IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sun visors can not be extended out

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 11:09 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoTL
This is the one major deficiency in the IS's design, this and the rear leg room.
So which one is the ONE major deficiency? Okay, before anyone else does it, I'll do it to myself...

Anyway, back on topic - I too am quite disappointed that the sun visors don't extend out - even my father's Kia Rio does this - not a big deal, but I find it extremely useful. Oh well...

Javier
Old 10-17-06, 02:20 PM
SILes300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the one major deficiency in the IS's design, this and the rear leg room. Other than these two items, I think the car is about perfect. I'd rather have those two deficiencies than others I can think of. I bet they'll add the extending sun visors the year after I buy the IS.
Don't forget to add the NON folding rear seats
Old 10-17-06, 02:39 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

It may be due to the fact that the visors are what lexus deems as "the first car to have a Sound-Absorbing Sun Visor" Adding an extension may have eliminated this, hence the reason they didn't add one.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/interior.html

By the way, check out the newly redesigned Lexus website. Kinda slick
Old 10-17-06, 02:59 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SILes300
Don't forget to add the NON folding rear seats
Oops how could I forget that one.
Old 10-17-06, 02:59 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's hard to imagine that they couldn't figure out a way to do the extenders with the sound deadening material.
Old 10-17-06, 03:18 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

It's hard to imagine that they couldn't figure out a way to do the extenders with the sound deadening material.
I agree, but who knows?
Old 10-17-06, 03:51 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

On my 4Runner not only does the visor extend, but there is also a second visor under the top visor that you can drop down after you swing the main visor over to the side window. This way you don't have to swing the visor back and forth!

Koz
Old 10-17-06, 03:55 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

The sound deadning crap is for advertisement purpose only IMO. Maybe Lexus forgot? I guess you could just get really dark tint job...
Old 10-18-06, 01:04 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I was just about to ask if anyone knew what a "Sound-Absorbing Sun Visor" is, but here's what Lexus has to say about it:

The sun visor has been designed with noise absorption characteristics. The visor outer shell has vent holes to absorb noise entering the cabin from the windshield and cowl.
I don't know about you, but I'm in awe over how quiet my car is thanks to these marvels of modern technology...

Javier
Old 10-18-06, 02:22 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by taejin09
The sound deadning crap is for advertisement purpose only IMO. Maybe Lexus forgot? I guess you could just get really dark tint job...
Advertising Purposes only?? Give me a break! I can just see it now...

Lexus Commercial comes on the air... that guy with the cool voice starts talking about the IS, "an automotive first... sound deadening sun visors"

Guy watching the commercial: "OMG!!!! Sound Deadening Sun Visors!? No WAY! I can't believe it! I HAVE to go purchase the new IS RIGHT NOW! Hunny, watch the kids, I'm going to go buy the new Lexus IS, It's got Sound Deadening sun visors!!!

Seriously dude, give the Lexus marketing department some credit! This is not an advertising ploy. Monkeys could find better things about the car to advertise than the freaking sun visors.

Javier hit it right on the head. So true.
Old 10-18-06, 04:58 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

So what you are saying is that because of the sunvisors absorbing noise from the windows, the interior is quieter? Did they design the sunvisor so that the wind noise is absorbed even when the visor is in another direction besides just where it is supposed to be such as turned to the side or flipped over? I seriously thought Javy was being sarcastic but i guess not. It seems that even if I have my sunvisors in it's orignial position, there isnt a difference in sound. It is just an advertising ploy on part of Lexus. A many of little things increases the chance conversion or profit.

PS. Maybe it does help but it will be VERY VERY insignificant.. I mean very!
Old 03-21-08, 06:08 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

do the 2008 visors extend?
Old 03-21-08, 06:11 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buds
Advertising Purposes only?? Give me a break! I can just see it now...

Lexus Commercial comes on the air... that guy with the cool voice starts talking about the IS, "an automotive first... sound deadening sun visors"

Guy watching the commercial: "OMG!!!! Sound Deadening Sun Visors!? No WAY! I can't believe it! I HAVE to go purchase the new IS RIGHT NOW! Hunny, watch the kids, I'm going to go buy the new Lexus IS, It's got Sound Deadening sun visors!!!

Seriously dude, give the Lexus marketing department some credit! This is not an advertising ploy. Monkeys could find better things about the car to advertise than the freaking sun visors.

Javier hit it right on the head. So true.
I guess their next marketing angle will be UVA/UVB blocking window treatments.
Old 03-21-08, 07:32 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Maybe I'll go to the dealer and give it a shot on one in the showroom
Ha ha LMAO....that's exactly why I special ordered my car, so I wouldn't be spending all my money on one that has been played around with at the dealership.
Old 03-21-08, 07:53 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

I haven't really thought about the extension. It doesn't really bother me that much.

I can see why people would want that option. For me, all it takes is just to put on my oakleys and zoom i go!

Quick Reply: sun visors can not be extended out