IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 07:23 PM
tragic22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip

I'm trying to find out what what kind of experience some of the other IS owners on here have had doing lost distance trips.
I've received a good deal on an IS 250 AWD with nav up here in NYC and on one in Tampa, Florida. The difference in money really isn't that big of a deal though I would save a couple bucks by taking a flight down there and driving back up but most importantly I'd be able to get my car earlier if I take the trip. I'm wondering how some people on here have handled long distance traveling. I'd like to do the drive without any stops which should make it about an 17-18 hour drive. I'm thinking that I could manage the drive by myself but I'm really not sure.
Old 06-28-06, 08:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, for any road trip, any Lexus will provide the comfort and luxury that will pamper you enough for 18 hours.

However, the IS is the car with most "road feel" in the Lexus lineup. It may not be uncomfortable, but it will be the most noisy and stiff ride compared to the others. That doesn't mean the IS will be uncomfortable -- in fact, it will be very refreshing. Just realize that you won't be riding as if your driving on a plush couch, such as the seats and ride of the LS or GS.

Good luck on the trip!
Old 06-28-06, 09:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Hi there...

I drove once from NY to Myrtle Beach SC.... straight through all in one shot..

Just stopped for drinks, gas and restroom..

It took just under 13 hours to travel 666 miles
But I had my girl with me, keeping me awake most of the drive..
We hit the road around 6pm and got there the next day around 7am

It wasn't easy, espically night time driving in T-storms.
But to tell you the truth my IS300 did great and the drive was comfortable and a good experience.
I would do it again

Its going to be very hard to do 17-18 hours straight... alone... plus you have about 1,150 miles to travel..
You will need to stop for gas in the middle of no where and being alone well bore you within a few hours...

Try to bring someone with you and it should be a good road trip..

You will have thousands of dead bugs on your bumper and I'm really not sure if its a good idea to bring in the new IS with a constant RPM / MPH for an extended period of time..

Just my thoughts..

Joe Z
Old 06-28-06, 09:59 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a road trip in my 350 2 weeks ago and I drove for about 400 miles (one way) and although I got stuck in traffic for a good 2 hrs, I still loved being in the car. The trip took a total of 9 hours for me (because of the traffic). It was my first road trip ever by myself and I thought I'd be bored to death and that the ride would be uncomfortable but lemme tell ya, the 2IS handled beautifully! My seat was really comfy and I didn't feel any discomfort at all. Only thing that was hurting me after a while were my shoulders but that was no biggie once I got to my destination and received a shoulder massage.

I noticed that you said you're getting a 250. I can't really tell you how that'd be like since I have a 350 but in my 350, the open road was a speed demon's dream! Once I was in WOT mode, I felt like I was flying. I toyed with a 250 during my trip and after I got bored, I let the driver enjoy a shot of my rear as I sped off. Either way, I truly think that the 2IS is a great cruising/road trip kind of car.
Old 06-28-06, 10:09 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make a weekend/vacation out of it. Tampa is a great place to be. I suggest either Indian Rocks Beach or St. Pete Beach. I'm up at college in Georgia right now but otherwise I would go check it out for you before you made the trip. Who are you working with in Tampa btw?
Old 06-28-06, 10:29 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I toyed with a 250 during my trip and after I got bored, I let the driver enjoy a shot of my rear as I sped off. :
hahah you should play nice with your younger 250 sibling.