IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bumper Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 10:14 AM
VB250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bumper Sensors

i went to the dealer to see if i could upgrade my car to have the bumper sensors installed for the backup, and they looked at me like i had 2 heads. they just said thats a good question. the reason that i want it cause my wife just backed into another car and smashed one of the rear reflectors (58 bucks from the dealer BTW) i was wondering if anyone else has wanted to add this feature and if they have please tell me how to go about doing it.
Old 06-21-06, 10:17 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

well i havent done it.. but when i went to buy my car, they told me if i wanted the sensors installed.. i could just come back anytime and they would do it for me.
Old 06-21-06, 10:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Park Assist?

The backup sensors, or Park Assist feature, is a factory installed option. If you do not have Park Assist, and want to add it to the car, it would take a lot of time and $$ to not only install the sensors, but to integrate it into the car's system, with or without Nav.

If you want a park assist feature added to a car, it may be better to get an aftermarket system that uses sensors that emit a audio warning. This may be a cheaper and easier method, but not as clean looking as the factory installed Park Assist.
Old 06-21-06, 11:01 AM
rys
Pole Position

My installer said that he already did a car with the aftermarket audio tone backup system. He says that you can actually place the sensors behind the pop out covers for the tow hooks.

I haven't put anything on my car yet since I already have the NAV backup camera.

If you get the sensors added, let us know how it works out, I am curious as to how much it costs and what is involved. Try to get them to provide you with a parts list breakdown as well, it will help a lot of us on here.

-Brian
Old 06-21-06, 11:20 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The backup sensors, or Park Assist feature, is a factory installed option. If you do not have Park Assist, and want to add it to the car, it would take a lot of time and $$ to not only install the sensors, but to integrate it into the car's system, with or without Nav.

If you want a park assist feature added to a car, it may be better to get an aftermarket system that uses sensors that emit a audio warning. This may be a cheaper and easier method, but not as clean looking as the factory installed Park Assist.

That is probably the best and most cost effective option. He could also tell his wife to be a little more careful next time

It happens
Old 06-21-06, 11:48 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i wouldnt think it would cost a huge sum of money as all they do is put sensors in here.

Old 06-21-06, 01:48 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

It seems I have to post this everytime this topic comes up. But actually I'm not going to this time, I'll leave it as a search exercise for those interested. Lexus does have a dealer installed Rear Obstacle Sensing System that can be installed after the fact, without drilling any holes.
Old 06-21-06, 03:21 PM
VB250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
It seems I have to post this everytime this topic comes up. But actually I'm not going to this time, I'll leave it as a search exercise for those interested. Lexus does have a dealer installed Rear Obstacle Sensing System that can be installed after the fact, without drilling any holes.
i will scan some of the older posts. thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-21-06, 04:02 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

It's my opinion that paying $500 for this feature isn't wise. You said that you want to retrofit this factory option, which will probably will cost a lot more. How much did the accident cost? 58 bucks? When are you going to get in a $500 accident while parking? Have you seen cars with park assist? Don't want to offend anyone here but it's the ugliest thing you can do to this beautiful car. I would rather drive around with a big dent in my bumper than have those painted quarters glued to it. In my opinion, the park assist does more to ruin the aesthetics of this car than does an accident that will be fixed, not to mention the cost it would incurr if you get in a real accident with these things on. Could you imagine what the dealer is charging to replace this system?
two cents
Old 06-21-06, 07:08 PM
rys
Pole Position

On my last car I actually backed into a hand railing (which was attached to cement with threaded studs). The threaded studs actually punctured the bumper. That's $500 worth of damage right there (new bumper + paint).

-Brian
Old 06-21-06, 07:20 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
It's my opinion that paying $500 for this feature isn't wise. You said that you want to retrofit this factory option, which will probably will cost a lot more. How much did the accident cost? 58 bucks? When are you going to get in a $500 accident while parking? Have you seen cars with park assist? Don't want to offend anyone here but it's the ugliest thing you can do to this beautiful car. I would rather drive around with a big dent in my bumper than have those painted quarters glued to it. In my opinion, the park assist does more to ruin the aesthetics of this car than does an accident that will be fixed, not to mention the cost it would incurr if you get in a real accident with these things on. Could you imagine what the dealer is charging to replace this system?
two cents
If you get into a real accident that requires replacement of the rear bumper/park sensors, chances are high that it's someone else's insurance paying for it, not your own
Old 06-21-06, 08:47 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

I see so many brand new expensive cars with ugly dents and gashes in the rear bumper that are clearly the result of backing into poles and such, clearly getting the backup sensors sounds like a real good idea. Just because you got off with a mere $58 tab this time doesn't mean the next incident will not require paint or bodywork and expensive parts. If you are comfortable using your insurance or living with the dings then don't worry about sensors.
Old 06-22-06, 06:32 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

There is also a safety advantage to having the system. It's possible that the park assist sensors could alert you to the presence of a dog or small child in the blind spot in front or behind the vehicle.
Old 06-22-06, 06:43 AM
VB250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
two cents
the part and the small amount of labor it took for me to put it in was minimal. the good thing is that she was going slow it ws raining and the bumper is soft (bottom half flexes alot) i dont want any thing that doesn't look good on the car. maybe im being way to worried about her doing it again.
Old 06-22-06, 12:53 PM
frylai
Driver

I had aftermarket ones install on my 2IS, and they were crap, very misleading and dosent help at all. I had a minor accident 2 weeks ago and replaced my factory bumper so I can get rid of my sensors, just don't paralell park they look ugly anyways!

Matt

Quick Reply: Bumper Sensors