IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

where can i find some sway / strut bars for the is350 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 12:19 PM
linnboi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i find some sway / strut bars for the is350 ???

i'm lookin for some strut bars and sway bars to improve the handling a bit. what else could i touch up to improve the handling department.....?

anyone got a clue ..... ?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i've checked a few sites here and there already.
Old 06-30-06, 12:22 PM
sashax415
Pole Position

i believe eibach should be coming out with a set of sways very soon...if it is not out already..
Old 06-30-06, 12:57 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by linnboi
i'm lookin for some strut bars and sway bars to improve the handling a bit. what else could i touch up to improve the handling department.....?

anyone got a clue ..... ?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i've checked a few sites here and there already.
Hey linnboi, I spoke with Steve @ LMS and the front/rear struts bars are being produce right now. I think it'll be ready with the month or less. I already waiting for a set myself...
Old 06-30-06, 01:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i know adding strut bars will induce either understeer or oversteer (I think) if so which bar will induce understeer and which will induce over?
Old 06-30-06, 01:34 PM
sashax415
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i know adding strut bars will induce either understeer or oversteer (I think) if so which bar will induce understeer and which will induce over?
I am a little rusty w/ suspension... but i believe that sway bars are way more effective than strut bars when you want to inc/dec. oversteer or understeer. If i remember correctly, a thicker rear sway bar will decrease understeer and even possibly cause the car to oversteer. So if you want more understeer, then you would want a thicker front sway. I haven't pushed the IS at all so i don't know how it handles stock.
Old 06-30-06, 02:07 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sway bars should be used to fine tune the suspension and not to change it dramatically.

Your car's springs actually have more of a say in terms of over/understeer.

All other things being equal, to reduce understeer, you want to stiffen the rear bar and/or soften the front bar. To reduce oversteer, you want to do the opposite.

Stiffer sways also tend to help keep the car flatter through a corner. Lot of people like this because it's more confidence inspiring. However, going too stiff may actually hurt performance as you will start losing the benefits of an independent suspension and your overall, max grip may suffer.
Old 06-30-06, 02:27 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Tanabe is looking into developing chromoly stabilizers for the IS. No TB though (have to remove all the plastic engine covers, which in some cases help with the airflow under the hood) Should be a lot of parts available by 2007 from all of the companies.

Tower bars assist in the initial response towards steering inputs, but won't really have an effect on lateral forces like a stabilizer will. There are always compromises on each part, so significantly stiffer is not always better.

Best suspension upgrade is tires-- good tires will allow you to get the most out of the car, and any minor suspension upgrades (springs, dampers, stabilizers) that come along the way.

Drastic upgrades to the suspension are not wholly necessary IMO, since it's doubtful that majority of people will be able to get the most out of an advanced suspension setup that has lots of adjustable settings (which usually serve to confuse or allow for errors).

A nice case study would be one of the street car challenges that happened a few years back...a grid of highly modified 800+ hp cars with tons of bolt on upgrade parts....the winner? Stock Z06 Corvette.
Old 06-30-06, 03:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sashax415
I am a little rusty w/ suspension... but i believe that sway bars are way more effective than strut bars when you want to inc/dec. oversteer or understeer. If i remember correctly, a thicker rear sway bar will decrease understeer and even possibly cause the car to oversteer. So if you want more understeer, then you would want a thicker front sway. I haven't pushed the IS at all so i don't know how it handles stock.
ok so sway bars do the inducing, and i guess strut bars just stiffen the chassis. My bros TSX has a factory front strut bar, and it feels very good in a corner
Old 06-30-06, 04:08 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

yea strut bars stiffen the chassis. The IS doesn't have much slop. Stiffening the chassis helps keep suspension geometry in line which increases cornering power and tightens the steering which increases handling feel. Cornering power and handling feel relate but are not inclusive of each other.

Besides controling sway, the sway bars do affect contact force and balance as others have stated. They also effect the overall spring rate along with the coils. Sway bars are primarily used to increase handling feel so that the chassis follows the steering input without lagging behind. They increase cornering power by preventing the chassis' inertial momentum from abruptly pulling the tires from the road. They also increase cornering power by keeping the suspension in the optimal position. Most suspensions will have less optimal geometry at it's extremes in travel.

Too much sway bar and your cornering power goes away due to the bumps in the road we all face.

Here is an old pic of a brace I fabricated for my Camaro. That car had a REALLY loose chassis.

Last edited by HaveBlue; 06-30-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 05:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

so there wouldnt be any negative performance consequences of adding a front strut bar then. I know with the sways you can do all that inducing under/over steering but I dont want to mess with that
Old 06-30-06, 05:53 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

when i look on the box of my eibach prokit it has pics of some i believe, so i would check their site.
Old 07-23-06, 05:12 PM
linnboi
Rookie

Default What's the best sway bars to use????

does anyone know where i can find some good sway bars for the is350? im also lookin for strut bars too! anything to improve the handling of the car would be great!
Old 07-23-06, 05:40 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Hey came across these. http://www.hopupracing.com/eiankitfrrea27.html
Old 07-23-06, 11:25 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by accelerate
nice find! anyone got these on their car yet?
Old 07-23-06, 11:51 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i heard those haven't even been released by eibach yet???

Quick Reply: where can i find some sway / strut bars for the is350 ???