IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Police Executed my wife's 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 02:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
... (illegal too in fact, any moddification from a stock vehicle can be considered illegal in the state of california) ...
Where do cops come up with this BS? ANY modification from stock? I can't think of a more uninformed statement, and I've heard it before from cops who don't know the law and don't care to read it.

It's not illegal to tint, to lower, to change tires and wheels, to change mufflers, to modify the body either with kits or by pure fabrication, etc., etc., AS LONG AS you are not in violation of the vehicle code. Anyone can look up the law in California at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html. There are very clear definitions about what is and is not legal.

Sure, there are lots of mods out there that violate the law, but this doesn't mean I can't modify my car without violating the law. And unlike you, I run a front plate, I don't have illegal tint, and my cars are not illegally lowered. I don't have a badge to get me out of the ticket, but were I an officer or an officer's son/daughter, I could expect that I would not have to obey the law the same as the rest of us. And yes, I have officers in my list of friends, you can't deny an officer gets different treatment from the rest of the public. It's no different that making a contribution to the 11-99 Foundation; it buys special status on a traffic stop just from a license plate frame. I'd bet money if josephdoc's wife had an 11-99 Foundation plate frame, she'd have never even noticed a cop in the area.
Old 10-21-06, 03:08 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 11-99 only protects you from the CHP. Basically if you have it they'll usually let you be assuming you aren't doing anything outrageous. If you get pulled over, expect a ticket from a cop. If they notice your license plate frame, they might like you get away with the minor things (such as tint). One last thing I would like to add, don't mention your 11-99 frame, they already saw it when they ran your plates, mentioning it is a bit insulting.

G'luck.

p.s. Some of you CL guys are a bit too uptight. If it was considered dangerous to drive around with the tint, she could've just drove home with her windows down.
Old 10-21-06, 03:14 PM
brravvo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.
i cant believe that.
i would laugh at the cop if he said im taking your tints off now.
take this moron to court.
trust me.
Old 10-21-06, 09:45 PM
Xelvic
Driver

You said the cop gave her the option of....

Then the cop offered her two options:
1. Have the car towed and go to the court.
2. Remove the front tints at scene

It sounds like she picked #2. Would she have been more happy with option #1. The thing about the tint on the front window is that there is no dispute that it is illegal. Why would he give you the option of going to court first when this is a civil violation that can be corrected on site. I seen a cop the other day taking off those little blue lights that people put on there cars that show to the front. I see no problem with what the cop did, even more so because he gave you the choice.
Old 10-21-06, 10:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Right, and what if he damages your property while he removes the offending item? Only a fool would take that risk.
Old 10-21-06, 11:36 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Where do cops come up with this BS? ANY modification from stock? I can't think of a more uninformed statement, and I've heard it before from cops who don't know the law and don't care to read it.

It's not illegal to tint, to lower, to change tires and wheels, to change mufflers, to modify the body either with kits or by pure fabrication, etc., etc., AS LONG AS you are not in violation of the vehicle code. Anyone can look up the law in California at http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html. There are very clear definitions about what is and is not legal.

Sure, there are lots of mods out there that violate the law, but this doesn't mean I can't modify my car without violating the law. And unlike you, I run a front plate, I don't have illegal tint, and my cars are not illegally lowered. I don't have a badge to get me out of the ticket, but were I an officer or an officer's son/daughter, I could expect that I would not have to obey the law the same as the rest of us. And yes, I have officers in my list of friends, you can't deny an officer gets different treatment from the rest of the public. It's no different that making a contribution to the 11-99 Foundation; it buys special status on a traffic stop just from a license plate frame. I'd bet money if josephdoc's wife had an 11-99 Foundation plate frame, she'd have never even noticed a cop in the area.
i did not mean to say all moddifications are illegal, however most are and "can" be "considered" those are the operative words in that statement. And there are various types of laws other then vehicle code violations that can be issued.
My issue with the law is that its not applied equally, and that officer discression is relied on to much on the street. I disagree with the way the law is interpeted by alot of officers and that this example of the window tint is an extreme case of the issue.
I have recived many tickets through out my life, retired and on the job. I dont make excuses i take my lumps as i get them and dont expect any special treatment, in fact i have issues with officers that do expect that. It corrupts the integrity or what is left of that profession, i retired in 1999 and very happy i did, i moddify my cars the way I feel fit and if i get a ticket i pay it and move on, i dont expect the officer to run my plates and say oh hey your retired move on and have a nice day, i admit that my mods are illegal and i disagree with the laws regarding it, in now way am i trying to say that i expect special treatment, and the statement you quoted i think was misinterpeted.

