IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Police Executed my wife's 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 03:02 PM
XtrabOoSt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xelvic
EDITEDYou don't respect the cops? I hope every cop in your town goes on strike for a week. Then we will see who you would rather respect....the guy trying to rape your wife and molest your kids....or the cop that trys to stop him. You would have asked for his name and badge....SO WHAT! If he is within his power to do that to your tint then what is your whinning complaint going to be about. Remember, cops don't make the law they enforce it. GROW UP!!!
Lmao I Can Go On Forever About Cops! Stick To The Thread "Buddy"!

Last edited by LexFather; 10-23-06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 03:16 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Xelvic
EDITED You don't respect the cops? I hope every cop in your town goes on strike for a week. Then we will see who you would rather respect....the guy trying to rape your wife and molest your kids....or the cop that trys to stop him. You would have asked for his name and badge....SO WHAT! If he is within his power to do that to your tint then what is your whinning complaint going to be about. Remember, cops don't make the law they enforce it. GROW UP!!!
Whoa, not to turn this into a good cop vs bad cop thread, and not trying to take this in a totally different direction, but you realize that the old adage to "protect and serve" is a misnomer.

The courts have demonstrated time and time again that the job of the police is not to protect, but to investigate crimes. People have tried to sue the police departments in various states on various occassions because they have been victim of crimes, and they were not protected. The courts have sided with the police most of the time (special exceptions apply, but the majority of the rulings favor the police.). This is not to say that an officer _never_ protects. There are cases where officers will stop a crime in progress, but often times officers are in an investigative mode, not a protective mode.

Also, your example of "rape your wife and molest your kids", is a poor example for this discussion. You're talking about a sex crime versus a tint infraction. So, that's a pretty extreme crime versus something no worse than a parking ticket. Keep in mind that for your example in particular, an offender is caught AFTER the fact, and NO protection has occured.

Let's try to keep this in perspective, shall we?

I agree that if the police want to issue an infraction for something that is not within the law, they are within reason to do so. I believe in this case the IS350 in question and the driver were both treated unfairly. I've received 3 tint tickets in Southern California (before I just gave up and stopped tinting the front windows), and not once did the officer demand that I remove the tint on the side of the road. So in that regard, I'm not in agreement with the officer's actions, and I believe corrective action should've been taken against the officer.

-Brian

Last edited by LexFather; 10-23-06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-23-06, 03:32 PM
omggimme
Driver School Candidate

just because you were not asked to remove the tint right then and there, doesn't mean its wrong. this used to be a fix-it ticket issue a few years ago and now they've changed it. it has happened to other people who are in the same boat and feel like this has only happened to them. but when you really ask around people that LIVE in the area, its not unheard of. i'm pretty sure you only have a legitimate case if the car's tint was really over the legal limit. your wife's lucky the officer took it off for her, the guy made my friend take it off himself.
Old 01-05-07, 06:04 PM
400 Degrez
Driver

Screw the Law move to Florida
Old 01-05-07, 09:58 PM
2point5is
Driver School Candidate

ill tell you an honest to god true story that happened back east where i used to live.

in new hampshire the cops, (like ALL cops) are *******s about 1 certain law that they pick. in new hampshire its window tint.

well a kid got pulled over in his honda civic tha had tint on the front windows. the cop got all bull**** at him and told him he himself was taking the tint off. he peeled the tint off the 2 front windows and gave the kid a ticket. the kid drove off and was on his way home when his hair got stuck in the glue on the window from tint, after looking left on the highway entrance ramp. he lost control of his car, went off the road and DIED! no joke it was on the news and everything. i hope that cop feels guilt for the rest of his life. anyways any cop that tells you to take it off tell him that story. it happened in manchester new hampshire if they want to look it up.

Landon
Old 01-05-07, 10:56 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

I too think this is unreal, and unjust. I do have a background in criminal justice and I can see the side of tint on windows. It can be scary to walk up to a car you can not see in. You don't know if there is a weapon pointing at you when you approch the vech. You can't see in. But, what happened to your wife has to be with a new officer. Not a veteran, or long standing officer. Veterans don't waste their time.
Old 01-05-07, 11:55 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

There are legal ways around the tint issue - tint law has gotten ridiculous here in the South.. Earlier last year May '06 - I bought me a new coupe - my interior is that bone color and man is it bright in the car.. Tint in GA & AL is 35% but most dealers I check with the premium tint only carry 38%, well if you ever seen 35% it sucks and you can see right thru the car (looking thru both side windows) yes, it cuts out some light but to me its almost like having clear windows..Anyways, to make a long story short - Ever since I had Lasiks - I've been sensitive to light, not so much now but sometimes on ocassion it can get pretty bad and with my interior being almost white - I did some research on the tint law - What I found out : you can get a Medical Waiver for tint. Theres people with eye conditions like Glaucoma that are exempt from the tint law, I called the state of GA & AL.. And with a medical doctor proving you do have a legitimate eye condition you can be exempt from the tint law - not limo tint but acceptably dark tint.. I went to my eye doctor/surgeon - got a form/letter for him to fill out to send to the state - got an approval from the state - a letter to keep in my vehicle in case I was pulled over stating my exemption to the tint law.. Heck, you don't have to have eye surgery to have light sensitivity - In real bright sunlight - I think most people fall under this category.. If you want tint or need tint bad enough - Check with California law about medical waivers - Go see your eye physician - complain about "light sensitivity & headaches" which is hard to prove that you have or not have - its subjective to each person..folllow the law and make the law work for you..

