IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

San Diego to Vegas: Drive the IS or rent a car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06 | 09:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

Default San Diego to Vegas: Drive the IS or rent a car?

I've pretty much made up my mind to rent a vehicle instead of driving my IS350 up to vegas, just curious as to what you would do.

The scenario: Going to vegas for 4th of July weekend, with the heat wave we've been having, temps will easly break tripple digit numbers on the way to vegas, with the elevation changes and the AC blasting the whole 5 hour trip, it is going to be a pretty brutal drive on the vehicle, not sure if I wanna put my baby through that. Plus, i'm going with my sister and we're both gonna want to eat/drink in the car, and it'll be nice not to have to worry so much about making a mess. Then of course there is the miles, x2 since I'll be driving back too. Not to mention it is only going to cost me less than $110 for a 5 day rental for a Impala/Ford 500/Dodge Stratus class vehicle with unlimited mileage.

Based on that... What would you do?
Old 06-28-06 | 10:01 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

i would drive my IS. but thats just me, you gotta drive on the strip in your new IS, not some rental thats how i see it.

just wash it when u get there at those self wash places, and DON'T tailgate big trucks and such to avoid rock chips. then youll be alright.
Old 06-28-06 | 10:02 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Well that's a pretty good deal for the car rental so based on that, I'd rent. BUT the 350 is such a fun road trip car!

Read all about my review of the 350 during a road trip here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...76#post1980876
Old 06-28-06 | 10:14 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by PNice972
i would drive my IS. but thats just me, you gotta drive on the strip in your new IS, not some rental thats how i see it.

just wash it when u get there at those self wash places, and DON'T tailgate big trucks and such to avoid rock chips. then youll be alright.
I thought about that, but then realized that while the IS is a nice car, I don't think it would stand out much compared to some of the very high end cars you routinely see on the strip. Rock chips are another concern. I have an appointment to get my tints and clear bra the weekend after I get back.

Last edited by Ramon; 06-28-06 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-28-06 | 10:24 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

i wouldn't drive my new car to vegas... especially during the hot summer months. even though we drive to vegas, we usually just cab it around the strip cuz its just so hot to be walking around looking for your car.

the best deal would be to take your car in for maintenance that weekend and get a loaner and use that hahah.
Old 06-28-06 | 10:37 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

I would rent.....

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i wouldn't drive my new car to vegas... especially during the hot summer months. even though we drive to vegas, we usually just cab it around the strip cuz its just so hot to be walking around looking for your car.

the best deal would be to take your car in for maintenance that weekend and get a loaner and use that hahah.
I'm sure all the SoCal loaners will get snatched up by this Friday...

Jz
Old 06-28-06 | 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

a car is meant to be driven, not to be kept in the garage... drive it......

my gs400 and sc430 i drive them everywhere.... long trips or short distance
Old 06-28-06 | 10:43 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Default ...

I'm from San Deigo as well and did this drive last weekend (attended a wedding there). I took my sister's Corolla S instead of my GS300. All I can say is that, compared to my GS, the Corolla saves way more gas. Well I guess that is to be expected, I mean it's a 4 cylinder
Old 06-28-06 | 10:52 PM
xwhite250
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm... nice idea But don't they track the mileage on the loaners? Also, can you keep the loaner that you got for 5K free service over an entire weekend?

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99

Old 06-28-06 | 11:26 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I'd take the IS. I wouldn't want to take a long trip like that in a lesser car when I know what I have sitting in the garage.
Old 06-28-06 | 11:31 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

I drove mine to Vegas and all I have to say is that it is just a relaxing drive to and from vegas. When I got there, I just took a cab around because I basically didn't want to go through valets and its a pain to drive on the strip filled with pedestrians.
Old 06-29-06 | 12:13 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I would rent.....

I'm sure all the SoCal loaners will get snatched up by this Friday...

Jz
true... but they'll still give you a rental car. free rental car is nice...
Old 06-29-06 | 12:18 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xwhite250
Hmmm... nice idea But don't they track the mileage on the loaners? Also, can you keep the loaner that you got for 5K free service over an entire weekend?
the last time i went to vegas, my friend was actually able to get a loaner car from a dealer. he dropped his car off on a saturday afternoon n didn't return it till tuesday afternoon (it was a 3 day weekend). the service guy mentioned to keep it around 100 miles a day, but no where in the loaner contract does it say theres a maximum amount of miles per day. service was suppose to be done on monday... but he told the service manager that he didn't wanna come all the way out to the dealer on his day off to return the car. so he said tuesday would be fine since his work is close to the dealer also. he ended up putting about 700 miles on the loaner...
Old 06-29-06 | 04:08 AM
RealNinjuz
Rookie

Im driving from Fresno to Vegas in about 6 hours. No point in keeping it locked up.
Old 06-29-06 | 06:48 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Drive it! I'm driving mine from central NJ to Boston in a few weeks

Quick Reply: San Diego to Vegas: Drive the IS or rent a car?