IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

San Diego to Vegas: Drive the IS or rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 08:30 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would fly the drive back is never fun Last time I went to Vegas I had to drive back to San Diego because everyone else was either too tired or too wasted. So we are all flying out next week.
Old 06-29-06, 08:54 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

u should reconsider. i heard they charge you a grip if you go out of state and they know via gps. i saw it on the news once. depends what company i guess
Old 06-29-06, 09:08 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I would normally recommend driving the IS, since the trip will be a lot more comfortable (not to mention quicker). The IS will be able to handle the heat, but the only thing that would concern me is the construction they have been doing on the I-15.

I've heard a lot of people having problems with the paint easily chipping, and a Vegas trip will definitely leave its mark on the car.

All of the American cars they usually have for rent are very uncomfortable for long drives.
Old 06-29-06, 09:21 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'm renting from Enterprise and they don't charge for mileage as long as the car stays in CA, NV and AZ... So that is not an issue. As far as the IS being more comfortable, can't agree there either. More fun? For sure, but not more comfortable. The vehicle i'd be renting has significantly more cabin space than the IS.

I've owned several domestic vehicles, comfort was never an issue... Quality, fit and finish, and in some cases styling may have been questionable, but they were always comfy.
Old 06-29-06, 09:32 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by r6z9r
i would fly the drive back is never fun Last time I went to Vegas I had to drive back to San Diego because everyone else was either too tired or too wasted. So we are all flying out next week.
oh yeah definitely fly if you can or if it's cheap. the drive up will be relatively quick... but the drive back is torture! everybody n their mommas leaving at the same time and someone ALWAYS has to get into some accident that blocks all the lanes. last time i went... it took us only 3 1/2 hours from torrance to get there with pitstops... but 8 hours to get back! we were tempted to take one of the sideroads and hope it leads us back to the 15.
Old 06-29-06, 09:36 AM
IthacaPete
Driver School Candidate

I would totally take the Lexus. That rental car place will probably promise you something nice and then try to give you a Neon when you show up.
Old 06-29-06, 10:02 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go for the rental. You'll have enough comfort in the car (A/C, radio, good gas mileage, etc) without beating the IS. You just don't need to add that much miles on the IS for a weekend, especially in Vegas heat and the traffic that you will hit. Just make sure you're allowed to leave the state; some rental companies state you can't take the car out of California...

POLL TIME!!!!
Old 06-29-06, 10:22 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I would go for the rental. You'll have enough comfort in the car (A/C, radio, good gas mileage, etc) without beating the IS. You just don't need to add that much miles on the IS for a weekend, especially in Vegas heat and the traffic that you will hit. Just make sure you're allowed to leave the state; some rental companies state you can't take the car out of California...

POLL TIME!!!!
YES! Create a poll! I know TimboIS will be the first one to vote, he being a big fan if such polls...
Old 06-29-06, 10:49 AM
SILes300
Driver

Why buy a car to let it sit? Enjoy it, I drove mine from Colorado to Vegas, then to Utah.
Old 06-29-06, 12:32 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IthacaPete
I would totally take the Lexus. That rental car place will probably promise you something nice and then try to give you a Neon when you show up.
we rented a car once and we had a standard size car reserved... we get to the rental place and they have none available so they bumped us up to an suv for the same price and threw in free insurance.
Old 06-29-06, 12:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SILes300
Why buy a car to let it sit? Enjoy it, I drove mine from Colorado to Vegas, then to Utah.
I do enjoy it... Quite a bit infact... Got the car in mid December and by the time I get home from work today, I will have over 11k miles on it. My IS has a cashmere interior and I do my best to keep it as clean as possible, so far i've done a good job of it. Driving for 5 hours strait each way though, with another passanger, we're going to want to bring food and drinks into the car which is undoubtedly going to create a mess and possible stains, which will make the trip very UN-enjoyable for me. Not to mention drving up elevations of ~5000 feet in 100+ degree weather with the AC going. The fact that the IS can handle it is irrivelelnt to me, I just don't wnat to put my own personal vehicle through those types of conditions, especially when I can avoid it all together for a mere $110 all the while eat/drink till my hearts content. I also won't have to worry about rock chips from the many hundreds of semi's I'll be driving past or behind on the way there. As far as the rental agency downgrading me because they don't have my car available, that has never happened to me. I've always gotten the car I reserved, or been upgraded if it wasn't available.
Old 06-29-06, 01:13 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rent. The best $110 ever spent. The debate will rage on and on. Use it. Don't use it. NO, use it. In this instance I would rent. The first "smack" you get on the rental car from a rock and you can say "Whew, what a great decision I made".

I have gone so overboard on the use it, don't use it debate that I have a 6 year old Corvette with only 4500 miles on it. It is a sickness, I know.

My wife is surprised that I'm using the IS to the extent that I am.
Old 06-29-06, 01:47 PM
jaydub
Driver School Candidate

It'd be very expensive to rent anything which would make you stand out in Vegas.
Old 06-29-06, 02:07 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I would rental also just because its a crazy holiday weekend. If it was just an ordinary weekend I would drive the IS.

Dont worry about going out of state. When I went to Illinois, Chicago last year I rented a car there and drove it to Toronto Canada and Niagra Falls in the rental. Was there for only one night. Drive back the following day. 1300 mile round trip.
Old 06-29-06, 03:12 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

If you actually decide to rent go to hertz and rent the Hertz Shelby GTH they have them the lindburgh airport
might cost you alittle more but it would be worth it.

Quick Reply: San Diego to Vegas: Drive the IS or rent a car?