is missing (from the driveway)? Have you ever parked at an out-of-town hotel and couldn't see your car outside the hotel window? This product is perfect for helping you with the second step which is "always know your 2IS is located nearby."

Will it prevent theft? No it will not. But it will give you time to take action, my plan would be to investigate (in case of false alarm), and then if my car went missing, call police. Used in conjunction with step 1 I have a pretty good chance of recovering my stolen vehicle in one piece. Still not foolproof (...more steps to come) but at least it helps, the more information the better.

I believe in parking your car in safe places, stay away from high crime areas, park in well-lit areas that are highly visible, properly label your car securely, use your alarm, install or use active and/or passive theft-prevention devices, have good insurance and keep it current....these are the best ways to protect yourself and your assets.

The Loc8tor will also locate a tag within range, I also place a tag on my Lexus key (in the pouch). If your expensive key is misplaced, this device can track it down. So far it is working ok but I still have more testing to do in this area. Of course you can use the device the other way which is if you and your key are separated, you'll get the alert. The tracker is not very big but it's not likely that you'll carry it around with you on your person very often. This post is not an endoursement of the product. So far it's working out for me, but I can find other applications for this device especially when traveling. When you get on an airplane and you have to put your bag in the overhead far away from where you sit. When there are a ton of bags coming thru at baggage claim. When you want to sleep in the airport and wake up with your bags still there. If you leave the tracker in your car and you bring along one of the spare tags, you'll probably never leave anything behind (at a restuarant) ever again. So YMMV, I have yet to try all this out but the device appears to be pretty accurate and fairly robust. Time will tell.
Old 06-17-06, 11:48 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the range on this?
Old 06-17-06, 01:43 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what bout lojack?
can this be attached to a squirrel in my neighbourhood?!?
Old 06-17-06, 03:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uschardcor
what is the range on this?
The materials claim the range is up to 600 feet clear line of sight. I haven't tested it that far yet but I'll try something like that using the parking lot.