IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Protecting key fob signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 04:02 PM
lexi06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting key fob signals

Has anyone done anything to protect your key fob from broadcasting its signal?
There were news of high tech thieves stealing cars by using a laptop with special
software to decrypt the broadcasting signal from the key fob. And then the decrypted
code can be used to unlock and start the targeted car. Other than pulling out the battery
from the key fob, is there anything that can be done?
Old 06-26-06, 04:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexi06
There were news of high tech thieves stealing cars by using a laptop with special
software to decrypt the broadcasting signal from the key fob. And then the decrypted
code can be used to unlock and start the targeted car. Other than pulling out the battery
I saw this on the news today also. In addition, I have heard this repeated quite often all over the Internet. Not sure that there is anything you can do to protect your signal, not sure if there is anything you need to really worry about.

Actually I should say what I really feel since I always do. I think it's pretty silly. for many reasons.

Edit: ok I'll name one. They steal your car with a computer and drive it 30 miles across town. Then what? Sell the car along with the computer so they can keep re-starting the car? Or do fences now have their own computers lol.

Last edited by kensteele; 06-26-06 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 07:22 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

If there are thieves that technically knowledgeable, then a key would be as easy as to copy as a remote with a signal. Otherwords, do not worry about it. What are the chances that such theives would steal a 2IS and furthermore, your 2IS ? ahhaha
Old 06-26-06, 07:33 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

If they're that smart they dont want your cheapie lexus. they'll aim for somthing higher.
Old 06-26-06, 07:41 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
They steal your car with a computer and drive it 30 miles across town. Then what? Sell the car along with the computer so they can keep re-starting the car? Or do fences now have their own computers lol.
Car thieves don't sell whole cars. They chop them up and sell the parts.
Old 06-26-06, 07:47 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi06
The signal is so weak. Unless they're INSIDE your car when you press the button they're not going to get your code. So if someone unkown to you is sitting beside you IN the car WITH a laptop, DON'T press the button.
Old 06-26-06, 07:51 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Car thieves don't sell whole cars. They chop them up and sell the parts.
Ok good point......

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-06, 07:57 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Technology always gets cheaper and more widely available. What's unlikely today is inevitable tomorrow. Three years from now, I'm sure that Lexus and other car companies will not be using the same technology as the key fobs today. Imagine how useless a three-year-old copy of Norton Anti-Virus is today.

Am I that worried about it? No. But I want Lexus and others to get to work on a next-gen, hack-proof system.
Old 06-26-06, 08:11 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

you dont have to be smart to steal cars.. its pretty much the opposite.
nobody smart does blue collar crimes.
Old 06-26-06, 10:08 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

You have to be at least knowledgeable enough to work a computer decently to steal a 2IS and at that rate why aim for a 2IS aime for somthing better... doenst matter the point is there isnt much of a marker out there for a 2IS... so dont have to be too worried about it. Plus right now theres no market for chop shops wanting parts of a 2IS to sell in the black market. too new. no one needs to buy used parts unlike a old early 90s camry or accord that things are breaking down and is hard to get cheap parts for.

If your head light broke or alternator broke would you goto the black market to buy one to fix your car with? Prob not... so no real incentive for anyone to steal a 2IS.