IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why so many Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 02:12 PM
Griffey222
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many Mods?

I am curious as to why so many people want to take such a FANTASTIC looking car and alter it with so many modifications...Sure, it's mostly wheels, drops, tints and kits, but I just don't see the appeal of taking such a FINE piece of machinery and altering it...I know, to each his/her own, but I just don't really get the whole mod sceen. And why is it that it seems the IS is so mod friendly, yet the BMW 3 is not...I also find it weird that the attraction to this car is so great from a mod standpoint, yet Lexus corporate keeps such a conservative approach...Of course this 2IS is much more agressive than any previous Lexus short of the original SC maybe? Anyway, just curious to see what everyone thinks!
Old 06-23-06, 02:23 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'll say what you already know. To each his own. EVERY forum I go to is all about modding. Not JUST the 2nd Generation IS. People modify any car, period. Whether it be for good or bad, there is people who will modify because it's their hobby, it's what they love doing.

Personally, If you think the car is great it is, then that is just fine. Some people are car enthusiasts to a sense they want to make their vehicle unique, perform better, sound better, handle better, look better then the Original form.

It seems like you take such a offense to modifying the IS in particular, because you like the way the car looks from Factory. For me, I have been in the car scene for many years. I saw the "Sport" evolve to what it is today. Modifying a car is my hobby. People have their own interest right? My main interest is my Lexus IS350. I want to make it a better car for me.

But don't take it the wrong way when I say that, I'm not saying just because your a car enthusiast you are automatically considered a person to who modifies their cars.
Old 06-23-06, 02:30 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffey222
And why is it that it seems the IS is so mod friendly, yet the BMW 3 is not...
Living in SoCal, there are a lot of modded Bimmers. Not just 3 serires, but all models. It is very common to see a slammed 7 series on 22's, 5 series on 20's, 3 series completely modded out, and X5 on 24's all in the same day. I may have exagerrated, but you get my point.

I guess there isn't a lot of imports (Euro, or Asia) in North Carolina.
Old 06-23-06, 02:32 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Ah, Pocky, the Nav-hack king... you are wise beyond your years, my friend... Very well said, and I'll only add that it also depends on what you call a "mod." To some people, disabling the seat-belt chime is a "mod," to others it isn't. As pocky said, most people on these types of forums want to take what they have and make it even better. However, the vast majority of car owners don't like to "mod" their vehicles out of fear of breaking or ruining it. If you're one of those people, that's cool, too - but for us car nerds we'll always be on the lookout for a way to pump out more horsepower, ride lower, go faster, stop sooner, look cooler, sound better, etc. - you get the idea... (or at least I hope you do!)

Javier
Old 06-23-06, 02:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol coming from someone in north carolina = auto racing car enthusiasts. look within your own community, you'll find the answer why.
Old 06-23-06, 02:44 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

A Lexus represents the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection, modifying it is the owner's way of furthering that pursuit

I could never own a car and *not* modify it. Cars are good out of the factory, but they are designed to cater to a diverse range of people. There are compromises made so that the car appeals to everyone. My personal preferences and use of a car are outside the scope of most dealership available packages, so aftermarket modifications appease that need for 'more'.
Old 06-23-06, 02:50 PM
Griffey222
Rookie

I hear ya. Like I said, or at least meant to, I don't have a problem with it, I was just curious. I can see the points. if it's your passion to make it your own and different, I guess it makes sense...For me, I like to get the baddest car I can afford and leave it be...Thanks for the fedback...As for NC...I see a lot of Honda's modded, lot's of Tahoe's rolling on big wheels and a few others, but I would not call NC the mod capital of the US...Or maybe I am just not looking in the right places...
Old 06-23-06, 03:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Griffey222
I hear ya. Like I said, or at least meant to, I don't have a problem with it, I was just curious. I can see the points. if it's your passion to make it your own and different, I guess it makes sense...For me, I like to get the baddest car I can afford and leave it be...Thanks for the fedback...As for NC...I see a lot of Honda's modded, lot's of Tahoe's rolling on big wheels and a few others, but I would not call NC the mod capital of the US...Or maybe I am just not looking in the right places...
growing up, i really didn't know anything about modding cars. i thought working on a car meant repairing it. i think you really gotta love cars and like working on them to really get into heavy modding.

hehe, outside of cali who loves their cars more.....?

"North Carolina has been deemed "NASCAR Valley" as 73% of all American motorsports employees work in North Carolina (this includes other motorsports series such as CART and ARCA). The majority of NASCAR teams are located in or near the Charlotte-metro area. Cities in North Carolina that are home to NASCAR teams include: Charlotte, Wilkesboro, Mooresville, Concord, Statesville, Huntersville, Welcome, Kernersville, Randleman, Greensboro, High Point, Harrisburg, and Kannapolis. Specifically, 82% of Nextel Cup teams, 72% of Busch Series teams, and 55% of Craftsman Truck Series teams are based in North Carolina. The majority of NASCAR Nextel Cup and Busch Series drivers maintain their primary residences near Charlotte."
Old 06-23-06, 03:37 PM
islandsnow
Driver

just wondering out of curiosity, because i'm not heavy into "modding" but if you do, does that mean your warranty from lexus is void?
Old 06-23-06, 03:58 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
just wondering out of curiosity, because i'm not heavy into "modding" but if you do, does that mean your warranty from lexus is void?
In theory, the dealership deny your warranty if they can prove that a modification you made was the source of the defect. If you put too much oil on a K&N air filter and the mass air flow sensor gets fouled up, you'll be out of luck. If your tranny blows, they can't deny your warranty because of the filter.
Old 06-23-06, 04:04 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by islandsnow
If they can prove that the modification you did, caused a premature malfunction, it will void the warranty. However, it can be a tedious battle, and some mods are easier to argue than others when it comes to failure. I personally plan to do minor bolt-on mods which are easier to reverse, at least until later in the vehicles life.

To the original thread starter, modifications work in the same fashion that you make a house a home. You select something in a nice area, that is pleasent and affordable, then furnish it according to your taste. For some people, the car represents the canvas, while mods personalize the vehicle to ones liking- sometimes faster, other times just visuals. Just a matter of personal taste and perception.
Old 06-23-06, 04:06 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

IMO, there is nothing wrong with modifying a car as long as you have $$$ to support your hobby. But when you can't pay your bills because all your $$$ is going to something that depreciates in value, that's something I'll never comprehend. Lots of people want it now and don't prepare for tomorrow. That's why many people are in debt because their priorities aren't in line. They own a very nice car but live in a shack they can barely pay for. As for me, I will keep investing my hard earned $$$ so that I can support my hobby and still have lots of $$$ for tomorrow.
Old 06-23-06, 04:48 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

i tell you why, because factory wheels are boring looking.
Old 06-23-06, 05:51 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

amen! actually i think if they had taken the 18" and made the spokes ever CLOSER and dealt with some aggresive offsets (no lip)...it would be a fantastic looking wheel
Old 06-23-06, 06:27 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dfw350
i tell you why, because factory wheels are boring looking.

Quick Reply: Why so many Mods?