IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Police Executed my wife's 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 08:58 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by is350
what the??????? i never heard about cops removing tint at the scene.
Very common in some areas - and they don't do a good job of it either. They carry a beat up old scraper just for this purpose...
Old 06-30-06, 09:05 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

When I was much younger (I’m now 69) I used to get my share of tickets, especially in my ’74 bright yellow Porsche 914 that I used to drive. But I’ve learned through the years many ways to avoid being pulled over. Certainly, you don’t want to get pulled over for one thing only to have a cop find something else, like no insurance papers, not wearing a seatbelt, or worse, having had one too many beers at that party you’re coming home from.

Now I haven’t been pulled over in 20 years (I’m touching wood here). This may be because:

• I have no illegal tints. (Tinting the front windshield is just looking for it.)
• My front license plate is installed.
• My side markers are the right color.
• I don’t weave in and out of traffic.
• I don’t cruise in the fast lane.
• I don’t flick trash out the window.
• I never follow too close.
• I assume that every pair of lights behind me at night is a cop.

So take it from this old man; you can still enjoy driving a performance car without putting a spotlight on yourself and seeing those bright red lights pulling up behind you.
Old 06-30-06, 09:11 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Well put Magellan! There's a lot of mojo in this forum. We need more people like you in this forum. "The Voice Of Good Reason". It seems that most people only care about how fast they can go and how cool their car looks regardless of the law. Hey 69 is still young. I just turned 40 but I can relate with you.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 06-30-06 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 09:19 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan

So take it from this old man; you can still enjoy driving a performance car without putting a spotlight on yourself and seeing those bright red lights pulling up behind you.
YUP. If you are speeding, assume EVERY light gaining on you is a cop. Don't try to race any car coming up from behind.
Old 06-30-06, 09:20 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Style2k6
I'm sorry to hear about the way this was handled but...let's look at it from the other side. Suppose it was not his wife but a bad element with bad intentions and because the windows were tinted to the point you could not see in the car and see the glock in the drivers hand. Would you want to be the one that has to go to that cops family and tell them daddy will not be coming home. The laws are not there because cops want a reason to pull you over they are there to protect not only the officers that have to walk up to that car but also the other drivers that are on the road that may not be seen in the lane next to you because your tint was too dark. I like tint as much as the next guy just not too dark and not on the windshield.
Cracks me up every time I read this...
Old 06-30-06, 09:23 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

You should file a complaint. Leave documentation, don't just talk to who ever's in charge.
Old 06-30-06, 09:27 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by ntran18
Cracks me up every time I read this...
What's so funny about it?
Old 06-30-06, 09:48 AM
carenthus
Driver

Originally Posted by Style2k6
Well you also have to think that they need to see in the car to try and determine if the occupants are making movements that are suspicious. putting the hands out the window is not going to help the police see what is going on before the hands go out the window .

Example:
Cop pulls car over he can see the driver remove his seatbelt and reach over to the glovebox to get the required paperwork but he also sees the passenger take his seatbelt off and wonders why .
Now the cop is a little more alert because of that. Now if the windows are tinted one shade before limo and the cop can't see the passenger take the seatbelt off hands out the window or not it is still a higher risk JMO. If it were your life at risk everyday how would you feel about that dark of tint. If the tint is so dark that you can't see in how do you know how many are in the car ? you ask to have all the windows rolled down and all hands out the windows how can you tell if infact all hands are out the window? Most rear seats can hold 3 people how is the middle person going to put their hands out the window?
You're making things too complicated. If the driver is out to get the cop, the driver will find a way to create harm no matter what. Let's say a non-tinted car is being pulled over by a police. The driver is mad, so he wants to pull out his gun. The driver is not gonna stop immediately, but makes the officer chase him for a distance to create time for him to pull out his weapon. It's just bad luck that the officer found a bad driver to pull over at the time.

It's the same for us driver when get pull over by a cop. Some are good, some are bad. In this case, the officer is really being a jackass. He's abusing his authority and harrassing a driver.
Old 06-30-06, 10:09 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tjp
I live in Fremont. I always knew that tinting the front side windows was illegal here. But I see this done all the time on many cars. I always figured it was one of those laws that was never enforced. I wonder why the dealer went ahead and installed it in the first place? Usually the dealers play it safe. Heck, most of them won't even disable the DRL's in case of legal issues.