As result my physician wrote that I can have up to 20% tint on all my windows - but I find that 20% with the factory tint (theres some on there) it could fall to 16-17% - knowing this, I opted for 28% and my tint registers right at 24-25% which is medicore.. Plenty dark where you can see in but not see me.. if i was ever siting next to a cop it will visually past because my interior is very light.. (which i did pull up to a light with a cop siting there) I waived at him and he waived back..So that pretty much solves my problem and for GA their pretty bad about the tint issue but then again I always got my medical waiver if they decide to pull me over..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 01-05-07 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-06-07, 01:36 AM
khoongy
Driver

cops r stupid. " to protect and to serve" .. yeah right. removing dark tint isnt going to save anybody's life. go fight some REAL crime, stupid pigs.

yes, without cops there would be no order in our societies..but do they really have to be so **** about this kind of stuff? its not harming anybody.
Old 01-06-07, 01:46 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by khoongy
cops r stupid. " to protect and to serve" .. yeah right. removing dark tint isnt going to save anybody's life. go fight some REAL crime, stupid pigs.

yes, without cops there would be no order in our societies..but do they really have to be so **** about this kind of stuff? its not harming anybody.
Have you ever talked to a police officer that you know personally about dark tint? I have friend's and even family members that are law enforcement. During certain stops they can be scared out of their mind of the unknown when they can't see into the car clearly and the offender is not being 100% cooperative. Police offers have been killed in the line of duty making a simple traffic stop simply because they didn't see the gun.

You may not like the tint laws, but don't take it out on the police and call them stupid pigs. You are calling some of my friends and family members pigs and that is just not cool.
Old 01-06-07, 08:25 AM
PIMPALA-SS
Driver

when he told her he was going to strip the tint off, she should have just rolled the windows all the way down, and said "what tint?"

state law doesnt require you to even have side windows in the car. she could have them tinted for when the car is parked, and rolls them down for driving. (at least when their are cops around)
Old 01-06-07, 09:59 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one can approve the officer's irregular procedure. Nonetheless, if something did happened to the car while removing the tint the State's lawyers could always argue that it is self-inflicted Tort. At least, a contributory negligence since there is in this case a willing predisposition or criminal intention to break the law.

In the other hand, the real problem here (besides the police and the driver) is the law, but the law is what the law says, blame the politicians you consistently elect for the policies that governs your daily commute.

If anything can go wrong, it will !! It was a question of time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with your situation, but it is a clear example that Murphy was an optimist !!!
Old 01-06-07, 10:03 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Man that really sucks. Ive never been happier to live in TX.
Old 01-06-07, 10:50 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I the only one?

This seems to be another one of those threads where it’s:

• The law be damned, I’ll do anything I want.
• Tint laws don’t exist for safety reasons; they’re just to harass drivers.
• My comfort is more important than obeying any stupid law.
• I don’t give a crap if the cops cannot see in; they’re a bunch of pigs anyway.
• I know a way to get a trumped up medical waiver just to get around the law.
• If I kill a pedestrian at night because I didn’t see him; too bad, the SOB shouldn’t have been out there in the first place.

Am I the only one who gets tired of this sort of thing?
Old 01-06-07, 12:04 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Have you ever talked to a police officer that you know personally about dark tint? I have friend's and even family members that are law enforcement. During certain stops they can be scared out of their mind of the unknown when they can't see into the car clearly and the offender is not being 100% cooperative. Police offers have been killed in the line of duty making a simple traffic stop simply because they didn't see the gun.

You may not like the tint laws, but don't take it out on the police and call them stupid pigs. You are calling some of my friends and family members pigs and that is just not cool.
I agree entirely with this assessment.

I have heard from several cop friends that if you are pulled over, especially at night, turn the dome light on and place both hands on the steering wheel. If you have tint, I'd probably roll the windows down (not so you don't get busted, but so the cop can safely see inside your car), but at least have the dome light on.

That way when the officer approaches your vehicle, they can see your hands and inside the car. That act alone dramatically reduces their stress level on the traffic stop. That may bode well for you because you might get a warning instead of a ticket.

Off topic about the tint, yes, but good advice for everyone I would say.