IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenondepot HID issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 03:01 PM
kramo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenondepot HID issue?

I just recently installed the Xenondepot 600K HID conversion kit on my car and I think they look great!

A quick question though ... anyone else notice that when driving over a moderately bumpy surface the lights seem to be a little bouncy? I've been trying to figure out if its just one side or both (thinking that maybe I didn't seat one of the bulbs properly) but I can't really tell. Anyone else notice this or should I be rechecking the seating?

Also, anyone know how to tell when the light cut-off is at the right height? (eg. from x distance to a wall the cut off should be x height from the ground...)
Old 06-18-06, 04:04 PM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

Same difference for me. I guess you just notice it more rather than the halogens because there is more light output and I wouldn't worry about it. Cut off should be the same and like I said, since there is more light output, you might not be used to it.

-Mike
Old 06-18-06, 07:29 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Post some pictures of your cuttoff lines, and i'll post mine so we can compare. OK?
Old 06-19-06, 08:13 AM
kramo
Rookie

I'll try to get pictures up as soon as I can...
Old 06-19-06, 08:33 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

When you say bouncy do you mean that you think that the bulb is shaking?
When driving over a bump you will notice the beam pattern as the IS has a very sharp cutoff. Its possible that you just never noticed this before as you were not putting out as much light.

Steve
Old 06-20-06, 09:02 AM
kramo
Rookie

No, it's not the beam pattern. It's almost as if the bulb or the whole housing is jittery -- like its not secured properly -- kinda like when you see the lights of one of those 16 wheelers going over a bumpy surface.

I'm gonna check the bulb seating tonight, cause I think its only on the driver's side.
Old 06-22-06, 07:08 AM
kramo
Rookie

Default strange behaviour from the HID system

Ok, so I checked the driver's side bulb and if it wasn't seated properly before, it must be now.

Had the weirdest thing happen after closing everything up though ... I turned on the lights to make sure everything was working fine (which it was) but when I turned them off, the passenger side ballast was still making a slight whining sound. A few seconds later, the passenger side bulb starts flickering on and off like a strobe light!! WTF -- the car and lights were completely off too!!

I turned the lights on and off a few times and the problem continued -- then all of a sudden it stopped.

Anyone ever have this happen? What the happened there?

Last edited by kramo; 06-22-06 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-22-06, 08:04 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kramo
Ok, so I checked the driver's side bulb and if it wasn't seated properly before, it must be now.

Had the weirdest thing happen after closing everything up though ... I turned on the lights to make sure everything was working fine (which it was) but when I turned them off, the passenger side ballast was still making a slight whining sound. A few seconds later, the passenger side bulb starts flickering on and off like a strobe light!! WTF -- the car and lights were completely off too!!

I turned the lights on and off a few times and the problem continued -- then all of a sudden it stopped.

Anyone ever have this happen? What the happened there?
Just as advice you never turn on the hid and shut it off after few second. if anything leave it on for atleast a minute and then shut it off.

driver side is really a tight spot to put the bulb in.

goodluck
Old 06-22-06, 08:51 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Check your electrical connections, you could be shorting somewhere.
Old 06-22-06, 08:58 AM
kramo
Rookie

Actually I left them on for maybe 30 seconds before turning them off -- the first time. When I saw the light start to flicker, I turned them on and left them on for atleast a minute before turning them off. I even turned the car on and let it run for a couple of minutes.

I don't think I'm shorting anywhere cause I was really careful in positioning the wires when I installed the kit (which was done a couple of weeks ago).

Anyway (correct me if I'm wrong) but if it was a short, should the bulb be flickering when the lights are turned ON? The bulb flickered when both the lights and the car were turned OFF!!
Old 06-22-06, 10:01 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kramo
Actually I left them on for maybe 30 seconds before turning them off -- the first time. When I saw the light start to flicker, I turned them on and left them on for atleast a minute before turning them off. I even turned the car on and let it run for a couple of minutes.

I don't think I'm shorting anywhere cause I was really careful in positioning the wires when I installed the kit (which was done a couple of weeks ago).

Anyway (correct me if I'm wrong) but if it was a short, should the bulb be flickering when the lights are turned ON? The bulb flickered when both the lights and the car were turned OFF!!
I believe now that your problem is the voltage current that's going to the ballast. There is not enough juice at times. you may have to upgrade your fuse or to wiring harness.

I had the exact same problem when i was workng with E46 Ballast (previous car) it would not let me connect straight through stock wiring instead had to run a wiring harness that connect from the battery.

goodluck
Old 06-22-06, 11:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello,

1) I would recheck all your connections.
2) Please check to see if there are any signs of water damage on the relay.

Steve
Old 06-22-06, 12:18 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

The XD kit attaches to the battery teminal directly, so if shorted or a bad relay, it could come on when the car ignition is off.
Old 06-22-06, 04:11 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C280to250
Just as advice you never turn on the hid and shut it off after few second. if anything leave it on for atleast a minute and then shut it off.

driver side is really a tight spot to put the bulb in.

goodluck

So is it a bad idea to leave the headlight setting in "auto" with HID's? I know when I drive into a parking garage the lights don't come on till I'm almost parked and then I shut the car down after the lights go on for a few seconds. Would this be bad?
Old 06-22-06, 04:34 PM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ba-b4
So is it a bad idea to leave the headlight setting in "auto" with HID's? I know when I drive into a parking garage the lights don't come on till I'm almost parked and then I shut the car down after the lights go on for a few seconds. Would this be bad?

Yup. it will definately shorten the life of either the ballast or bulb. If we are talking about a kit!
if you're refferring to stock HID from factory maybe its different.

Quick Reply: Xenondepot HID issue?