I am shocked to hear that a cop made your wife rip off the tint right there on the street.

In a similar vein, I have not installed my front license plate (also illegal in CA). I wnder if this guy is going to pull me over and make me install it at the side of the road ;-)

Dealer will do anything to sell a car especially you are talking about $700 tint package.
Besides that, it is a Tint Protection Package. If you find out the detail, it covers lifetime removing for fixer ticket, and put it back for free.
Old 06-30-06, 10:12 AM
Style2k6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carenthus
You're making things too complicated. If the driver is out to get the cop, the driver will find a way to create harm no matter what. Let's say a non-tinted car is being pulled over by a police. The driver is mad, so he wants to pull out his gun. The driver is not gonna stop immediately, but makes the officer chase him for a distance to create time for him to pull out his weapon. It's just bad luck that the officer found a bad driver to pull over at the time.

It's the same for us driver when get pull over by a cop. Some are good, some are bad. In this case, the officer is really being a jackass. He's abusing his authority and harrassing a driver.
No one disagrees with the fact the cop was wrong in the way this was handled and also the driver does not have to be "out to get the cop" traffic stops turn out to be more that just a traffic stop all the time open container someone in the car has a warrant who knows. but at least if they are tinted legal you don't have that to worry about when you are stopped I think obeying the law is pretty easy to do. In South Dakota it is very common for a routine traffic stop on the interstate for speeding or a broken light to turn into a major drug bust.
Old 06-30-06, 10:14 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=
Now I haven’t been pulled over in 20 years (I’m touching wood here). This may be because:

• I have no illegal tints. (Tinting the front windshield is just looking for it.)
• My front license plate is installed.
• My side markers are the right color.
• I don’t weave in and out of traffic.
• I don’t cruise in the fast lane.
• I don’t flick trash out the window.
• I never follow too close.

So take it from this old man; you can still enjoy driving a performance car without putting a spotlight on yourself and seeing those bright red lights pulling up behind you. [/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you except that I'm a youngin'. Only 63 yrs. old. I'm still holding out with no front plate mounted. Just don't like the looks so I'm gambling. I know, I know, I'll "get it" sooner or later. Hope it's later.
Old 06-30-06, 11:21 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexustom
I'm right there with you except that I'm a youngin'. Only 63 yrs. old. I'm still holding out with no front plate mounted. Just don't like the looks so I'm gambling. I know, I know, I'll "get it" sooner or later. Hope it's later.
Yes, at 63 you’re still a kid. Why, you’re probably not even collecting social security yet!

On the front plate issue, I agree it’s a matter of time until you get nailed. With more cities installing these “gotcha” cameras at intersections that take pictures of both the driver and front plate, and considering how it brings in additional revenue, I would expect more enforcement activity by the police.
Old 06-30-06, 11:50 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Yes, at 63 you’re still a kid. Why, you’re probably not even collecting social security yet!

On the front plate issue, I agree it’s a matter of time until you get nailed. With more cities installing these “gotcha” cameras at intersections that take pictures of both the driver and front plate, and considering how it brings in additional revenue, I would expect more enforcement activity by the police.

I won't digress too much from the "tint thread" but maybe just a little. I am taking SS since I retired a few years ago. Believe me the SS I collect did NOT give me the abiltiy to buy the Lexus.

I have been through the tint thing years ago and was busted for it. That was when is was a "fix-it" ticket. But it was a pain and I'm not willing to go through the pain again. As for the front plate; I have not had one on my 2nd gen MR2 since the day I bought it new. (almost sixteen years ago) and so far so good. Or my Corvette. But I agree the cameras seem to be everywhere now. Maybe my cars will have front plates before I know it. Gag!
Old 06-30-06, 12:05 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Good to see a couple of older people not in Florida!! Did you both vote in the "Age Poll"? It needs some older votes to balance out those under 20 yr. olds.
Old 06-30-06, 12:22 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is4me2
Good to see a couple of older people not in Florida!! Did you both vote in the "Age Poll"? It needs some older votes to balance out those under 20 yr. olds.
Yes, I'm in the "older than 66" section, although I don't understand that -refuse to answer- part.

Quick Reply: Police Executed my wife's 350