Last edited by kilo6_one; 10-21-06 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 01:26 AM
debosteebo
Driver School Candidate

i never understood why only front tints are illegal and not also the back. Wouldnt the same reasons why front tints are illegal apply for back window tints as well? what makes it unreasonable that there is not a back seat passenger who is a suspect/has a weapon/victim/etc. ?
Old 10-22-06, 08:44 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The whining about the law is rediculous. If you don't like the law, write a letter or call your congressman....and yes, I'm serious. Blatantly violating the law and then crying like a little girl is retarded. If you want tints SO badly that you're willing to knowingly break the law, then be prepared to get caught. If your life is ruined by not having the tint % you want, then move to a different state.

This subject pisses me off, because idiots that can't follow simple rules waste tax dollars. People complain that cops are wasting time and should be catching bank robbers. My response to that is that they COULD spend more time catching bank robbers if people would pull their heads out of their butts and follow simple rules.

Grow up, keep your car legal, and find something real to complain about.
Old 10-22-06, 07:18 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
The whining about the law is rediculous. If you don't like the law, write a letter or call your congressman....and yes, I'm serious. Blatantly violating the law and then crying like a little girl is retarded. If you want tints SO badly that you're willing to knowingly break the law, then be prepared to get caught. If your life is ruined by not having the tint % you want, then move to a different state.

This subject pisses me off, because idiots that can't follow simple rules waste tax dollars. People complain that cops are wasting time and should be catching bank robbers. My response to that is that they COULD spend more time catching bank robbers if people would pull their heads out of their butts and follow simple rules.

Bravo, well put!
Old 10-23-06, 07:38 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951

I have to agree. Grassroots campaigns do work to change laws. Many helmet laws have been overturned through aggressive lobbying and the organized groups work in many states. There is no reason a similar campaign can't be waged on the tint side. Get organized and present the facts to the right people with sane arguments. Whining about getting stopped and getting busted for an illegal tint doesn't solve anything. If it's against the law it's against the law.
Old 10-23-06, 08:57 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

damn, I'm glad I don't live in California! I would have called my lawyer on the scene before allowing that idiotic cop to do anything.
Old 10-23-06, 09:50 AM
omggimme
Driver School Candidate

Every car that gets pulled over is essentially "targeted" by a cop.

This isn't the first time this has happened, my friend's S2K got pulled over in Fremont on Walnut Ave. and he had to remove the tint right there as well.
Old 10-23-06, 10:02 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Wait..

So you mean to tell me you don't know your states local tint laws? I know mine. The darkest tint available to be put on a car is 35% if you exceed that expect to be bothered by a State Trooper (as they are the only ones with the power to do so).

They aren't worried about the leather in your car -- they don't want your tint to be too dark for the officer's safety. Pulling someone over at night, with really dark tint makes it abit hard for the officer to see what the driver/passenger is doing in the vehicle, I.E. -- are they reaching for anything or is there excessive movement in the cab? The majority of you screaming -cop hater- I am saddened by your behavior. Those two options are probably and most likely the options that you should already be prepared to face with illegal tint. If not, if those options aren't stated out there for public record -- or common knowledge then you could call "foul play." I think drivers should be more aware of their situation before they start shouting their *delicate sensibilites* I.E. your RIGHTS have been assaulted.

In my state if your tint is too dark and a state trooper pulls you over he/she gives you a ticket and slashes -MHP- (MS Highway Patrol) in each window forcing you to get a retint or remove it.
Old 10-23-06, 10:05 AM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

-Sorry To Hear That Bro!..* Fudge A Cop! Only People I Dont Respect!! I Would Have Asked For His Badge Number And His Name! Lol Hope Everything Turns Out Well!..*
Old 10-23-06, 02:27 PM
Xelvic
Driver

Originally Posted by XtrabOoSt
-Sorry To Hear That Bro!..* Fudge A Cop! Only People I Dont Respect!! I Would Have Asked For His Badge Number And His Name! Lol Hope Everything Turns Out Well!..*

(EDITED) You don't respect the cops? I hope every cop in your town goes on strike for a week. Then we will see who you would rather respect....the guy trying to rape your wife and molest your kids....or the cop that trys to stop him. You would have asked for his name and badge....SO WHAT! If he is within his power to do that to your tint then what is your whinning complaint going to be about. Remember, cops don't make the law they enforce it. GROW UP!!!

Last edited by LexFather; 10-23-06 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Police Executed my wife's 350