IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AT Down Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 12:03 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, I've been downshifting to slow down for as long as I can remember, as have my dad and my older brother, and none of our cars have shown any wear or tear, so I'll keep downshifting.
Old 06-20-06, 12:06 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez how long do you guys plan on keeping these cars?? I downshift on all my cars, AT or MT, just to keep myself from having to clean the front rims every other day
Old 06-20-06, 12:18 AM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Higher revs = more friction. More friction = more wear and tear... You don't need "proof" that is the way things work, simple physics. When you're moving there is energy, when you're slowing down you're transforming that forward motion energy into heat. The wear you save on your brakes by downshifting doens't just disappear, part of it is now being transferred to the transmission/engine. The proof is in the laws of physics.

Weather the additonal wear is of significance or is neglagable is another matter. There are too many variables to give an accurate answer, such as how often you do it, how fast you're going when you do it and how many gears you downshift.
I agree with this assessment--it's simple physics.

However...

I've owned a manual for the past 10 years and downshifting is actually recommended to save the brakes and increase the life of the engine (vs. just letting the engine idle to neutral or almost stall in a high gear).

The thing is that, even though physics are involved, engines nowadays (and especially Honda and Toyota engines) are quite near bullet-proof and you can redline the car all day and it will still probably last past 200K miles. I am reminded of a story I heard about Honda engine testing ..I'm not sure how true it is, but I heard that the engineers stress test the engine in R&D by running it at redline for 48 hours straight...and it still works! Again, it's a "believe it or not" story, but after having owned two Acura's, I'm inclined to agree...those engines are bullet-proof!

The brakes however, will wear down much faster than the engine (though brakes are cheaper), so if you want to "save" your brakes a little, then downshifting can help.

My $.02.
Old 06-20-06, 05:16 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Only on a Lexus forum

When was the last time any of you blew a motor in a car with less than 150k miles on it? When was the last time any of you even kept a car long enough to put that many miles on it?

Exactly.
Old 06-20-06, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

depends how many gears you downshift by, having a 6 speed tranny the gears are close so the revs wont increase that much vs a 5 speed.

Most automatics wont even let you downshift at will without stomping the gas (a nono if you want to brake at this time) so its obvious theres going to be little to no proof for either case. Heck most car drivers wouldnt even know downshifting lets you slow down faster
Old 06-20-06, 06:17 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both the engine and tranny are designed to accomodate downshifting just fine. Figure, that when your car is in power mode, it will be downshifting on its own to prepare you for more responsive and quicker acceleration. The tranny won't see the difference, so long as its healthy, and gets its fluid changed on a regular basis. The engine will see a jump in torque/rpm...but if its broken in properly and warm, also in good condition, it will be fine. It would be pretty sad if the brakes stood up to more abuse than the more vital portions of the car, which are usually engineered for tolerance/mistakes. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't be allowed to downshift, just as a rev-limiter is put in place to prevent an over-rev situation.

The only time I'd really disagree with it, is if one is downshifting to avoid using the brakes. Thats differen't, as brakes are there for a purpose. Otherwise, have at it...and if all else fails, then make use of the warranty.
Old 06-20-06, 06:56 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
The tranny won't see the difference, so long as its healthy, and gets its fluid changed on a regular basis.
The auto trans in the IS doesn't get any scheduled fluid change. It's a sealed unit.
Old 06-20-06, 07:15 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyfarm
The auto trans in the IS doesn't get any scheduled fluid change. It's a sealed unit.
Ahh, no surprise. BMW and some other makes have a similar setup on their auto vehicles. It can be changed, but I suppose it would depend on the individual. I haven't seen anything negative arise from not changing it, but then most of that is probably from normal commuting. I personally don't agree with lifetime ATF's, or most intervals for fluid changes for that matter, but to each his own.
Old 06-20-06, 08:49 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
To those who have AT, do you downshift to slow down? Is there long term negative effect to the engine if you do this frequently?

I find I do this more frequently in my IS than my other cars. When I get off the freeway or when the car in front of me is getting close, I downshift as long as I know the engine won't rev too high.
I assume you are referring using engine braking to slow the car down--that is unnecessary unless you are going on an extended downhill. In normal driving, the car automatically downshifts as the car slows down (put the display on gear level and you will see), even without braking.