First Detail on the 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 12:35 PM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Detail on the 350

Hello All -

If anyone's interested, I posted some pics in the photo gallery showing the results of my first detail using the Zaino Kit:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0/ppuser/52968

(I hope that works, I didn't take the time to upload them to an image host)

I started with the Dawn wash, and had planned to Clay Bar, but the paint felt smoother than I did this morning, so I elected to skip that step.

I followed up the wash with Z-5 Polish mixed with the ZFX Accelerator, using the included applicator. After letting it dry and removing it with a microfiber towel, I applied the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. Repeated Twice.

Three coats later, I was happy with the results, although I wouldn't recommend doing this in the Texas Summer heat like I did today.

Let me know if the pics don't work...I'll try to post some more when I get the tint next weekend.

- Kage
Old 06-18-06, 12:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Linking some of the pics here, looks great!

Old 06-18-06, 12:55 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh yeah! looks good!
Old 06-18-06, 12:57 PM
Aclarke
Driver

How old is your car? Also did you apply all of this by hand?

Lastly, were you able to remove swirls?
Old 06-18-06, 12:59 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Beautiful.......your hard work paid off
Old 06-18-06, 01:01 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! Good job!
Old 06-18-06, 01:01 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

You should have clayed bar half a panel and did a before and after because there is smooth and there is post-clay-bar smoooo-oooooth. It looks good though.
Old 06-18-06, 01:18 PM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aclarke
How old is your car? Also did you apply all of this by hand?

Lastly, were you able to remove swirls?
The car's a week old, picked it up last Saturday. I did it all by hand - like I said, not fun in the heat, but I made it.

Luckily, I didn't notice many swirls, so I didn't really try to remove any. I think the Clay Bar step would be required to do that - Zaino's instructions say the polish doesn't contain any abrasives, so they say to make sure and remove any swirls, water spots, etc before applying.
Old 06-18-06, 11:13 PM
slver250
Driver School Candidate

The zaino said you can also use the Z2. Has anyone tried it and how does it compare with Z5. According to Zaino its interchangable, which seems a bit strange because there is no point in having 2 of the same thing.
Old 06-18-06, 11:38 PM
emissivity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should try the Zaino Z-6 quick detail spray to wipe off finger prints and dust in few days of the polish. It leaves a slick finish and smells great (almost like chemically enhanced grape soda). When my Z-6 runs out I'm going to try the Z-8 finale spray.

Excellent job on the detail and pics!
Old 06-19-06, 05:23 AM
PW007
Rookie

I zainoed my car about a week ago. I bought the starter kit. I washed with Dawn first and let the car dry completely for 4 hrs. I then used Z-5 w/ZFX twice with the Z-6 in between. I then used the Z-2 w/ZFX (two coats) with the Z-6 in between and at the end. It took me 5 1/2 hrs. to do the car, not including the washing, but in the end the car looked really good. I did not have any swirls or anything. My car was a 1 month old when I zainoed it. I was told to give the paint on the car some time to cure properly from the factory (not sure if this is needed though). From what I have read, you should finish your zaino treatment with a coat of Z-2 because it has higher optical properties than the Z-5. Now that my first treatment is done, I am only planning on doing one coat of Z-5 w/ZFX and then one coat of Z-2 w/ZFX every 6 months. I don't think I would have used zaino if I had to do the 5 1/2 hrs. each time, not to mention how sore I was the next day...hahaha....
Old 06-19-06, 10:14 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

glad to see you are happy with the Zaino products. . . i think that is another product i will be ordering soon as well
Old 06-20-06, 04:28 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by x_kage_x
Hello All -

If anyone's interested, I posted some pics in the photo gallery showing the results of my first detail using the Zaino Kit:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...0/ppuser/52968

(I hope that works, I didn't take the time to upload them to an image host)

I started with the Dawn wash, and had planned to Clay Bar, but the paint felt smoother than I did this morning, so I elected to skip that step.

I followed up the wash with Z-5 Polish mixed with the ZFX Accelerator, using the included applicator. After letting it dry and removing it with a microfiber towel, I applied the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. Repeated Twice.

Three coats later, I was happy with the results, although I wouldn't recommend doing this in the Texas Summer heat like I did today.

Let me know if the pics don't work...I'll try to post some more when I get the tint next weekend.

- Kage
It definitely looks awesome. I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm mostly concerned about how much time it will take and how often I would have to do it. 5 hours is way too long for me to spend washing my car, especially if it has to be done every month or even every 6 months. That's the reason I've been looking for some kind of teflon seal, but can't find anything in Socal.

So how long does this last?
Old 06-20-06, 05:48 PM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
It definitely looks awesome. I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm mostly concerned about how much time it will take and how often I would have to do it. 5 hours is way too long for me to spend washing my car, especially if it has to be done every month or even every 6 months. That's the reason I've been looking for some kind of teflon seal, but can't find anything in Socal.

So how long does this last?
I'm not sure how long it will last, as it's the first time I've used it. I think I read somewhere that you can get away with 6 months or so, but I may be confusing that with some other product.

Four hours or so is about what it took me to wash and apply three coats. Had I decided to clay bar, that would have probably added another couple of hours. I don't work for Zaino, but I think their slogan is something like "show car finish in a day." I don't think they're marketing the stuff as a "quick shine" product like you'd find in stock at the auto parts store.

I encourage anyone with questions to check out their website, there's alot of info out there. I'm definitely not an expert, I just bought the kit last week and used it once.
Old 06-20-06, 07:17 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x_kage_x is that a 3 point line reflected on your drivers side door???? Go HEAT. Anything to see Mark Cuban cry.

Quick Reply: First Detail on the 350