IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Funny thing just happened to me...My IS 350 chirps 2nd gear!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 10:00 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny thing just happened to me...My IS 350 chirps 2nd gear!!!

So I am on the way to work and I am sitting at a red light. The light turns green and I floor it, in first gear it spins the tires with a little 2 second chirp of the tires, then the car shifts to second and it chirps 2nd. I was like "WTF, that was cool, its never done that before." So I try it again thinking maybe there was some dirt or loose gravel one the road that made my tires spin, but sure enough it does it again.

The reason I think this is funny is obviously all IS 350's are automatics, and I have never seen an automatic do that. I just installed the Joe Z intake and HKS air filter, but I doubt that made that much power to make it chirp second. It doesnt "feel" faster and I never chirped second gear before in the 4 months and many many off the line WOT that I've done. Also for you guys thinking my tires were cold, I was already into my drive 20 -25 minutes. Oh well maybe that intake/air filter combo really did do something. to Joe Z / HKS. LOL
Old 06-20-06, 10:29 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's most likely the continuing break-in of the engine. Dyno a 'green' engine and then dyno it again after several thousand miles. You'll see a gain most of the time.

On a similar note, I punched it on a highway on-ramp this past weekend and I felt the rear wheels break loose at around 5-6K rpm in first gear. It didn't chirp into 2nd though. Can't wait til I get a few more K on the odometer.
Old 06-20-06, 10:44 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

BTW i did have the TRAC/VSC/VDIM OFF

My car has almost 6000 miles on it.
Old 06-20-06, 10:45 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

I've gotten my maxima to chirp 2nd gear before albiet i have some crappy tires on there and the valvebody on the tranny is modded.

i havne't heard my is350 chirp 2nd yet though, maybe i'll try it out this weekend. hehe
Old 06-20-06, 10:55 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowssm
BTW i did have the TRAC/VSC/VDIM OFF

My car has almost 6000 miles on it.
Hey what happened to that LMS exhaust, did it arrive yet???
Old 06-20-06, 11:01 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I am still waiting for it. Steve at LMS said he just needs to find a box big enough to put it in so he can ship it. Also for the people that are looking to get the LMS exhaust, he said that they re-did the exhaust to make the fitment better. THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!!!
Old 06-20-06, 12:17 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I am still waiting for it. Steve at LMS said he just needs to find a box big enough to put it in so he can ship it. Also for the people that are looking to get the LMS exhaust, he said that they re-did the exhaust to make the fitment better. THE WAIT IS KILLING ME!!!
Whattt?!? They took the time to redo the exhausts meanwhile they can't find a cardboard
box to put it in?! Hilarous
Old 06-20-06, 12:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

You are getting a second gear chirp in the hot Nevada area with 275 width tires!? Maybe your car is just shifting quicker or harder...maybe the Toyo tires and the low profiles causing it? I really can't imagine 5-7 more hp causing the car to chirp between 1st and 2nd.
Old 06-20-06, 12:37 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
You are getting a second gear chirp in the hot Nevada area with 275 width tires!? Maybe your car is just shifting quicker or harder...maybe the Toyo tires and the low profiles causing it? I really can't imagine 5-7 more hp causing the car to chirp between 1st and 2nd.
I know thats what I was thinking, but the Toyos have more grip than the stock dunlops. All I know is that I like it. I'll try and get a vid of the chirp and definitely one with the exhaust.
Old 06-20-06, 01:02 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I installed a shift kit in my (now sold) 98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (4 speed auto). With the kit at its firmest setting, I could chirp every gear. A bit too much for a daily driver so I brought it down. My buddy with the same kind of car left his at the firmest setting. It wasn't long before he snapped the input shaft on the tranny.
Old 06-20-06, 01:04 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

You are getting an LMS catback? I didn't know they had just a cat back unless you considering it a cat back as the 2nd set of cats will be gone and left with just the first set of cats.
Old 06-20-06, 01:05 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ramon
I installed a shift kit in my 98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (4 speed auto). With the kit at its firmest setting, I could chirp every gear. A bit too much for a daily driver so I brought it down. My buddy with the same kind of car left his at the firmest setting. It wasn't long before he snapped the input shaft on the tranny.
Yeah the trannies on those cars are def the weakest spot. the 3800 is pretty strong for the tranny, esp with a smaller pulley, intake, exhaust and cams.
Old 06-20-06, 01:15 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

You are getting an LMS catback? I didn't know they had just a cat back unless you considering it a cat back as the 2nd set of cats will be gone and left with just the first set of cats.
LMS calls it a catback and it is cat back from the pictures so I guess it is a catback.
Old 06-20-06, 01:43 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yeah the trannies on those cars are def the weakest spot. the 3800 is pretty strong for the tranny, esp with a smaller pulley, intake, exhaust and cams.
Yes indeed... It was on it's 3rd transmission when I sold it.
Old 06-20-06, 01:50 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

And if you put on the compact spare, you will be able to smoke the tires thru the 1st 3 gears . . . (that would look good on video)

Quick Reply: Funny thing just happened to me...My IS 350 chirps 2nd gear!!!