IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 10:36 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down IS 250 vibrations

I am getting a little irritated right now at my car and have an appointment to take it in on Wed.

Let me describe the situation...

When I come to a stop i notice the RPM's droop down then back up, but when they droop down (to about 500rmp) I feel a quick shudder then the car seems to "recover" itself and hold the idle at like 600 or so. It almost feels as though it is trying not to stall. This happens with the AC on or off.

Also when sitting at idle with the AC on I notice that every now and then I feel the car shake as the RPM drops and I assume its probaby the fan turning on...but I don't think it shoudl strain the engine like it feels like it is doing.

Also witht he AC off and just sitting there at a stop light I can feel the car vibrating.

Beside that problem, I am having a few other issues:

-Gap between silver molding that comes up to the bottom of the radio console.

-Rattle in passenger side (no idea where its comming from)

-mis-aligned front passenger bumper (lower valice part)

-white streaks that are rough to the touch ont he drivers leather seat

Is anybody else experiancing these issues?? Am I being over exagerated about these things.....because so far I am dissapointed with lexus build quality, which everyone seems to rave about.....
Old 06-29-06, 10:45 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

My 350 suffers from a slight shudder when the radiator fans come on as well... Can't say I've noticed the shudder when coming to a stop though.

EDIT: I'm not sure how severe your shuddering is, but mine is fairly minor, nowhere near severe enough to cause a stall.

My leather is also showing signs of premature wear, and i've also noticed some uneven moldings/pieces in and around the dash and center console. I love the car despite its faults, but the 2IS is definatly the worst assembled lexus I have been in.

Last edited by Ramon; 06-29-06 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 12:22 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk
I have that too.
Old 06-30-06, 06:52 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

All my toyota cars have had the problem of shudder and the tach will bounce way too low. Have them adjust your idle which should be about 1100 when the car is warmed up. <500 and the car is trying not to stall.
Old 06-30-06, 09:39 AM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sailing217
All my toyota cars have had the problem of shudder and the tach will bounce way too low. Have them adjust your idle which should be about 1100 when the car is warmed up. <500 and the car is trying not to stall.
thats what i'm gong to do, but 1100???that seems kind of high.
Old 06-30-06, 10:19 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it in and have them re-set the idle. 500 rpm is low for any car. I think mine idles around 750
Old 06-30-06, 11:58 AM
nighthawk
Pole Position

how do I reset the ECU maybe if I did that it would reset it without going to the dealer???
Old 06-30-06, 12:01 PM
MCLAREN369
Driver School Candidate

Beside that problem, I am having a few other issues:

-Gap between silver molding that comes up to the bottom of the radio console.

-Rattle in passenger side (no idea where its comming from)

-white streaks that are rough to the touch ont he drivers leather seat

Is anybody else experiancing these issues?? Am I being over exagerated about these things.....because so far I am dissapointed with lexus build quality, which everyone seems to rave about.....
Something also rattles on my passsenger side. At first it thought it might be the manual but that wasn't the case.
Old 06-30-06, 02:03 PM
taejin09
Lead Lap

^^^ I also thought it was my manual, my sunglasses, or my ipod. I basically took everything out of my car and drove around and still heard a rattle on the passenger side. Im getting that checked up as soon as I reach close to 5000 miles. Also, I have this noise comming from the gauge cluster but it happens randomly so I dont know how I will report it to the dealership. I've searched and it seems like I am the only one hearing a weird noise from the gauge cluster. I cannot describe the sound but it is a extremely fast rattle as if the needles of the guage cluster are shaking. It is real hard to describe but that is what it sounds like. I will tell you guys the problem after the service!
Old 06-30-06, 02:12 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

how do I reset the ECU maybe if I did that it would reset it without going to the dealer???
You could unplug the negative terminal on the battery overnight. I don't know if that will reset the ECU on the IS but it will on some other cars.
Old 06-30-06, 02:13 PM
MCLAREN369
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by taejin09
^^^ I also thought it was my manual, my sunglasses, or my ipod. I basically took everything out of my car and drove around and still heard a rattle on the passenger side. Im getting that checked up as soon as I reach close to 5000 miles. Also, I have this noise comming from the gauge cluster but it happens randomly so I dont know how I will report it to the dealership. I've searched and it seems like I am the only one hearing a weird noise from the gauge cluster. I cannot describe the sound but it is a extremely fast rattle as if the needles of the guage cluster are shaking. It is real hard to describe but that is what it sounds like. I will tell you guys the problem after the service!
The rattle also happens randomly in my car. Hopefully the dealer already knows of this and can offer a quick fix. I hope it's not in the dash because i don't want my baby to be taken apart.

Is this an issue with only IS250s or are IS350s also hearing the rattle?
Old 06-30-06, 02:23 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt really worry about the vibrations. im guessing you see the rpms drop pretty darn low when you come to stop, right? i also assume your car has very few miles on it. i think the ECU is just learning and the car should eventually idle smoothly. this has happened to my 350 but after the break in period the car runs very smooth and the rpms are very consistent and low (550-600 or so) which is good for idle fuel consumption.
Old 07-16-06, 09:18 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by taejin09
I have about 7,000 miles on my car and I just started noticing the rattles in my gauge cluster. It only rattles when I first start the car and the needles are doing that cool on and off thing. Just wondering if a lot of people are getting this as well?
Old 07-16-06, 10:43 AM
jezza
Driver

My car has a number of rattles, all from various locations (drivers side door panel, passenger side B pillar (maybe) and a few others I can't pin down).

I'm not going to bring it to the dealer, because every dealer experience I've ever had with resolving issues like these is either bad or worse... things typically come back worse than when I brought it in.

I'm very disappointed... I'd expected Lexus build quality to be much better than this. I still love the car, but at $35k, I'd expect something with a lot less interior quality issues. My Subaru had fewer rattles, and it cost a good $18k less.
Old 07-16-06, 10:51 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jezza
My car has a number of rattles, all from various locations (drivers side door panel, passenger side B pillar (maybe) and a few others I can't pin down).

I'm not going to bring it to the dealer, because every dealer experience I've ever had with resolving issues like these is either bad or worse... things typically come back worse than when I brought it in.

I'm very disappointed... I'd expected Lexus build quality to be much better than this. I still love the car, but at $35k, I'd expect something with a lot less interior quality issues. My Subaru had fewer rattles, and it cost a good $18k less.
I feel exactly the same way. I've driven my WRX on the 101N freeway and no rattles... and yesterday I took my IS350 on the same freeway and the dash sounded like it was going to pop out. The rattling in the gauge cluster is bearable since it only happens when I start up the car, but it's still weird hearing rattling just from starting the car up.

Quick Reply: IS 250 vibrations