IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sun visors can not be extended out

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 11:45 AM
dong888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sun visors can not be extended out

Does anyone know why the sun visors can not be extended out? Most of other cars (at cheaper price) have it. It is just a bit annoying when the sunlight can not be blocked and my visibility gets affected when driving in the sunny California. I have to move the seat forward than I normally would.
Old 06-23-06, 11:47 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno, mine seem to work fine...like a normal car does.
Old 06-23-06, 11:51 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I know what you mean, the visor's only swing down and over. I was kind of dissapointed it didn't pull out more or have that little attachment that extends out of the visor.
Old 06-23-06, 11:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

You guys sure it doesn't extend along the visor brace or whatever the metal bar is that goes down the top of the visor? Even in my 1998 GS it does that... there isn't a little extra pull out shade, but the visor extends a good six extra inches if you dig on it hard.

DISCLAIMER: While I encourage somebody tugging hard on their visor to find out if this works, I take no responsibility if it doesn't and you rip the visor off of the inside of your car I didn't know my GS did it until I read it on CL and I felt like I was going to pull it off the first time I tried it.

Some brave soul , give it a shot!

EDIT - here's how it works on the 2GS, see how it doesn't look like it extends, but the last one shows how far it does.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-23-06 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 12:07 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

don't know/don't care. between tinted windows and polarized sunglasses, I'd rather not have visors at all.
Old 06-23-06, 12:35 PM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Yes, super annoying. I was toying with the idea of getting the GS's visors, as those do pull out and they look to be the same size. I am curious to see if the 07 IS will have fixed it. For me, the sun is always in the uncovered part
Old 06-23-06, 12:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o i c. no it doesn't do that.
Old 06-23-06, 12:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Maybe I'll go to the dealer and give it a shot on one in the showroom
Old 06-23-06, 12:52 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jasoncd
Yes, super annoying. I was toying with the idea of getting the GS's visors, as those do pull out and they look to be the same size. I am curious to see if the 07 IS will have fixed it. For me, the sun is always in the uncovered part
But do the GS's visor's have sound dampening material in them? lol.
Old 06-23-06, 12:58 PM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Payam
But do the GS's visor's have sound dampening material in them? lol.
oh no! Hadn't thought of that. What will I do? hehe. I asked the service people here, and he said he couldn't find any specs on the IS and GS sunvisors to compare. I suppose we could just tape some cardboard to it, but where's the fun in that?
Old 06-23-06, 03:07 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I am pretty sure that the visors can not be extended since the manual did not say anything about extension. See here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=3783

For those who does not know what I am talking about, for most Toyota cars, the visors can be extended out like the pictures of GS posted above. It is very useful (at least for me) when you flip it to the side window and extend to the right length, depending on your seating postion. For most Honda cars, it is some kind plastic inside the visor that extends out, instead of the whole visor moving out.

I wonder if we can just buy the one from the GS and install on the IS?? Or better yet, we all complain to Lexus headquater and have them give us a new set??

I just find it very strange since all the rest of toyotas has it except for the IS. Can anyone who owns 1IS to verify if it has the entended visor too?
Old 09-20-06, 06:16 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

anyone try a GS visor on the IS to see if this works? Just hate not being able to extend the visor.
Old 09-20-06, 06:46 PM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sickntired
anyone try a GS visor on the IS to see if this works? Just hate not being able to extend the visor.
Haven't tried. I'm curious if has been 'fixed' for 07 model. I will be doing my 5k service in a couple of weeks and was going to check then.
Old 10-17-06, 10:38 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sickntired
This was not changed for the 07 IS. Service tried to put the GS visor on, but it's 1" longer, which is ok with me, but he also said it just doesn't connect correctly where it attaches to the roof.
Old 10-17-06, 11:03 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the one major deficiency in the IS's design, this and the rear leg room. Other than these two items, I think the car is about perfect. I'd rather have those two deficiencies than others I can think of. I bet they'll add the extending sun visors the year after I buy the IS.

Quick Reply: sun visors can not be extended out