IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 11:08 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
Posting the same pictures again? seriously?
He just REALLY likes those pictures of his car.
Old 02-01-11, 07:11 PM
SIMMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tinting help!!!!!

I have a 2006 Onyx Blue Lexus IS350. Tan interior, got after market TSW rims on it. I wanted to know what percentage window tint I should get. I was thinking 20% ALL AROUND...Any suggestions?????
Old 02-01-11, 07:18 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think its good to do all around... 1st you have to deal with cops.. 2nd you will get tired of it. I have tint all around and been debating if i want to take the front off. But if you going to do all around get the UV tint. I had it on my old Mercedes.. its like wearing UV sun glasses.
Old 02-01-11, 07:23 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

first off, welcome to CL! with tan interior, you might be able to get away with 20% for the fronts. but this is cali....not sure if cops will notice or not. i doubt you'll get tired of it, especially when the weather heats up again. huper optik doesn't have as dark a look to it, but it's solar rejection and UV protection is great. check out the tint thread for great places and reviews. best of luck!
Old 02-01-11, 08:08 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

with a darker exterior and lighter interior, 20% should be fine and not "appear" to be as dark... I have starfire exterior and black interior which makes it look painted black ... dunno how it is in cali but here in NY I have gotten away with 5%
Old 02-01-11, 10:07 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to CL. Where in Cali you from. YOu know CHP loves that stuff. So Cal cars have more tint all around. I have 35% all around and don't worry much. Black on black car. Look under the search column and look for the official tint thread. There are pics posted of various IS's with different tint. Good luck.
Old 02-02-11, 12:29 AM
ximd
Pole Position

got horrible luck with tint tickets for my previous two cars in CA...staying as a fishbowl for now
Old 02-02-11, 12:31 AM
CalMike
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you in Northern or Southern California? Since our state is short on cash, cops are really looking for a reason to pull us over, even if we happen to be driving a Lexus. I live in SoCal and had 35% front, 20% rear and rear windshield on my Black Sapphire Pearl, the color that succeeded Blue Onyx. It looked good and while I had the car it never attracted any heat (literally or figuratively). If you're concerned about the front and rear windows not matching, you might consider 30% on all the windows, with 20% on your rear windshield. This is what I have on my new car, which is Obsidian. Even so, proceed with caution, since anything beyond 70% is technically illegal. Some people simply roll their front windows down whenever they drive near a cop to try to avoid getting pulled over. I've always wondered though if that might backfire.
Old 02-02-11, 12:51 AM
foam
Driver

You guys got it rough in Cali with the exhaust/tint laws. In WA, it's so much more lenient
Old 02-02-11, 01:22 AM
SIMMS
Driver School Candidate

Hi all! Thank you all for the warm welcome, I'm located in Northern California in the bay area near San Jose area. I'm not really concerned with fix it tickets right now but just would like to know what you all think would look good on my car, I've never had a car with a beige interior so I don't know what the tint would look like with that...I kind of have my heart set on 20% all around, what do you all think (disregarding cop trouble and the legality of it)???
Old 02-02-11, 02:12 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with 20% all the way around. I just had mine done here in SoCal and i love it. I have the black interior though so my 20% actually looks darker. Since you have a light color interior it won't look as dark. Here's how it looks on my car..(sorry not the best picture...i can try taking another one 2mrw if you want)

I love the way the car flows with 20% tint all around and its a great contrast on the color of my car too...im glad i didn't go with 5% or 35%

If i get pulled over i'll either A) Pay the fine, or, B) Remove tint and then redo again. Whatever's cheaper lol. I don't like not having tinted windows, its a personal preference and i'll pay to play
Old 02-02-11, 02:44 AM
HighImStan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CalMike
Are you in Northern or Southern California? Since our state is short on cash, cops are really looking for a reason to pull us over, even if we happen to be driving a Lexus. I live in SoCal and had 35% front, 20% rear and rear windshield on my Black Sapphire Pearl, the color that succeeded Blue Onyx. It looked good and while I had the car it never attracted any heat (literally or figuratively). If you're concerned about the front and rear windows not matching, you might consider 30% on all the windows, with 20% on your rear windshield. This is what I have on my new car, which is Obsidian. Even so, proceed with caution, since anything beyond 70% is technically illegal. Some people simply roll their front windows down whenever they drive near a cop to try to avoid getting pulled over. I've always wondered though if that might backfire.
Yes it does backfire! Got pulled over once while windows were down and cops asked me to roll them up. Luckily they didn't think it was that dark.
Old 02-02-11, 08:49 AM
ximd
Pole Position

^ this happened to me too. They saw that my rear windows were tinted so they just assumed that my fronts were as well and made me roll them up
Old 02-02-11, 08:53 AM
WeisISF
Pole Position

i have a black interior and i have 20% on the front and 5% on the rears had it for awhile and so far i haven't got in trouble for it. its fine in the day time, but at night its a little hard to see out of the rears
Old 02-02-11, 09:48 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

30% will look nice.

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!