IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 06:36 PM
jomey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS problems

I just had installed g-games 99b into my tungsten pearl IS 350 and have replaced the sensors to the new wheels and initialized it. But after few miles the check system came on. Is there any way to de-activate the TPMS so I wont have to see that annoying check system light. I wonder if the sensor was damage during re-install. This TPMS is so unnecessary and waste of time. Can someone help me address my problem. thanks.
Old 06-25-06, 07:53 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jomey
This TPMS is so unnecessary and waste of time.
That's a short sighted assesment. TPMS a great addition to any vehicle.
Old 06-26-06, 04:13 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS
and soon to be required of all vehicles (thank Ford and Firestone for that)
Old 06-26-06, 05:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when it becomes standard on all vehicles im sure all wheel manafacturers will respond to make them TPMS compatible
Old 06-27-06, 05:39 PM
jomey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
So, what is the solution to this problem. As you know, many enthusiast enjoys modification of their wheels and tires. Do they just accept it and that many wheels are not compatible to TPMS. In other vehicles does not require sensors on the wheels.
Old 06-27-06, 05:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I disagree with you that TPMS is unecessary and a waste of time. Performance tires, with their low profile and stiff sidewalls, can be dangerously low on air without looking flat.

I don't particularly like the TPMS in the IS. I prefer ones that give you a digital readout of the actual air pressure in each tire. But the one we have is better than nothing.

To address your needs, I agree that until such time that a pressure monitoring system becomes a federal requirement on new cars, Lexus should provide a mechanism for disabling the system. If they want to keep the lawyers happy, I wouldn't object to a "Warning: Tire pressure monitoring system disabled" warning appearing briefly in the trip computer display each time the car is started.
Old 06-27-06, 06:04 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This TPMS is so unnecessary and waste of time.
I have TPMS on my ’04 Infiniti G35 coupe. About two months ago the light went on. I pulled over to inspect the tires and could find nothing wrong on visual inspection. When I got home and put a gauge to the tires I found the left-rear was down below 28psi (I’m supposed to have 30psi or more.). By morning, it was down to 26. I added some air and went to a tire shop and sure enough there was a nasty nail causing a slow leak which they repaired.

Had I ignored the light a bit longer I could have ruined the tire, or worse, had an accident. I’m sold on the TPMS concept.
Old 06-27-06, 06:37 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Magellan
Had I ignored the light a bit longer I could have ruined the tire, or worse, had an accident. I’m sold on the TPMS concept.
Or worse. Much worse. I was going to suggest that the original poster talk to some of the Ford Explorer/Firestone victims about what can happen when underinflated tires blow out, but I suspect they wouldn't be able to hear him through their coffins.
Old 06-27-06, 09:23 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So, what is the solution to this problem. As you know, many enthusiast enjoys modification of their wheels and tires. Do they just accept it and that many wheels are not compatible to TPMS. In other vehicles does not require sensors on the wheels.
I follow the sentiments of everyone else who's replied so far and no one has seem to have changed your mind.

You said you might of damaged the sensors during re-install so this might of been a self-induced problem in the first place. It sounds like you want to completely "disable" the TPMS so just put all 4 sensors on the spare or a wheel barrow tire in your trunk.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 06-28-06, 05:16 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by conekiller
and soon to be required of all vehicles (thank Ford and Firestone for that)
I blame the owners for not monitoring their tire pressures. I blame Ford for recommending extremely low tire pressures in the first place. I blame Ford for creating a suspension that was so unstable that it had no place being in a vehicle destined for drving on public roads.

I still contend that Firestone was not at fault, yet took the bulk of the blame thanks to Ford's passing of the buck. Ford should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 06-28-06, 08:35 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I love to know when tire pressure is low on my IS. I just don’t like the fact that they are expensive units which can’t give us the exact pressure.

In that case I like the system in the 06 BMW 3 series. No sensors inside the wheels. The system verifies the rotational difference between the wheels and alerts you. If I’m not mistaking this is done with the existing ABS sensors. No extra sensors to ad to the cost. Also, I believe it is compatible with any aftermarket wheels!
Old 06-28-06, 08:40 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kermee
I follow the sentiments of everyone else who's replied so far and no one has seem to have changed your mind.

You said you might of damaged the sensors during re-install so this might of been a self-induced problem in the first place. It sounds like you want to completely "disable" the TPMS so just put all 4 sensors on the spare or a wheel barrow tire in your trunk.

Cheers,
Kermee
As I posted in a different thread, it MAY be possible to disable TPMS by disconnecting the control computer. The black box at the very top of the radio stack should be the TPMS controller.

-Brian
Old 06-28-06, 09:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rys
As I posted in a different thread, it MAY be possible to disable TPMS by disconnecting the control computer. The black box at the very top of the radio stack should be the TPMS controller.

-Brian
At this point, that's nothing but hopeful speculation. Other safety related systems on the car, like the ABS and air bag controllers, perform self tests to make sure they are active and working properly. Given Lexus' fear of product liability suits, I think there is a good chance that TPMS is also included in the vehicle diagnostics.
Old 06-28-06, 09:39 AM
rys
Pole Position

Yes and no, my speculation is that they located the TPMS ECU at the top of the radio cluster so that it could be disconnected. The other ECUs are not conveniently located (SRS, ABS, etc).

-Brian
Old 06-28-06, 09:44 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by phatboyc
I love to know when tire pressure is low on my IS. I just don’t like the fact that they are expensive units which can’t give us the exact pressure.

In that case I like the system in the 06 BMW 3 series. No sensors inside the wheels. The system verifies the rotational difference between the wheels and alerts you. If I’m not mistaking this is done with the existing ABS sensors. No extra sensors to ad to the cost. Also, I believe it is compatible with any aftermarket wheels!
While it is a cheaper setup (passive), the (active) sensors in the IS do know the PSI, Lexus just chose not to display that information.

Quick Reply: TPMS problems